• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Large bore muzzle loader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oomcurt

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm kinda curious about something. Seems to me that the fur trade trappers used larger bore guns than are currently being offered. I mean, I may be totally wrong here but how is it that there are no commercially made ones that are say... 58 cal or 62 cal or such?

Thanking those that reply in advance,
Curt

RE: Bigger Calibers. Even the .54cal guns are getting more and more scarce. It's getting harder to find typcial hunting guns over .50cal anymore.

BUT... There are still a good many "civil war" replica guns in .58 caliber available from a variety of sources. You can get a custom Underhammer gun in .62 from Blue Grouse. Green Mountain makes "drop in" barrels in .58cal rifled and .62cal smooth bored for the T/C Renegade. And you can contract with most custom gun makers for just about whatever caliber you want. A 2-band Enfield, Zouave, or one of the "Artillery Carbines" are heavy guns to carry around all day. But they are 58cal and properly loaded are effective against even bigger game than deer.

As far as typical hunting type guns goes, assuming you mean why aren't there inlines or Hawken style sidelock guns in the larger calibers... T/C used to make the Firehawk inline in .58cal. and the System 1 inline had a .58cal accessory barrel available. The Cabelas Hawken used to be made in .58cal. The .62cal bore is the equivalent to 20gauge shotgun bore size and most people don't want a smoothbore gun for hunting.

Generally people don't like to shoot more gun (with more recoil) than is necessary to take deer, so the bigger calibers just aren't as popular. That's why you don't see them except in discontinued used model guns or custom guns.

Hope some of this made sense. Sometimes my fingers type faster than my brain thinks. :crackup:

Shoot Safely!
WV_Hillbilly

I'm kinda curious about something. Seems to me that the fur trade trappers used larger bore guns than are currently being offered. I mean, I may be totally wrong here but how is it that there are no commercially made ones that are say... 58 cal or 62 cal or such?

Thanking those that reply in advance,
Curt

Also, a few years ago TC introduced the .58cal TC Hawken in both cap & flint...TC's Fox Ridge store is 1-800-243-4570

roundball,

Your reply triggered another bit of info from the dusty corners of my brain pan. :hmm: Thompson Center used to make the "Big Boar" rifle in .58cal also. I think they stopped making those maybe around 7 or 8 yrs ago. I imagine there weren't too many produced though I've seen some offered for sale occasionally.

I believe Fox Ridge offers the .58cal versions of both the Hawken AND the Renegade. Looks like there is a .58cal flintlock version of the Hawken. They make a .58cal "drop in barrel" for the Renegade also. :D

So there are a few sidelock choices available, but no current .58cal inlines that I'm aware of. :sorry:

I have a Brown Bess Trade Gun which is a replica of the type arms the English traded to the Indians in the early 1700's. A simplified and shortened version of the English Brown Bess military arm.

The gun is a flinter with a smooth .75 bore and a approximately a 31" tapered barrel. I shoot a .735 PRB, heavy ticking, backed with 75-80 grains of Goex FF and primed with FFFF. Mine has iron hardware but the newer units I see in the Dixie Guns Works catalog have brass trim.

I originally bought the gun for reenactments about 16-17 years ago but I'm not into that anymore.

The gun is lots of fun to shoot. When I was shooting it regularly I could shoot to 4-5 " groups off hand to 50 yards. Groups spread out closer to 8" or more at 75 yards. I've seen others shoot 100 yard matches using the military replica's of this gun and they are able to stay within a 10" target. The longer military barrel and their younger eyes help I'm sure.

I did take a couple of does with it years ago when I first got the gun. The .735 RB packs a far amount of wallup at 50 yards or less.

At the time I bought the gun there were several large bore (.58, .62. .70. 75) "factory made replica" guns of this type available. There were also several kits available. The only factory copy I know of at this time is sold by Dixe Gun Works. You might check with some of the muzzleloading specialty shops like the Log Cabin Shop in Lodi, Ohio. There are others that advertise on the NMLRA (National Muzzleloading Rifle Association) site to see if they still offer guns or kits of this style.

I bought an H&R underhammer kit from Bruce at Blue Grouse in .36 and he directed me to Bill Moody for a .72 bbl for it. I had to have another feller dovetail it for sights. I love it! Recoil is a bit stout, but I wanted a big boomer for elk. Bruce had a 4-bore smoothie bbl at his house 'bout a year ago. What an awesome looking thing!

i want to get used renegade and a green mountain .62 rifled barrel. then then restock it full length, add diferent triggerguard & buttplate. ain't no jager but close as im gonna get for now!

i want to get used renegade and a green mountain .62 rifled barrel. then then restock it full length, add diferent triggerguard & buttplate. ain't no jager but close as im gonna get for now!

I don't think you are going to be able to do that. Green Mountain makes a .62cal smoothbore barrel in 1" but not a .62cal rifled barrel.

Green Mountain does make an excellent .58 caliber that fits the Renegade. I have one and loaded with 100 grains of Goex 2f and a patched roundball this rifle is deadly!!

I also have the .62 caliber smoothbore. It will shoot roundball accurate to about 40 yards. After that you're on your own...

dang i must a read it wrong, 1 inch replacement barrel .62 cal. 910246. went and looked again and i think its a .45 brl. did tc make a .62 rifled or smooth?

dang i must a read it wrong, 1 inch replacement barrel .62 cal. 910246. went and looked again and i think its a .45 brl. did tc make a .62 rifled or smooth?

Nope, not that I'm aware of. As cayugad said, the GM .58cal rifled barrel is a real shooter.

I had the same thoughts some yrs. ago and decided I wanted one. I ordered the Jim Bridger 1 1/8" kit from Track of the wolf then got a .75 rifled barrel from Getz. It turned out well and is very accurate. I usually just shoot 60 grs. 3f with the 600 gr. ball. to a 100 yds. that shoots great. I've shot 160 grs. but supposedly a full load would be 240 grs. of 2f. Haven't tried that. Here's what the muzzle looks like.

1muzzleof75Hawken.jpg

What's the twist, Deadeye? It gotta be a roundball twist those lands look almost straight.

I do wish you fellows would stop talking about those .75 calibers.. :: especially rifles . When I read about those things throwing those ingots of lead down range, the desire to own one send me web surfing for days. I have come so close to ordering one a couple times it scared me.

Now reading about shooting 160 grains of powder and that big ball .... WOW! what a rush that must be! I really like shooting large calibers and throwing large chunks of lead around...

Is that the secret of yore contest winnin' group? Puttin' the riflin' on the outside of the barrel? If you tell me it works I'll git one too. :crackup: :master:

Now reading about shooting 160 grains of powder and that big ball .... WOW! what a rush that must be! I really like shooting large calibers and throwing large chunks of lead around...

Well then try not think of that satisfying clearly audible thump you would hear when that 3/4 inch roundball slams into the backstop behind your target, because that just about did it for me.

If any of you guys are anywhere near northeast Penna. I have a .72 cal ,and my standard hunting load for it is
260 gr /2f . with the 500 gr ball.gets 1700+ fps in a 9 1/2 lb gun .
If that is not enough for you , i also have a 4-bore rifle . 1700 gr. 1.040" diameter ball , we have shot it with up to 460gr of 2f . Looking for a volunteer to chronograph some
500+ gr loads .............., Any takers ???
, Joe .

That sounds like something that could be used to hunt rabbits... :hmm: That must really be something to shoot. I like my .62 caliber smoothbore but the accuracy is not what I was hoping for.

Does that big charge have a terrible recoil? I always wondered about that when some of the posters talk about shooting the Bess and other large bore muskets with sizable loads. Or does the weight of the rifle help take the bite out of them? My .58 caliber with 100 grains I really do not feel is all that uncomfortable to shoot, but when you're talking 260 grains, that is a lot of powder.

Latest posts

Back