• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

It's hard to beat the .45 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just confirmed.

" Shoulder-held firearms using ammunition which is factory-rated to produce at least 700 foot-pounds of energy at the muzzle and handguns using ammunition which is factory-rated to produce at least 500 foot-pounds of energy at the muzzle may be used in the hunting of wild turkeys. Muzzleloading firearms of at least .44 caliber and muzzleloading shotguns may also be used for this purpose "

I always liked SD, but it's growing on me more and more yet. It isn't perfect. I don't know why there is a 6 round limit for hunting with semi auto rifle or shotguns. It's not a big deal, but now I have to modify a couple of my guns magazines. In the spring SD is one of the biggest destinations for snow goose hunting, and it's hard for someone outside of the plains to comprehend just how many light geese gather together. There are so many, there's practically no restrictions on them. No daily limit, no (federal) magazine limits, you do still have to use non-toxic shot for some reason, even though almost all light goose hunting is in fields. It's not my cup of tea the way light geese are often hunted, but I'm not here to judge. Anyway, it's common to take 5-6 shots per go, plus between everyone, you will get cripples. A gun that can hold 9+ sure helps finish the job.

Everyone knows about the waterfowl and pheasant hunting in SD. What really surprised me is the opportunities here for turkey. You can have the time of your life... if you are in the right spot. It isn't like back east where you have a chance at a turkey almost anywhere. Aberdeen, you have a better chance of shooting an elk than a turkey. Go 40-50 miles east, and you get into Rio Grande. Go a little farther and you get into Easterns. Apparently a lot of the river bottoms west of the Missouri are loaded with Merriams. I'm heading to the black hills in 2 weeks for turkey (Merriams).

… never took to the 45 myself … have 32, 36, 38 (BP cartridge), 40, 44 (BP cartridge), 50, 52 (original Hall flintlock rifle), 54, 58 (ball [wheellock] & minie [cap gun!]), 60/62, 65, 69, 75 … just ‘depised’ the 45 for some reason!

Last edited:
I don't own a 45 caliber, but I think they are cool for what they are. A longrifle especially in 45 caliber is about as efficient as you get in a muzzleloader with blackpowder. Anything smaller, and you are essentially shooting buckshot. With a moderate powder charge, they really send a ball zipping fast, shooting very flat to 100 yards, and then fall off like a sack of potatoes. That's not necessarily a bad thing, especially if you are hunting in a more densely populated area. It does this with low recoil as well. It's not so much as to destroy smaller animals, and not so little as to be ineffective on larger game like deer and black bear. I don't have one because for most game, I prefer a shotgun. I don't target shoot a ton with rifles, so I don't mind using a bit more lead and powder for the larger calibers. If I did shoot a lot, the 45 caliber would top my list for choices.

for target, small game , and deer it's very economical and deadly when used within its capabilities. nice caliber for younger shooters and hunters.

Another aspect I have come to love about the .45 cal is the ball size. It is about the minimum diameter my ole work worn fingers can handle efficiently without fumbling when loading. 😄 I don't think I could tell the difference (if I didn't know before hand ) between a .44 cal and a .45 cal. rifle.
Many in antiquity started life as .44 cal and after a couple of freshenings became .45 cal.
I doubt the owner could tell a lick of difference if the freshening job was well done which usually entailed mold open as well I would think.

Yeah, it is near ideal. Unfortunately here, it is the minimum legal caliber for deer but not legal for squirrel hunting.
If such a fantasy place could be found with good hunting and the .45 being legal for squirrel, deer, and roundball for turkey,,,,, I can't think of anything better.
Until then, 20 gauge smoothbore is my only equally versatile option, but certainly not of equal economy.
Come to WV.You can hunt all of the above.We even have a special primitive season for sidelock and flint lock besides regular muzzle loader season also you can substitute a muzzle loader for a rim fire during regular deer season

Good day to you on a sunny cold morning 17 miles west of london. Suns nice and warm fox having breakfast I bought it off my brother 11 bore but 12 g wads fit. The lock has Paris on it ???? Just the name. Crown over CP London proofed so that puts it between 1800 and 2005. Not a lot of help on this occasion. ( Google English proof marks ). Probably 1840 not bad fine pits in bore I did not like the pit or corrosion at one point on the outside barrel hope It’s only surface. Original ramrod Unusual. Value £240-£350 just a basic working gun for a farmer yrs it was fired up in the 1970s I gave my brother £200 for it. It goes through my mind to make a rifled barrel for it. But I have so many projects on the go Anyway I cannot legally shoot it as police refused with me at 78 my shotgun S2 licence. But my brother still has an S2 So it could be shot on his S2 licence. Better. If I can sort out the French licence to carry then I can use it there a short hop across the channel. No licence needed for old and repro BP guns. In France Magic. It’s just this thing “ you have to have a reason to carry, In other words land to shoot on, a club of other. Strange laws I wish you well
Yes, I emigrated to France around 6 years ago, heard about the French gun laws (Or lack of them!) around BP guns. So, remembering the fun I had about 20 years ago with my Parker Hale Enfield (really shouldnt have sold it) whilst a member of the U.K. American Civil War society, I took the plunge, got myself a Pietta Remington .44 and an Investarm Hawken .45 . Havent shot the Hawken yet, first time out this coming Sunday on the 200 yd range. CANT WAIT!! I was a Union soldier, btw...

Here in Virginia, .45 is perfect for deer (I hunt with my Hawken or long rifle through the muzzleloading AND modern firearms seasons), and legal for any other game you care to hunt- turkey, squirrels, bears (not MY first choice!), elk, etc.

And, Brockennock, we’ve got right much coastline just a few hours’ drive from some of the prettiest mountains around!

Jay

Yes, I emigrated to France around 6 years ago, heard about the French gun laws (Or lack of them!) around BP guns. So, remembering the fun I had about 20 years ago with my Parker Hale Enfield (really shouldnt have sold it) whilst a member of the U.K. American Civil War society, I took the plunge, got myself a Pietta Remington .44 and an Investarm Hawken .45 . Havent shot the Hawken yet, first time out this coming Sunday on the 200 yd range. CANT WAIT!! I was a Union soldier, btw...
Yes seems you have to have a trading safety licence to shoot Bp on french ranges , but not to buy, once qualified you can have as many unmentionable guns as you like. But seems you have to have a elusive permit to carry Strugling to get it. My friend shot lin the Normandy area nobody bothered him. No licence needed to buy BP guns I keep reading french laws Ewan can advise intake a compound to France but want to take ML too

Here in Virginia, .45 is perfect for deer (I hunt with my Hawken or long rifle through the muzzleloading AND modern firearms seasons), and legal for any other game you care to hunt- turkey, squirrels, bears (not MY first choice!), elk, etc.

And, Brockennock, we’ve got right much coastline just a few hours’ drive from some of the prettiest mountains around!

Jay
I love the .45 for Deer sized big game, deer & antelope.

It doesn’t use much powder, 75 grains of fffg is a stout hunting load in the .45 calibre. With hunting loads it’s relatively flat shooting…fairly good in the wind. Target loads run in the 45 to 55 grain range, I haven’t had a .45 yet that wasn’t accurate, or couldn’t be made to be accurate.

I, really, am impressed with the .45 calibre when hunting deer sized big game…

Apology to those not from Maine I just read this string of stories several times here I UK. I can only dream of such things. thank you for such lovely stories and discussions. Yes i have a .45 never fired it and that’s an original warranted Birmingham lock on it made around 1840 I am the guy that loves big patch boxes Think I would take my .6 cape rifle , with the little round patch box, if I was in bear country. , dreaming again. Such is life in uk I wish you all well
Hello Me. Courtney. I see a most unusual trigger in picture two. If you have time, I would love to read details of its use. Dale

Not quiet sure think you mean trigger guard. Back in 1963 I made a couple of castings for a pair of pistols. Later I cut the brass off for this .45 rifle. That was years ago trigger is just a bit of 1/4”’thick brass The lock genuine warranted 1840 unused from a Birmingham gun factory closing down If I got it wrong ask again I liked the rear sight I designed and made . cannot fire it in uk police won’t give me an S1 cert France that’s another story

Tommy up in Maine , my long rifle mentor says I make ugly rifles , I love sensible large patch boxes oh I just love guns. I love bears but they make nice coats and I gather great burgers.

Love this forum. ( I have mentioned kidney cancer before , two months on painless immunology , and tumours are shrinking one even gone, so don’t be afraid if you get cancer , wonders do happen. Well I am 79’. Ha ha ) Plenty more guns don’t hesitate to ask

Love from across the pond in sunny London. And my 15 ft dia pool is still blue but it don’t match the colour of green grass anymore a long running fun bit on forum

May your God be with you. Love and peace be with you Gordon

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • BFEBD67C-80E9-47C9-907B-B87AAF254BAF.jpeg
    BFEBD67C-80E9-47C9-907B-B87AAF254BAF.jpeg
    977.5 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Over the years I've had several muzzle loading calibers .36, .44. .45, .50, .54 and .58 but I have come to settle on the good ole .45 cal as being one of the most versatile and useful bore sizes around which sort of surprises me as I have always tended toward larger ball diameters in muzzle loading arms. Could be my tendency to be thrifty along with the added years have jaded my opinion but I think there is some sense to what I have settled on.
The .40 has really caught on over the last decade or so but I still think the .45 a better all around caliber not coming up short at the range or in the field. It shoots just as fast as the .40, is less wind sensitive and the recoil is hardly noticeably more.
It can be loaded down for squirrel or up to deer and black bear plus conicals can easily be used in this caliber which has a wide array of offerings available in shape and weight. It also is noticeably thrifty of ball and powder compared to the next larger class of bore diameters.
I think historically bore diameters around this size (.40 to .50 cal) in non military arms, were probably very prevelant especially to the long hunters ,trappers and surveyors who had to pack everything in the wilds.
ONe mans opinion but I have two rifles in the caliber now and both get used more than any of my other larger bores.
You've got my vote! Really makes sense.

I just confirmed.

" Shoulder-held firearms using ammunition which is factory-rated to produce at least 700 foot-pounds of energy at the muzzle and handguns using ammunition which is factory-rated to produce at least 500 foot-pounds of energy at the muzzle may be used in the hunting of wild turkeys. Muzzleloading firearms of at least .44 caliber and muzzleloading shotguns may also be used for this purpose "

I always liked SD, but it's growing on me more and more yet. It isn't perfect. I don't know why there is a 6 round limit for hunting with semi auto rifle or shotguns. It's not a big deal, but now I have to modify a couple of my guns magazines. In the spring SD is one of the biggest destinations for snow goose hunting, and it's hard for someone outside of the plains to comprehend just how many light geese gather together. There are so many, there's practically no restrictions on them. No daily limit, no (federal) magazine limits, you do still have to use non-toxic shot for some reason, even though almost all light goose hunting is in fields. It's not my cup of tea the way light geese are often hunted, but I'm not here to judge. Anyway, it's common to take 5-6 shots per go, plus between everyone, you will get cripples. A gun that can hold 9+ sure helps finish the job.

Everyone knows about the waterfowl and pheasant hunting in SD. What really surprised me is the opportunities here for turkey. You can have the time of your life... if you are in the right spot. It isn't like back east where you have a chance at a turkey almost anywhere. Aberdeen, you have a better chance of shooting an elk than a turkey. Go 40-50 miles east, and you get into Rio Grande. Go a little farther and you get into Easterns. Apparently a lot of the river bottoms west of the Missouri are loaded with Merriams. I'm heading to the black hills in 2 weeks for turkey (Merriams).
The governor is awesome.

Yup, you speak true.
I've spent, a bit of time along the VA coast......

Some of the other things that have been going on there politically in the last fee years have me hesitant to put it high on my lost of places to move to.
But, may have to reevaluate the ides.

But, then I'd have to buy another .45 caliber muzzleloading rifle, 😆

Back