• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Knapping a flint

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
The time has come to sharpen my flint. Worn down, so I need to dress the edge. I don't want to just start a fresh a flint.

Can anyone recommend a site I can go to for some instruction on how to knap a flint? I have searched YouTube, and what's there is more for arrowhead making mainly.

Thanks

There are many ways to knap a flint in your rifle. One of the simplest is to use Larry Callahan's Multi Tool. Use the notch to nibble off small chunks of flint from the striking edge of the flint while the flint is held in jaws of the lock.

I have also used the edge of the frizzen to knap the edge. With the lock at rest, lower the frizzed so the edge of the frizzen is resting on the leading edge of the flint. Use one hand to hold the frizzen firmly against the flint and cock the hammer. That pressure will knap the edge.

I have also made knapping awls. Use at least a 16 penney nail. Flatten the point. File or grind a flat along the nail to make a stepped edge that can catch the leading edge of the flint. Light taps with the short starter, a knife will pressure remove small bits of flint from the edge. There are any number of people who don't like knapping a flint while it is on a gun for fear of sparks. The nail is soft and won't make a spark. The closed frizzen method doesn't draw a spark since the knapping is pressure flaking.

There are small brass knapping hammers that can be used to chip away at the flint, but I don't find I have the control that I want.

After knapping, you may want to adjust your flint edge closer to the frizzen.

I'll let others talk about mizzy wheels and other methods.

Make plenty of sparks

With searches you will find posts here on how to sharpen a dull flint. Basically, while still held in the jaws on the rifle, hold the rifle so you have a finger under the jaws to support the entire cock/hammer. Then using a tool like a small brass hammer tap the edge of the flint to knock off small chips. Most should come off from underneath. But not all flint is created equal and you might just get small breaks. Not a big deal. Tap until you have an edge you are happy with. You might have to reposition the flint in the jaws as it will be a bit shorter now. Some just take the cock/hammer with the flint in the jaws and force it against frizzen to break off tiny pieces. That process bothers me as I think it could put unnatural stress on the lock parts. But, it works for some. That's what I do with knapped flints like black English. I also sometimes just grind new edges using a diamond wheel mounted in my drill press. Or keep the vendors in business by buying several dozen at a time and just tossing when one gets dull. :shocked2: No, no. :shake: That's expensive.

Bugman said:
The time has come to sharpen my flint. Worn down, so I need to dress the edge. I don't want to just start a fresh a flint.

Can anyone recommend a site I can go to for some instruction on how to knap a flint? I have searched YouTube, and what's there is more for arrowhead making mainly.

Thanks
Tap with the spine of your knife up and down the edge of the flint knocking chips off the bottom. I usually go down once and then coming back, knock off the points left by the first pass to get the edge relatively straight. Takes about 30 seconds...

If you will watch the arrowhead knapping videos until the knapper gets to the edge shaping part--that technique is what you want to copy. I use a tine from a deer antler, pressing the tip of the tine into the edge of the flint with a substantial amount of pressure and then, while holding that inward pressure, press down. A small flake will pop off the bottom of the flint. Repeat across the edge of the flint.

You could also use a diamond file. Works for me.
Knapping takes a lot off. The file sharpens it.

LJA said:
If you will watch the arrowhead knapping videos until the knapper gets to the edge shaping part--that technique is what you want to copy. I use a tine from a deer antler, pressing the tip of the tine into the edge of the flint with a substantial amount of pressure and then, while holding that inward pressure, press down. A small flake will pop off the bottom of the flint. Repeat across the edge of the flint.

Yes, should work. But I would not reccomend doing that with the flint held in the jaws of the cock. Would be waaayyyy too easy to damage the lock with pressure on the sear. Do at the work bench.

I posted a short video on pressure flaking a flint edge on this forum some time ago that will get you where you want to go if you can find it on a search engine. Most of the methods described on line are either hard on the lock or akin to shooting sparrows with a four gauge shot gun.
I'll see if I can find it and re-post but I think I may have deleted it because it uses up to much storage. http://s224.photobucket.com/user/m...essure flaking gun flint_zpsxhjxghkm.mp4.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I just clicked on the high lighted script in my post again and the video popped right up and ran.
I don't know what else I can do to make it work for you.

Velley velley odd grasshoppa :hmm: Anyone else see the video? I checked again and see the same broken down gun (stick cracked)....bunch f pics but no video?

I will look later, I may have saved the video the first time you posted, I recall seeing it and it was SUPER.

Sorry, it didn't work for me either. Photos of rolling block and stag horn grips on a pistol. Thanks though.
Gary

Latest posts

Back