• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Source for quality flints ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyron4

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I love Track of the Wolf, and it's my got to for all things muzzleloaders. I always throw a few flints in the cart when I place an order for small parts and such. However, lately the flints have been less than ideal. Getting a lot of "humpbacks" to the point they are almost unusable without some heavy grinding on a diamond wheel, and a few with very crocked edges. I realize they are hand knapped and not an easy task, but can you recommend a place that is considered "the best place" for uniform flat back flints ? I know how picky some of you are here, so it's can't be just me. If I am indeed being to picky just let me know, I'm still somewhat new to flint locks. -Thanks

Heritage products has quality flints
Agreed, I read someone on here talking about them so I ordered some and am going to keep using them that’s for sure they are great flints. Not talking bad on TOTW I get stuff from them all the time but I not only like the Heritage flints I also like supporting a multiple businesses if possible. Being a small business owner myself in this economy every little bit helps!

I'm not short on flints and have all sizes I need. Mine came from several sources including TOTW. I even still have a good supply of Rich Pierce's white flints. Too many over the years were hump back flints but still quite usable. I've also had a few that were worthless. I'll try to keep in mind the "Heritage Products" recommendation.

I've sent flints back to Track of the Wolf because they were not to my liking. A few were not level and couldn't be mounted in the jaws of the cock. I also ordered some 5/8ths flints for my son's Traditions gun, and they were not the right size, measuring 3/4 ×3/4. Too long for his lock, and too small for my Silers. Back they went They will refund your money.

I've sent flints back to Track of the Wolf because they were not to my liking. A few were not level and couldn't be mounted in the jaws of the cock. I also ordered some 5/8ths flints for my son's Traditions gun, and they were not the right size, measuring 3/4 ×3/4. Too long for his lock, and too small for my Silers. Back they went They will refund your money.
Interesting, I recall another member on here saying that TOW told them that their flints were non returnable? I am not doubting you, I am just wondering if there are certain circumstances where they are

I love Track of the Wolf, and it's my got to for all things muzzleloaders. I always throw a few flints in the cart when I place an order for small parts and such. However, lately the flints have been less than ideal. Getting a lot of "humpbacks" to the point they are almost unusable without some heavy grinding on a diamond wheel, and a few with very crocked edges. I realize they are hand knapped and not an easy task, but can you recommend a place that is considered "the best place" for uniform flat back flints ? I know how picky some of you are here, so it's can't be just me. If I am indeed being to picky just let me know, I'm still somewhat new to flint locks. -Thanks
This is a very good reason to learn flint knapping. It isn't that hard and you can always have top quality flints for all your guns no matter what size . The cool part is many of my flints are made from broken point flakes so the waste is turned into flat gun flints.
It takes some time but is actually fun to do while setting outside on a warm day.
If you like company then take your knapping to the park, set out a tarp to collect the sharp waste chip and you will draw a crowd very quickly wanting to watch and ask questions.
P.S. I was told that heat treated chert is not good for gun flints but mine work as well as any I have ever bought.

Latest posts

Back