• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

kit advice please

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitetrash078

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all, I am looking to build my first muzzleloader from a kit. I would like to build a smoothbore, no rifles as I am rifle rich right now. I am looking at totw NW trade gun as well as sitting fox english buck and ball fowler. Do any of you have experience with these kits? And if so could a novice build them with out to much trouble?

thanks

Not sure about those but I've heard good things but these kits. [url] http://www.northstarwest.com/[/url]
Give them a look also.

Last edited by a moderator:
I built a Track Northwest gun, I am very happy with it. You will need to be able to drill and tap the holes for lock and tang screws, solder on barrel lugs and sight, [you can have this done for an extra charge], a little bit of inletting, drilling, and a fair amount of wood removal to get down to proper shape. The barrel on mine needed quite a bit of smoothing to remove the machine marks. Nothing too difficult if you have a little skill.

Give Jack Garner at TVM a call
662-286-5014.
His prices are decent and he will work with you.
IE. cutting the dove tails, inletting the lock, butt plate, etc.
Look around and pick what rights for you at your price range.
Don't spend a too much on it.
It will be both a very rewarding and humbling experiance

With many kits you will get what you pay for. Without question the finest kits you can get for the money are the Jim Chambers kts. The components are all first rate.

If I were to build another trade gun it would be a North Star West Trade gun. I've built two kits from TOTW and they are nice and the company will bend over backward to make something right if you feel its not.

But for the money Jim Chambers kits are head an shoulders above the competition. Look at either the PA fowler or the English Fowler.

I'd sure not build a Chambers kit as my first building experience. Their stuff is top-notch and it could be a waste of fine parts for some folks. There's some skill involved in fitting and shaping and finishing. Those skills need development. I always advise folks to build a musket or trade gun as their first project.

Back