• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tips and advice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have successfully made several pistol and rifle kits, but not recently and my new kit has a few new twists.

I just received an Investarm Gemmer Hawkin .50 flintlock kit. The stock is an unusual wood with quite a bit of figure, but should turn out OK (I am experienced with wood)
20240129_132341.jpg
20240129_132345.jpg
. The hardware is iron and some of it is a bit rough. I have started filing on the trigger guard and see a few hours of work ahead, unless I go to power tools.

Does anyone have any tips, advice or experience with this type of kit?

The lock didn't spark when I tried it, but after sanding off the outer oxide coating on the frizzen I got sparks and fairly consistent ignition. I was very dissappointed with the quite tacky stamped engraving on the lock plate; a plain plate would have been much more preferrable to this insult to the engraver's art.

Attachments

• 20240129_132324.jpg
    20240129_132324.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back