• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

If it sounds too good to be true.........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srspicer

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Greetings All,

I have been contacted by someone who wants three specific, replica rifles made. The issues;

The Quantity, three?
The Improper English used-"I am interested in buying Bucks County Rifle some pieces from you. Picture attached. Can you provide me?
If yes can you tell me specs of this piece?
Thanks "
The poor English alone screams scam. The use of the word 'specs' instead of cost, price or quote is also unusual.
I plan on using TOTW kits to create the rifles, with approval from this possible client.
HOWEVER, I wanted feed back from those who build a higher volume per year than I do. I anticipate emails stating they will send me a check, which is a huge red flag.
Any thoughts and input from the more experienced commission builders will be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanx very much in advance.
Tripp

Greetings All,

I have been contacted by someone who wants three specific, replica rifles made. The issues;

The Quantity, three?
The Improper English used-"I am interested in buying Bucks County Rifle some pieces from you. Picture attached. Can you provide me?
If yes can you tell me specs of this piece?
Thanks "
The poor English alone screams scam. The use of the word 'specs' instead of cost, price or quote is also unusual.
I plan on using TOTW kits to create the rifles, with approval from this possible client.
HOWEVER, I wanted feed back from those who build a higher volume per year than I do. I anticipate emails stating they will send me a check, which is a huge red flag.
Any thoughts and input from the more experienced commission builders will be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanx very much in advance.
Tripp
A guy told me a long time ago: " Anytime you are dealing with a person you don't know, do per CITHF". Cash In The Hands First. No sweat then.
Larry

It sounds fishy to me, but maybe it’s some rich Kuwaiti sheik. Who knows? People in oil-rich countries buy all kinds of stuff. It shouldn’t hurt to ask in advance where the completed rifles will need to be shipped. If you can get paid enough in advance to cover expenses, then paid in full on completion but before shipping, maybe. If they want to wire money for direct deposit in your account, I would hang up and block the caller. I would not open any attachments in their emails, either.

Please let us know how this plays out. Scammers come in all shapes and sizes these days, and they are becoming more creative.

Good luck to you, and please be careful.

Notchy Bob

Thanks for the advice everyone!
@Notchy Bob , Those are my usual terms, Payment for parts, up front start up, full payment upon completion w/ approval via images. Shipping & insurance on the client. I did request an address and I was given a Columbus, Mississippi address. I googled the location and it is not in the middle of a lake. ;}
@PEARL DRUMS -Not a bad idea.

Hard stop time unless down payment clears and covers all upfront expenses. Next question, will you be willing and able to ‘sell’ the guns produced at a price that makes sense if the deal falls through. Guessing $3k plus for the parts sets for the 3 guns….. Will the guns once complete as requested be easy to move at a profitable price? Or will you be waxing your carrot?

To quote a wise man,

If it sounds too good to be true.........​

Payment clearing isn't enough. Charge backs can happen days after a payment clears the bank. If he asks for a refund in the interim, you send the money back to him, then the bank does the chargeback leaving you short. I have no personal experience with this, but I know someone who has been scammed by this on Facebook marketplace. Best bet is to ask your bank for guidance.

Thanks to everyone who responded to this discussion.
I have respectfully declined the commission of three rifle builds. The majority of you have reinforced my initial feeling that this was a possible scam.
Thanx much everyone. I value all of the advice I have been given over the years here.
Huzzah to you all!!
Tripp

Your decision was a hard one to make for sure. On one hand the lure of a three-rifle sale is very tempting. But the risk of being scammed is great by someone you do not know. With so many people coming into this country every day from all parts of the world you can't tell who are honest and who are scammers. Just because someone does not have command of the english language does not mean they are untrustworthy. There are MANY out there that were born in the U.S. and speak great english that are CROOKS through and through! I think you made the right choice for you!

Back