• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler Southern Mountain rifle kit and supplies arrived. It's going to be a fun build.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished the front sight and worked on the stock today.
IMG_20210402_104939.jpg

IMG_20210403_112044.jpg

IMG_20210403_113604.jpg

IMG_20210403_120257.jpg

IMG_20210403_120710.jpg

IMG_20210403_120839.jpg

IMG_20210403_121725_1.jpg

IMG_20210403_123612.jpg

IMG_20210403_123625.jpg
IMG_20210403_123632.jpg

Looking great, Jack! :thumb:

Question about the draw filing. Did you file all the surfaces, or did you leave the ones not seen raw? If you filed all surfaces, did it affect the barrel fit in the stock?

Looking great, Jack! :thumb:

Question about the draw filing. Did you file all the surfaces, or did you leave the ones not seen raw? If you filed all surfaces, did it affect the barrel fit in the stock?
I lightly draw filed the bottom flats which isn't necessary at all but I wanted to test and practice a bit before I did the flats that show. I draw filed the sides and the top. It did loosen up the fit very slightly but not enough to cause any gaps.

I draw file with a fine mill file and don't need to sand at all. I never stroke on the same "space" on the file twice, moving the file over after each stroke until I've gone the length of the file. Then the shavings are cleaned off and I start again. This keeps gouges or scratches from occurring.

I went with two coats of Tannic Acid, one coat of Iron Nitrate, blushed it to bring out the warm tones. Then I used maroon Scotchbrite rubbed a coat of Tried & True oil varnish and Turpentine 50/50, let it soak in then rubbed it back. I had some areas that looked green so I blushed those areas with the heat gun again which worked very well. I'll add several layers of T&T oil (no turp added) and maybe some LMF Maple to add some red/orange hues. Lastly I'll use some of Kibler's Bone Black to add some aged look to it.
IMG_20210407_150511.jpg

IMG_20210407_150908.jpg

IMG_20210407_154917.jpg

IMG_20210407_163215.jpg

I've been using Chambers Stock Finish on mine. The colors seem to stand and more with each coat of oil you put on. Did not need to add any LMF to mine. I used two coats of iron nitrate with trans-tint amber in between.

I've been using Chambers Stock Finish on mine. The colors seem to stand and more with each coat of oil you put on. Did not need to add any LMF to mine. I used two coats of iron nitrate with trans-tint amber in between.
Like to see it. Do you have some pics on another post?

Latest posts

Back