• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler Southern Mountain rifle kit and supplies arrived. It's going to be a fun build.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jack, what's your plan for metal finish? Gray, blue, black, or brown?
I'm going for a French Gray using the same product Jim Kibler uses from Historic House Parts. It's a brass black chemical. I'll rub it back to give it a nice antiqued look. Here's an example:
Mike_Mc_Guire_Southern_Mountain_Rifle_1_of_1_2.jpg

I'm going for a French Gray using the same product Jim Kibler uses from Historic House Parts. It's a brass black chemical. I'll rub it back to give it a nice antiqued look. Here's an example:
View attachment 70431
I'm familiar with the product from Jim's videos. Can't wait to see your results. I'm still trying to decide how I want to do mine.

Looking good! Your post gave me the push I needed to pull the trigger and put my order in for the same rifle you're working on. Looking forward to you getting it finished and shooting.

Looking good! Your post gave me the push I needed to pull the trigger and put my order in for the same rifle you're working on. Looking forward to you getting it finished and shooting.
Thanks Brad! I hope you enjoy assembling your kit as much as I am. You have a bit of a wait but you can use the time to start getting your tools ready, watch Jim's videos, and decide on how you want to finish the metal and stock.

Yeah, it's going to be a few long months! I've watched Jim's videos a few times already. I'm not a gun builder by any means but I've put together 2 rifles from TVM, 1 from Jim Chambers and a smoothbore trade gun from North Star West a few years back. I have about all the tools I need if I can find them ;). Seems I spend more time looking for tools than using them anymore. I'll be following your progress and rooting for ya!!

Worked on the lock today.

Leaned a great tip put duct tape on the back of your sandpaper, it really helps it to last longer.

IMG_20210328_121940.jpg

IMG_20210328_133043.jpg

IMG_20210328_171101.jpg

The pan is one area I take great care to polish to a very smooth fine surface. Helps a lot when shooting to easily brush all the crud out. One just has to be careful to keep the edge that goes against the barrel "crisp" and not rounded over at all.
Good point. I think I'll go back over my pan. Thanks!

Back