• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ordered Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suppose I could have gone the "budget" route with a Traditions kit (and considered it), but my experience with my Kentucky pistol build steered me away from that route.
No, you made the right move. Just get the right tools, a jewelers saw isn’t expensive and always handy to have. Same with jewelers files, you can buy a set at HF for $10.

I chose an SMR for my first "build" because the universal advice was get one and learn how all the parts are SUPPOSED to fit together and line up before attempting a less refined kit build or scratch building. That proved to be sound advice.

I slotted my tenons with a Dremel tool and small diamond-coated cylindrical burr from a $6 set. I know, BLASPHEMY!!! however, if you control the tool well and don't allow the torque of the bit to walk up the side and create a crescent instead of a straight slot, it works very well.

I chose an SMR for my first "build" because the universal advice was get one and learn how all the parts are SUPPOSED to fit together and line up before attempting a less refined kit build or scratch building. That proved to be sound advice.

I slotted my tenons with a Dremel tool and small diamond-coated cylindrical burr from a $6 set. I know, BLASPHEMY!!! however, if you control the tool well and don't allow the torque of the bit to walk up the side and create a crescent instead of a straight slot, it works very well.
Nothing wrong with using a Dremel if it works for you. I hate slotting tennons, not sure why because it’s straightforward, but I still hate doing it. I use a jewelers saw, took me a while to figure out to use a heavier blade. Thankfully the Woodsrunner tennons come factory slotted.

True on the WR, I think they're integral as in barrel metal left in place when the profile is machined. Little by little Jim Kibler is taking all the "fun" (read as "pain in the butt") operations out of the equation for his customers.

True on the WR, I think they're integral as in barrel metal left in place when the profile is machined. Little by little Jim Kibler is taking all the "fun" (read as "pain in the butt") operations out of the equation for his customers.
Yes, one of my Sons has an early SMR in .36, from 3-4 years ago. I was pleasantly surprised on the improvements when I built my .45 over the winter.

I lent my tiny Japanese coping saw out and I was in a pinch finishing up the ends of a wooden patch box and the teeth need to be fine and you won’t believe where I found a make shift substitute for a quick pinch, the Dollar Tree store by accident it’s about 7” x 2.5 with a big ugly black plastic handle on it and the darn thing works. and with a big old commie gold sticker made in China, Go figure

Make sure you have quality wire cutters. My regular wire cutters were almost worthless agains the wire that came with the SMR kit. Had to buy a new high dollar cutter.

Make sure you have quality wire cutters. My regular wire cutters were almost worthless agains the wire that came with the SMR kit. Had to buy a new high dollar cutter.
Use the corner of your bench grinder wheel or an abrasive cut off wheel. If you use Dubro music wire, my favorite, you need to go wth eabrasive route. On the other hand it is beautiful stuff. It is spring temper and polished.

Jim heat threats the music wire to make it easier to cut with the side cutters. A pair of small bolt cutters is pretty handy for this kind of thing.

When I ordered my Colonial and SMR, I made sure I had what I would need ...I included a range rod for each with a jag ( I believe in having a devoted range rod for each caliber, which is stored in the rifle barrel) ,case, extra two ram rod blanks and tips and a few extra wood screws. I got an advance start on shooting supplies from Track of the Wolf for a .45 ball puller, extra jag to fit the ram rod, patch puller, and rifle specific powder measure and a dozen flints...every time I order anyting from Track I also am sure to order an extra dozen flints. I need to start thinking about a shooting bag for it, but I wont be starting on the SMR until fall projects finish up.

Flints aren't included in the rifle parts list published on the site's SMR product page. One YouTuber mentioned he bought extra flints to be included with his order. I can't find flints listed anywhere on the site. Does the kit come with at least one flint, or should I buy some somewhere?

Not sure if anyone answered your question but you can buy from track of the wolf's online store. That's where I buy mine, they make good, handmade English flints.

Back