• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler has announced a Hawken Kit in the works.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 261712

At 71 and counting I cant get the stem in the watch to run the other direction. I own a couple of Hawkens and I cut my teeth on a TC Hawken many years ago. The ones I own are Bergmann Hawkens one full stock and one half stock. Im happy to see Jim is going to make one. But I dont think I will be ordering one as when I go to the gun safe now the Woodsrunner and the lighter guns seem to jump out at me. Guess I need to start pumping some iron.
Get a Sharps to make that Hawken seem like a lightweight.

Well, I was surprised to read it, but it’s what a lot of folks have been asking for. Jim posted on the ALR forum that he’s looking to buy or borrow an original Hawken for measurements and study in preparation for the new kit. And, he says it will be a half stock percussion. No time line was mentioned.
Not my first choice... Oh well. I'm sure it will be a good one.

Jim mentioned in at least one of his videos that he did have plans to make a lefty kit in the future. That was a while back, at least a year ago. 10% is small but I think there's enough of us out there that would purchase them that it would be worth it. I can't be the only one holding out on buying a Kibler because I don't want to spend that much on a rifle with the cheek piece on the wrong side! The lock doesn't matter that much to me but the cheek piece does.
Agree. I'm a lefty but can use anything, because as a kid, we played "guns" a lot and I got used to using right-handed guns. Just wear glasses for safety!

Not ho hum for a mountain man.

You shouldn't put down what others like.
Well, I used to be into real Hawken rifles. Back when I was a teenager and all the club guys had their Thompson Center-fire Hawken rifles, I wanted the real deal. Obvious difference. Tastes change. Back then, I was this punk kid with a flintlock… the only one in town then.

I finally got a 1979 Lyman Great Plains. Is close as I need. No, I don’t care that it has a coil spring. It also doesn’t have the ugly roll engraving on the lock. It’s heavy though and only a .50 cal.

Anyway, plenty of mountain men carried other guns than a Hawken. Plenty. They were crazy priced then. Anyway, they aren’t as sleek and pretty as a Pennsylvania rifle or a southern gun. We all have our preferences. I’d rather a Kibler Long Land Brown Bess.

Also, as has been mentioned, The Hawken Shop makes a great repro, but it’s a kit. Not a snap together kit. Some of the resident problem children already have problems with one of Herrn Kibler’s guns, so that would cause them to cry here and need to take mydol. And numerous posts how it’s not their fault and such.

Well, I used to be into real Hawken rifles. Back when I was a teenager and all the club guys had their Thompson Center-fire Hawken rifles, I wanted the real deal. Obvious difference. Tastes change. Back then, I was this punk kid with a flintlock… the only one in town then.

I finally got a 1979 Lyman Great Plains. Is close as I need. No, I don’t care that it has a coil spring. It also doesn’t have the ugly roll engraving on the lock. It’s heavy though and only a .50 cal.

Anyway, plenty of mountain men carried other guns than a Hawken. Plenty. They were crazy priced then. Anyway, they aren’t as sleek and pretty as a Pennsylvania rifle or a southern gun. We all have our preferences. I’d rather a Kibler Long Land Brown Bess.

Also, as has been mentioned, The Hawken Shop makes a great repro, but it’s a kit. Not a snap together kit. Some of the resident problem children already have problems with one of Herrn Kibler’s guns, so that would cause them to cry here and need to take mydol. And numerous posts how it’s not their fault and such.

I never accepted the TC Hawken versions. I had a Jonathan Browning, Pedersoli Rocky Mountain, and was going to have a Hawken Shop gun built. Had a few GPR's but always complained they didn't look right.. Shot them for 40 years. It's true not all of the fur trade mountain men had Hawkens but enough of them had them to satisfy me. Most had longrifles and I did too. Given a choice and i'll always pick the Hawken. I live in the Colorado Rockies and it's a natural gun for me to want.

I never accepted the TC Hawken versions. I had a Jonathan Browning, Pedersoli Rocky Mountain, and was going to have a Hawken Shop gun built. Had a few GPR's but always complained they didn't look right.. Shot them for 40 years. It's true not all of the fur trade mountain men had Hawkens but enough of them had them to satisfy me. Most had longrifles and I did too. Given a choice and i'll always pick the Hawken. I live in the Colorado Rockies and it's a natural gun for me to want.
It’s a free country. Like what you want. The pedersoli was nice. Still, I don’t think there were that many Hawken rifles inn the mountains. Guys with money could buy them. How many still exist??

Last edited:
It’s a free country. Like what you want. The pedersoli was nice. Still, I think there were that many Hawken rifles inn the mountains. Guys with money could buy them. How many still exist??
Does it really matter how many? Bridger had one and that works for me. I can re-enact being Jim Bridger.

They cost $25. They couldn't scape that much up? I would have had I been born then. I wouldn't have been a trapper. I would have been a hunter for the brigade. My gun would have been a tool to make a living with.

OK, I'll bite. What is this 15# rifle you are shooting off hand and much can you press?
CPA Stevens schuetzen rifle in 25 20ss. I'm an old man, the only thing I press is my eyelids when it's nap time.
Load it, pick it up and don't waste any time finding the bull, touch it off and set it back down. You sure as heck don't carry it anywhere!

Noting wrong with the TC Hawken: my 2 cents.

Latest posts

Back