• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just a little better among reproduction Colt 1862s?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dixie gun works has them as well as midway. They are over 400.00 generally and then you will most likely have to do some work on it. Arbor length correction
a cap rake and action shield go a long way to making them relabe, as well as slixshot nipples. Nice shooting gun when everything is corrected. Nothing worse then a cap jam just as you start shooting!
I have read they need some tweaking. I am hoping one shows up in the classifieds.

I've always felt that Colt 1862 "police" revolver with 4.5-inch barrel is the most graceful among all revolvers. But I've never owned one. I want to buy one within the next month or so, and I need some assistance, Probable all of the larger Italian manufacturers make pretty good 1862s. Are there one or two whose quality control is better than others? I understand that some resellers stock and sell without inspecting and/or detail finishing while some do the extra steps to ensure their buyer will be satisfied with his purchase. While I would anticipate the detail finishing raises selling price a little, I would gladly pay for that little bit extra.

And a last over-the-top question. Does anyone make a stainless steel version? My Pietta 1863 Remington competition model with progressive rifling is stainless and it has the best fit-and-finish among all revolvers I've owned. These include Freedom Arms 83 and 97, Colt Python blued and bright stainless, S&W Triple Lock, and S&W Model 29 (no dash).

Best fit-and-finish among all. . . . So I thought I'd ask.

Stainless steel cap and ball just isn't right

I love my 2nd gen Colts and a couple Ubertis. That's an 1849 Uberti on the left and an Uberti 1862 on the right.
1699351741957.png
1699351708686.png
1699351668093.png

Last edited:
"What’s the barrel length on the Police pistol?"

I've got two Uberti 1862 Police revolvers. One has 5.5" barrel, the other 6.5".
I'm in the beginning steps of making the 6.5" a convertible between c&b and .380 acp.

It's not as easy as converting an 1860 Army to .45 acp (I've got one of them too, and really like it). Takes about a minute to switch back and forth between c&b and breech loader.

Please can you explain why? I am not criticising your observation, but genuinely interested as a potential buyer of the Pietta colt 'Gold Rush' Police model myself. My own Piettas are Remington 1858 Army made in 2020, and a Pietta Colt Navy London from 2015. For accuracy the Remington beats the Colt every time.
From what I have been told, a lot of the older, experienced hands were killed off or permanently disabled by the China Virus.
Even when China finally did a general lockdown on travel in and out of the country, they still allowed international flights to run between Wuhan Province, of all places ( and the probable source of the outbreak ) and Italy because they did not want to hinder the free movement of workers and bosses of all the old Italian leather garment and shoe companies they have bought up in the last 6 to 10 years. They generally fire the Italian workers and replace them with Chinese nationals, who work for peanuts, but keep all the old trademarks on the produced goods, and the customers never know the difference.
Takes years to train new employees fo detail intensive work.
I don’t even know if the Italian BP gun companies are even producing long guns any more.
Anyone have any info on that?

"What’s the barrel length on the Police pistol?"

I've got two Uberti 1862 Police revolvers. One has 5.5" barrel, the other 6.5".
I'm in the beginning steps of making the 6.5" a convertible between c&b and .380 acp.

It's not as easy as converting an 1860 Army to .45 acp (I've got one of them too, and really like it). Takes about a minute to switch back and forth between c&b and breech loader.
3" I believe on the first one the others are 5 1/2".

I've always felt that Colt 1862 "police" revolver with 4.5-inch barrel is the most graceful among all revolvers. But I've never owned one. I want to buy one within the next month or so, and I need some assistance, Probable all of the larger Italian manufacturers make pretty good 1862s. Are there one or two whose quality control is better than others? I understand that some resellers stock and sell without inspecting and/or detail finishing while some do the extra steps to ensure their buyer will be satisfied with his purchase. While I would anticipate the detail finishing raises selling price a little, I would gladly pay for that little bit extra.

And a last over-the-top question. Does anyone make a stainless steel version? My Pietta 1863 Remington competition model with progressive rifling is stainless and it has the best fit-and-finish among all revolvers I've owned. These include Freedom Arms 83 and 97, Colt Python blued and bright stainless, S&W Triple Lock, and S&W Model 29 (no dash).

Best fit-and-finish among all. . . . So I thought I'd ask.
What event where is a "stainless" NMA allowed in a traditional match? Just curious...c

What event where is a "stainless" NMA allowed in a traditional match? Just curious...c

The N-SSA allows stainless revolvers in their matches. The rational is that they represented nickel plated guns that might have been bought by an officer which weren't available as reproductions. I've been a member for 40 years and the rule was on the books long before I joined and even with that I don't recall seeing many stainless revolvers on the line.

My original Colt 1862 Police with 6.5" barrel.
This old boy still performs well at the range, photo shows size comparison with it's big brother the 1860.
Relic shooter

Attachments

• Pictures from Iphone 1144.jpg
    Pictures from Iphone 1144.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 0
1 inch barrel. Antiqued, tuned, swivel attached. I Purchased from Lodgewood MFG online about 6 months ago. Uberti 1862 pocket police. Lodgewood did all the alterations before putting it up in their guns for sale pages for under $400.

These all take the same trigger/bolt springs: The Colt and the Uberti 1862, 1849, 1848 pockets. Also their the 1861 Pocket Navy .36 (not the bigger frame 1861 Navy .36).
1862 ANGEL LODGEWOOD.JPG

Last edited:
The way collectors categorize models of Colt percussion, there are 12 models.

5 holster pistols, also called horse pistols, or dragoons.
Walker
Whitneyville
1st Dragoon
2nd Dragoon
3rd Dragoon

3 belt pistols (medium frame)
1860 Army
1851 Navy
1861 Navy

4 pocket pistols
1848 Baby Dragoon
1849 Pocket Pistol
1861 Pocket Navy
1862 Pocket Police

1 inch barrel. Antiqued, tuned, swivel attached. I Purchased from Lodgewood MFG online about 6 months ago. Uberti 1862 pocket police. Lodgewood did all the alterations before putting it up in their guns for sale pages for under $400.

These all take the same trigger/bolt springs: The Colt and the Uberti 1862, 1849, 1848 pockets. Also their the 1861 Pocket Navy .36 (not the bigger frame 1861 Navy .36).
View attachment 297412
Always good to check in with lodgewood, you never know what you’re gonna find…

Back