• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just a little better among reproduction Colt 1862s?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naphtali

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've always felt that Colt 1862 "police" revolver with 4.5-inch barrel is the most graceful among all revolvers. But I've never owned one. I want to buy one within the next month or so, and I need some assistance, Probable all of the larger Italian manufacturers make pretty good 1862s. Are there one or two whose quality control is better than others? I understand that some resellers stock and sell without inspecting and/or detail finishing while some do the extra steps to ensure their buyer will be satisfied with his purchase. While I would anticipate the detail finishing raises selling price a little, I would gladly pay for that little bit extra.

And a last over-the-top question. Does anyone make a stainless steel version? My Pietta 1863 Remington competition model with progressive rifling is stainless and it has the best fit-and-finish among all revolvers I've owned. These include Freedom Arms 83 and 97, Colt Python blued and bright stainless, S&W Triple Lock, and S&W Model 29 (no dash).

Best fit-and-finish among all. . . . So I thought I'd ask.

I have a new Uberti pocket police with 51/2” barrel. You will probably need to work on it to make it work reliably. Uberti is the only maker that I’m aware of presently. I installed a cap post and an action cover on mine, plus replaced the nipples with slixshots. Without doing a a couple of the mods listed you will likely have cap jams. Also the short arbor issue that seems to plague Uberti should be addressed. Finally got mine out to shoot for the first time yesterday and fired off 3 cylinders full with no issue. Best of luck!

If you want an 1862 Colt Police revolver you have only one choice and that is Uberti. 5 shot, .36 caliber rebated cylinder.

Pietta makes an 1862 "Police" however it is no more than an 1861 Navy with a half fluted cylinder (6 shot, .36 cal.) with a 5 1/2" barrel and a lanyard ring on the butt. Strictly a fantasy gun. This gun is larger than an 1862 Colt and really is the same size as an 1851 Navy. Uberti does not make an 1862 "Police" like this however they do make correct 1861 Navys.

If you get an Uberti you want one from the early 2000's or before. Don't get a new Uberti.
If you get a Pietta you want one made after 2012 but before 2020. Don't get an old Pietta.

Either will be a nice enough pistol.
Please can you explain why? I am not criticising your observation, but genuinely interested as a potential buyer of the Pietta colt 'Gold Rush' Police model myself. My own Piettas are Remington 1858 Army made in 2020, and a Pietta Colt Navy London from 2015. For accuracy the Remington beats the Colt every time.

Pietta colt 'Gold Rush' Police model: an interesting piece. An 1860 Army with a 5.5" barrel, half fluted cylinder and a birds head grip. I don't have a Colt C&B pistol with a birds head grip but I do have an unmentionable Colt with one and I like it.

Please can you explain why? I am not criticising your observation, but genuinely interested as a potential buyer of the Pietta colt 'Gold Rush' Police model myself. My own Piettas are Remington 1858 Army made in 2020, and a Pietta Colt Navy London from 2015. For accuracy the Remington beats the Colt every time.
Just an observation from handling numerous guns from these two makers and listening to the observations of my peers over a lot of years.
Old Uberti seem to be the best option over all. But something happened over at Uberti and things started going down hill.
Right about the time Uberti started to slip up and let QC go down hill, Pietta seemed to have finally gotten their act together on some of the issues they were known to have. Newer Pietta are solid pistols. But if I had a choice between a NIB older Uberti against a NIB recent build Pietta, I would chose the Uberti.

I want a 1862 navy to go with my uberti 1851 navy...but I would like another 1851. Mine has an action cover no post rake yet so far I have not had any problems with any jams.

At last count, I had 51 guns from Uberti and Pietta, 19 in just the last two years. I don't buy into any of the comments here about preferring newer Pietta's but older Uberti's. Both manufacturers have steadily improved their guns over the years and both are at the top of their game.

There is only one manufacturer making 1862 Pocket models and that is Uberti. Ignore any of the online rhetoric about one importer being better than another, or that some are getting special treatment or going through their guns after they get them. It's all hogwash. It's myth borne out of what was happening with Cimarron 40yrs ago. There is no difference and hasn't been in a long time.

These two are from last year. They are among the nicest Uberti guns I own and came from Midway.

014b.jpg

100% with what GYL says. I had a side business years ago and bought from Taylors (Sue & Tammy are great people) for resale. I would go by (3 miles away) and ask to see a few guns and they would bring some out and I would take them out and look at each before buying. They were in the plastic wrap and covered with the shipping grease. No one ever unwrapped and inspected each piece before they were sold. Put that myth to rest! If you buy an Italian revolver new it will be covered with grease and in a plastic wrap and I can assure you that no one has ever even looked at the gun since it left the factory in Italy.

I have bought revolvers from Cabella's and Midway and have found them to be no better or worse than those bought anywhere. They are all mass produced guns made in Italy and they all are functional but need work to come up to my personal standards.

The rumors that some importers got special treatment or inspected each gun before selling seem to be traced back to Cimarron many many years ago and I have no knowledge of whether they are true or not.

You only have one choice for a 1862 Pocket Police and that is Uberti. Unfortunatly Uberti new or old were somewhat slipshod in quality of their pocket pistols versus the belt models. If you want one that works reliably plan on investing a bit more to send it to one of the "Tuners". You will be glad you did.

At last count, I had 51 guns from Uberti and Pietta, 19 in just the last two years. I don't buy into any of the comments here about preferring newer Pietta's but older Uberti's. Both manufacturers have steadily improved their guns over the years and both are at the top of their game.

There is only one manufacturer making 1862 Pocket models and that is Uberti. Ignore any of the online rhetoric about one importer being better than another, or that some are getting special treatment or going through their guns after they get them. It's all hogwash. It's myth borne out of what was happening with Cimarron 40yrs ago. There is no difference and hasn't been in a long time.

These two are from last year. They are among the nicest Uberti guns I own and came from Midway.

014b.jpg
What’s the barrel length on the Police pistol?

I've always felt that Colt 1862 "police" revolver with 4.5-inch barrel is the most graceful among all revolvers. But I've never owned one. I want to buy one within the next month or so, and I need some assistance, Probable all of the larger Italian manufacturers make pretty good 1862s. Are there one or two whose quality control is better than others? I understand that some resellers stock and sell without inspecting and/or detail finishing while some do the extra steps to ensure their buyer will be satisfied with his purchase. While I would anticipate the detail finishing raises selling price a little, I would gladly pay for that little bit extra.

And a last over-the-top question. Does anyone make a stainless steel version? My Pietta 1863 Remington competition model with progressive rifling is stainless and it has the best fit-and-finish among all revolvers I've owned. These include Freedom Arms 83 and 97, Colt Python blued and bright stainless, S&W Triple Lock, and S&W Model 29 (no dash).

Best fit-and-finish among all. . . . So I thought I'd ask.
There are 3 Colts (2nd & 3rd gen.) and an ASM 1862 on Gunbroker right now. The correct "pocket" models are 5 cylinder revolvers on a small frame - perhaps too small for larger hands to comfortably hold. My daughter likes mine better than I do.

I may need to track one of these down!!
Dixie gun works has them as well as midway. They are over 400.00 generally and then you will most likely have to do some work on it. Arbor length correction
a cap rake and action shield go a long way to making them relabe, as well as slixshot nipples. Nice shooting gun when everything is corrected. Nothing worse then a cap jam just as you start shooting!

Latest posts

Back