• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Junk barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! People Suck!! That thing is Garbage!! Get your money back!

The AEbay seller should refund your money, But ....If the Ebay seller won't refund your money, I might be interested in buying the barrel from you, depending on price ...
Ohio Rusty

UPDATE: I contacted the seller late last night and explained the problem and sent the pictures. It has been almost a month since the barrel arrived here. There was a reply this morning with an apology and a full refund issued. I think the bluing covered the crack so he wasn't aware. Anyway he took care of it and said no need to send it back.

If it's like the CVA breach plugs I've seen, that little button on the back of the plug, they can be a PITA the break loose without twisting the button off. Remember, the drum comes.out first before you try the plug.

And I wouldnt want any part of shooting that barrel as is. Even cut to a pistol length, there may be other unseen spots that are stressed.

Last edited:
UPDATE: I contacted the seller late last night and explained the problem and sent the pictures. It has been almost a month since the barrel arrived here. There was a reply this morning with an apology and a full refund issued. I think the bluing covered the crack so he wasn't aware. Anyway he took care of it and said no need to send it back.
And with that a small bit of faith in my fellow man has been restored. I’m glad they made it right.

Well the seller made it good so is well there and it's possible the crack wasn't visible to him either since the purchaser didn't see it till after the finish was removed. I'm with russellschafer, put it in a vise with a piece of pipe for leverage and see what happens. Please let us know whatever and however you find more about it.

I am just guessing here as to the crack cause. The eBay listing showed vise marks on 2 of the barrel flats so I was aware of that. Figured I could file them a bit then blue the barrel. The other pictures were not real clear as to general condition. He dropped the asking price by $30 so I bought it. When it came the hook breech plug looked like someone had tried to remove it. So I think it was put in a vise several inches forward of the crack and and they tried to remove breech plug without removing powder drum. I think that caused the crack. I may either hacksaw it or try to twist it apart. I am recovering from surgery and am restricted on lifting or pushing/pulling certain weight amount for a few more weeks.

the only way i can imagine it looking like that is a flaw in the original bar stock which leaves me with a lot of questions
Um, ..., I don't know. Imagine suspending the barrel on each end and then whacking it with a sledge hammer. Or using it as a pry bar, maybe with some hydraulic help. Or something like that. If you already knew it was a junk barrel, you might be inclined to use it as a kind of "helper tool" around the farm. I mean ... I did that with a 3/4" length of rebar and my 3-pt hitch once to get a fence post out before I remembered it was probably in concrete. I did learn how to bend a 3/4" rebar to a 90 degree angle in case I might ever need to do that. :)

Latest posts

Back