• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I labored after squirrels over Labor Day weekend

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought this new Pedersoli SxS smoothbore about a month ago and we have not gotten along very well so far. It goes off once for about every five trigger pulls and it makes no difference which barrel I use. I get a flash in the pan but no BOOM.

The main issue is what I consider a design flaw. The touchhole is located behind the breech of the barrel. There is a small chamber behind the barrel that the touchhole goes to. Imagine removing the lock and touchhole liner. Now run a ramrod all the way down the barrel. You cannot see the ramrod from the hole in the side of the barrel because it cannot reach that area. That chamber gets powder from the main charge through a hole in the bottom of the barrel. Two big problems I see with this design are 1) that chamber is a great place for cleaning oil to build up and 2) powder from the main charge might not get in there in a sufficient quantity if the barrel is fouled.

My solution was to drill the touchholes out to 1/16" and to fire off a little powder in each barrel before loading so the powder can burn any residual oil in that chamber. That seemed to do the trick because I pulled the trigger two times Sunday morning, the gun went off two times, and I brought home two squirrels. We'll see what happens when I reload in the field.

Z5OcnwB.jpg

KmY7FB3.jpg

The whole thing still upsets me because I shouldn't have these kinds of issues with a brand new expensive gun!

Darren

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the issues with the gun. That stinks big time.

Also, congrats on the squirrels you got with it so far. Hope you can get things straightened out soon.

I was considering that piece. I didnt know it had patent breeches. Is it a heavy double to carry?

Dan all I can say is stop using oil to store your gun.
I don't.
Hot water and home made patch lube once dry. Heck them bores should be chrome plated if I know Pedersoli!
You did right drilling the vents, they do come to restrictive from Pedersoli.

If your gonna use oil, you will increase crud build up in the patent type breech!
Hot water will keep it clean enough. I have not cleaned a patent breech for decades since using hot water!

If you still insist on using oil store your shotgun upside down!

My first flint was a navy arms 45 cal. It had a patent breech also. If memory serves it was about a quarter inch in diameter amd a good three quarter inch deep. Ignition was a nightmare. Probably why I got it so cheap. I fixed the problem with a round nosed carbide file bit. It was soldered onto a piece of 48 inch long drill rod. In short we made a reamer. I made several spacers out of delrin the kept the reamer running true in the barrel. The barrel was placed straight up in a vice, the breech in a bucket and using a hand drill with alot of cutting oil, the breech was removed or at least widened enough to make it usable.

Latest posts

Back