• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Junk barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bought this barrel on eBay that said good condition. Soaked in solution from Brownell's that removes rust so the blue came off. Noticed crack just behind rear sight. Definitely will catch a finger nail. Ramrod goes all the way to the bottom of the barrel. Any ideas on this? Useable or not? 20220601_194703.jpg20220601_194712.jpg
20220601_194809.jpg
20220601_194829.jpg
20220601_194703.jpg
20220601_194712.jpg
20220601_194809.jpg
20220601_194829.jpg
20220601_194850.jpg

It would be interesting to see what a borescope shows. Maybe good for a couple pistol barrels.
I wondered about the pistol barrels , but would the twist be ok ? I have seen a Spanish made barrel which had 2 parts welded half way down the barrel from the factory . It would not shoot accurately and was only found when the breach plug was removed during investigation , the join could not be easily seen from the outside .

E-bay strikes again. If there is any way to share the name and address of the felon who deliberately endangered his fellow humans with this stunning apology of a 'good' barrel, please do so. The perp should be made to hold and fire this beauty with a good stout load that is still within the bounds of the Spanish Proof House recommendations to show one and all that his idea of a 'good' barrel is completely trustworthy. Sheila I wish you the best...

the only way i can imagine it looking like that is a flaw in the original bar stock which leaves me with a lot of questions

I wondered about the pistol barrels , but would the twist be ok ? I have seen a Spanish made barrel which had 2 parts welded half way down the barrel from the factory .
I am not aware of CVA having two piece welded barrels, but that doesn’t mean they weren’t made. This one looks like ugly damage, though I won’t speculate how it was damaged. Doubt it can be returned to the eBay seller after rust removal soak, but I’d sure push it with seller. Probably not worth it, but one could remove the questionable section and see what is left and usable for pistol barrels, regardless of the twist. Would not invest much time and effort without a good look with a borescope.

And remember, they are making new undamaged barrels every day. If no satisfaction with the seller, might be time for the OP to cut their losses and start over a fresh new barrel.

Bought this barrel on eBay that said good condition. Soaked in solution from Brownell's that removes rust so the blue came off. Noticed crack just behind rear sight. Definitely will catch a finger nail. Ramrod goes all the way to the bottom of the barrel. Any ideas on this? Useable or not?View attachment 142517View attachment 142518View attachment 142519View attachment 142520View attachment 142517View attachment 142518View attachment 142519View attachment 142520View attachment 142521
What caliber is it or what do you want? Have you replaced it yet? If you still need one PM me and I might be able to help.

Bought this barrel on eBay that said good condition. Soaked in solution from Brownell's that removes rust so the blue came off. Noticed crack just behind rear sight. Definitely will catch a finger nail. Ramrod goes all the way to the bottom of the barrel. Any ideas on this? Useable or not?View attachment 142517View attachment 142518View attachment 142519View attachment 142520View attachment 142517View attachment 142518View attachment 142519View attachment 142520View attachment 142521
If you paid$$ for that, you got screwed. The seller should be hung for selling it.

E-bay strikes again.
E-bay had nothing to do with it.
Seller describes, buyer agrees. Transaction is made.
If one or both make false statements,, E-bay will intervene to make corrections as contracted for membership with E-bay..
It's basic.
E-bay can/will not make corrections with payment methods finished outside of the membership contract rules.
Again, basic.
In this case it's obvious the seller made false representation. The buyer should contest the sale, begin the process of grievance, follow the rules of communication and easily win.

Back