• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jim Shockey's Gold

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone have any good or bad experiences with it? I bought a can several months ago because that was all I could find locally, but as it was, I found a can of BP and didn't need it and still haven't tried it. It is FFFG granular, but it sure looks more like FFG in size.

I know it won't work in my flintlocks, but I am thinking about using it in either in a cap and ball pistol and/or a .32 mule ear percussion squirrel gun, to save my black powder.

How would it stack up to Hodgdons triple 7 as a substitute? Which is cleaner, which is more consistent? I also have a can of it that I have never used. The granular size of it is much smaller, even though they are both supposedly FFFG.

I tried it, but in my wet climate it deteriorated quickly once the can was opened. Ignition got difficult, then a chrono check showed it was loosing its poop fast. Dumped it on the lawn, and shoulda put it in the flowerbeds. The grass sure liked it.

A bud of mine is a sincere fan of Triple 7. It holds up well in this climate and is easy to use. He's jazzed about the ease of cleanup, but from what I've seen it's no easier (or harder) to clean guns than with black powder.

That's exactly the kind of comment I was looking for. I guess I'd better either use it up fast or throw it away. It's already been sitting around all summer, including a couple months of humid (for AZ) weather. Laying around all winter would probably not be helpful at all.

I can get triple seven fairly easily, but finding the real stuff is tougher. We don't have any flintlock only seasons in AZ, so almost all the real serious trophy hunters have switched to inlines and all that goes with them, and black powder does not enter the picture. Gun stores just don't want to fool around with powder that won't sell, unless the owner himself is a traditionalist and keeps a stash for himself that he will sell some of. I know one guy like that about an hour's drive from here, but he is never open on weekends when I seem to have time to get over there.

colorado clyde said:
It's all the rage with the inline boys..Coonies is over in new mexico.....go black and don't look back

That's all I've ever used, and I started shooting muzzleloaders about 50 years ago. I won a can of pyrodex one time and gave it away. I've done a lot of not shooting over the years because I didn't know where I could replace the powder. I'm tired of doing that. There's times I'd rather be shooting than driving somewhere to buy more powder, and I don't feel comfortable having too much black powder around at any given time. I think maybe it's time I broke down and tried some of that new-fangled substitute stuff, in the guns that should handle it well. Not my flintlocks, though.

I've shot a fair amount of Pyrodex over the years punching holes in targets, plinking etc, but not when hunting. I bought a pound many years ago when it first came out in the square can and still have it around here somewhere. I decided to keep it when the plant blew up way back when.

I've not bought a pound from a retail vender since that first pound, but have acquired several pounds of both P and RS as deals when buying other stuff or at garage sales etc. It was real cheap and goes bang in my revolvers and TC Hawken. Being frugal I'll shoot it up for fun and use the real stuff too when I'm serious.

I haven't noticed any real deterioration with it over time.

Black is E-A-S-Y to mail order. Main powder house, Powder INC, and many other will sell you powder. You pay a has-mat fee that is akin to 1/2 a tank of gas. Make a group buy with your club or buddies.
http://www.mainepowderhouse.com/
Free shipping on 25# right now.

I can not give advice on any ill conceived local regulations, you are on your own there.

I can not buy most gun stuf locally. I mail order about everything. It is cheaper and faster.

I'm sorry you can't buy it as kmart of joe's bait shop. Just adapt a little, pick up the phone! Most of the modern world shops via the internet

I do only order firearms realed stuff by speaking to somebody at the company. I feel there is less of an electronic paper trail that way. I also think it is more secure. That is just probably my paronoia speaking though.

Rant over, Be well. : )

Last edited by a moderator:
I just checked them and about everything is marked "out of stock:. Where are they located, anyway?

Try reading the message on the link.

New ownership hope to be up and running by NOV 2016

Must be waiting for the new license from BATFE

"As some of you may have heard, The Maine Powder House had shut down for a few months ”“ but we are coming back!

Under new ownership, we hope to have operations back under way by mid-November 2016.

We thank you for your patience during this time of transition.

In the meantime, feel free to take a look at our website ”“ very little will change! We hope to bring you great products at continued low prices. Click here to sign up and get updates and special promotions.

Thank you and we look forward to serving your needs again in the future!"

Just checked the website - free shipping, but all brands and grades of powder are out of stock. :doh:

I just read the rest of the posts - saw they are not yet back in business. Sorry for shooting off my mouth without reading everything! :surrender:

I remain your humble servant,

Just Dave

The best thing I can say about Shockey's powder is that it burns clean. Buuuuutttt.....you also get lower velocities than Black. And, as previously mentioned, it is moisture sensitive. If you open a fresh can today, plan on using it up SOON. I won't hunt with it again, too many "blooper" shots. I've gone back to Black!

Back