• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

JB Weld temporary sight attachment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frod733

40 Cal
Reaction score
Didnt know where to post this, so posting here. I am unfamiliar with JB Weld, but I have heard of folks temporarily attaching a sight using this material. While the job I have is not for sight attachment, my question relates to how strong is the bond, and is it easily detached with heat? Thanks.

If you apply it to clean roughed up metal, you will most likely have to file or grind it off. Heat will work, but you still have to deal with the residue. I've used it to seal a weep hole on my 1949 Willy's engine block, and used it to repair a cracked crank case on a lawn mower engine. Paul Harvey always advertised that you can fix anything with JB Weld or Duct Tape.

Thanks. This has to do with inletting a hook breech and barrel. In order to inlet properly, I was thinking of JB Welding the hook breech to the barrel and then inletting the unit as a hole. This will help in aligning lock and barrel, and inletting barrel breech area.

I would think removal would be a big problem. Also, I think the shock from repeated shooting might be a problem causing a sight to fall off but the weld to remain.

Thanks for the responses. I am not attaching a sight. I am wanting to "temporarily attach a hook breech to a barrel to create an assembly that I can use to inlet barrel assembly. The concern I have is whether once I am done, I can remove the attachment with some heat. The JB Weld says it is good to somewhere within 250 degrees or so.

Relatedly, is there some other kind of adhesive that will hold as well and not be problematic?

No matter what type glue you use to glue the tang to the breech, your still going to have a problem with the barrel not seating tight against the tang once you inlet and remove the glue.

I made a carborator float bowl for a cj5 Jeep 4 banger years back and it worked for several years til I sold the Jeep. Don't know how it's doing now.

Thanks for the responses. BTW, found this link while looking at different types of adhesives. Kind of interesting

Orbital sanders, JB Weld and Dremel...three "tools" that make gunsmiths cringe. With that said, JB weld has some specific uses as well as Dremel tools.

This, however, is not one of them.

This is not a permanent attachment. I just want to temporarily attache, and hopefully easily remove once done.

I have a rear peep sight epoxied down for testing, hoping it lasts long enough for me to decide if it works so I can drill and tap holes. That said, it really needs to be farther back so I'll probably end up getting a tang sight.

I use medium viscosity CA (super glue) for that job. Activator for the CA will make it a harden instantly. It comes off with heat. It will make noxious fumes when heated.

Latest posts

Back