• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tree Hawk Update/P Davis in VA.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK I apologize if this is a redundant post. I posted about this rifle in October of 2020. I had not shot it since then. It is a Thompson/Center Tree Hawk, 1994 production. It started life as a .50. The barrel decayed/I neglected and became a patch shredder. So I got Bobby Hoyt to rebore out to .54. He did a great job with a round ball twist (1-60) and round bottom rifling.

I shot the rifle today using 80 grains of 3F Schuetzen, ticking patches and a .530 ball. I stretched out to 65 yards instead of 32 as per last time. My group is larger than I'd have liked. There was some discussion about the short barrel being unable to achieve enough velocity to stabilize the ball. But I think my large group problem has other causes.

I went and looked at my patches well after the session. Of the ones that I could find, several were "cut"and/or burned through. I was hasty in my patch lubing-and I think I failed to saturate the patches sufficiently. I am using Bore Butter because I have some. Of the twelve shots fired, eight are in a 4" group. Four of the others widen to the edge of a 6" military target. Look at the patches and you will see what looks like a correlation.

Next session I plan to make sure my patches are well saturated. I may also shoot some 535's, but I have to admit that the .530's sure loaded easily. I suspect the barrel is still rough, I every time I clean I do 25 passes with JB bore paste. Hopefully this will combine with shooting to polish the bore a bit more as the rifle gets used and shot-in.

Pics will tell the rest. I am still optimistic and, with the peep sight (Skinner Lo Pro) I have on the rifle I'd be hunting at 35 yds and closer. I kill nearly all my deer at those distances anyway and the early VA season provides lots of opportunity for those kinds of close deer encounters.

Pete Davis in western VA.

DSC06669.JPG

DSC06679.JPG

DSC06680.JPG

DSC06676.JPG

Last edited:
I worked a similar project with Mr. Hoyt, rebore of a trashed barrel .50 T/C White Mountain Carbine to .54 with a roundball twist. I neglected to ask the exact twist I just figured if I told a him, with his experience, he'd get it right and he did.

Here a photos of my first time out targets, 25 and 50 yards from sand bagged foreend, no butt support. I've shot it a couple of times since and I think it will do better. I figure it to make a nice compact roundball thumper. I also have a couple of PA Hunter Carbines, .50 of course. I've killed deer at about 40 yards with one and it is one handy rig.

I check past posts at this site and found one, perhaps and earlier one by you, for an identical Tree Hawk rebore. The target shown there seems quite a bit better than the one posted here.

Oh, the load I used to shoot my targets was 90 grains measured volume FFG Schuetzen, .535 Speer ball, and a spit lubed washed ticking patch, about .017.

Attachments

• 107690-6f3dd08988803cedf68f0abb4eccdd95.jpg
    107690-6f3dd08988803cedf68f0abb4eccdd95.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20231212_161331_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231212_161331_Chrome.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 0
Nice and thanks for the reply. I think we have the same project. I think my barrel is 21 5/8ths to the tang. Mine will tighten up with shooting and better patching. The group that you saw from earlier, was half the distance of today. PD.

OK I apologize if this is a redundant post. I posted about this rifle in October of 2020. I had not shot it since then. It is a Thompson/Center Tree Hawk, 1994 production. It started life as a .50. The barrel decayed/I neglected and became a patch shredder. So I got Bobby Hoyt to rebore out to .54. He did a great job with a round ball twist (1-60) and round bottom rifling.

I shot the rifle today using 80 grains of 3F Schuetzen, ticking patches and a .530 ball. I stretched out to 65 yards instead of 32 as per last time. My group is larger than I'd have liked. There was some discussion about the short barrel being unable to achieve enough velocity to stabilize the ball. But I think my large group problem has other causes.

I went and looked at my patches well after the session. Of the ones that I could find, several were "cut"and/or burned through. I was hasty in my patch lubing-and I think I failed to saturate the patches sufficiently. I am using Bore Butter because I have some. Of the twelve shots fired, eight are in a 4" group. Four of the others widen to the edge of a 6" military target. Look at the patches and you will see what looks like a correlation.

Next session I plan to make sure my patches are well saturated. I may also shoot some 535's, but I have to admit that the .530's sure loaded easily. I suspect the barrel is still rough, I every time I clean I do 25 passes with JB bore paste. Hopefully this will combine with shooting to polish the bore a bit more as the rifle gets used and shot-in.

Pics will tell the rest. I am still optimistic and, with the peep sight (Skinner Lo Pro) I have on the rifle I'd be hunting at 35 yds and closer. I kill nearly all my deer at those distances anyway and the early VA season provides lots of opportunity for those kinds of close deer encounters.

Pete Davis in western VA.

View attachment 276060

View attachment 276061

View attachment 276062

View attachment 276063
Either I missed it or you didn’t mention it, but what is your patch material thickness? In the two 58 Hoyt’s with radius bottom rifling I am currently shooting quite a bit, find that 10 oz canvas (from BurlapFabric) that measures .022” thick, 0165” compressed, at least the way I measure it, works very well. Thinner patch material like pillow ticking gets shredded and accuracy goes away.

I’m with @SDSmlf. Get some thicker patching and try again. I got mine at Walmart and it measures either .020 or .022, can’t remember which of the top of my head, but I do remember that it compresses to .018.

@Dixieshedhunter the picture of the Muzzle suggests that your patches are getting roughed up upn loading. All of my Hoyt rebores have been clean and smooth. Not likely patches are getting damaged other than by the sharp edges of the Muzzle.

Don't sacrifice a tight patch ball combo in favor of easy loading. Round up those Muzzle edges and try a tighter patch. I'd bet you it will cut your group in half but then you might take a dive for the money. 🤣

And, your target is far from terrible.

Well that does it…..

What’s Mr. Hoyts info, going to do this exact thing with a renegade barrel.

The thicker patching opened up the grouping.

Next up, crown the crown. Maybe an over the powder wool wad.

I wonder if switching to 2F would have any effect.

This brings the round count to 47.

PD

DSC06693.JPG

70 yards.

I think the two whingerdangers are from torn patches. 16 of the 18 look good. All would be deer killers at my hunting ranges.

Using a six o'clock hold on the black.

70 grains 3F Schuetzen, .530 ball, .022 canvas patch with bore butter.

I'll quit with this post now!!!

PD

DSC06735.JPG

Latest posts

Back