• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is This Possible?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ever see a guy shoot a square ball from a .45 caliber percussion rifle?

Back in the 1970's, a buddy and I ran monthly BP matches on the Pistol Range at Quantico.

After one guy fired, there was a new round hole AND a square hole in his target.

Turns out the ramrod had a brass tip where you just threaded the "Head" onto the rod. The head must have come loose and stayed in the barrel when the guy loaded. When the head hit the target sideways, it made a square hole.

Gus

You know, thinking back, you are correct. We did leave rammers in our muskets, though it was VERBOTEN to pull them out during a reenactment or tactical event. Sorry about that.

What unit were you with?

Gus
I started with the 26th VA (disjointed) Cavalry......... :)
Very soon that morphed into an VA infantry unit but don't remember which one, ending up occasionally playing a brevet Major when I wasn't playing a Captain or my actual rank of lieutenant. Eventually moved on to the 27th VA (Stonewall Brigade) then ultimately ended up with the 4th US Regulars (Sykes Division).

Last edited:
I started with the 26th VA (disjointed) Cavalry......... :)
Very soon that morphed into an VA infantry unit but don't remember which one, ending up occasionally playing a brevet Major. Eventually moved on to the 27th VA (Stonewall Brigade) then ultimately ended up with the 4th US Regulars (Sykes Division).

I began as a Confederate Marine attached to the 5th Alabama Bn and Archer's Brigade in 1980. A couple of years later they decided they didn't want women and children in camp, so we formed Company I of the 47th VA. Maybe a year later we joined Longstreet's Corps and I wound up as the "Unofficial/Official" Tactical Officer and Corps XO. Though I was allowed to wear a full Colonel's rank when I commanded the second of the two "Confederate Grand Divisions" at the 125th year reenactment at Cedar Mountain, I chose to only wear a Major's star. After that, I went back to my normal rank of Captain.

Gus

Ya I’ve done it,I loaded my gun got distracted by someone walking up behind me put my gun down on the rest when the person was done walking around I when back to shooting and yep never took my ramrod out of my gun ,my buddy said that sure looked like your ramrod flying down range,and the best part of the story it didn’t brake but dented the brass end,

Back in the 50’s I saw a movie where a good guy, in a cabin, was frantically loading his muzzleloader as fast as he could because a bad guy was breaking in the door. I don’t remember if it was a smooth bore or rifle. The bad guy broke in just as the good guy was ramming the ball down the barrel. Without removing the ramrod from the barrel, the good guy pointed the weapon, ramrod and all, at the bad guy and puller the trigger. The ramrod impaled the bad guy and he died.

Is this scenario possible? Just wondering.
Clark Gable did the same ting in "Across the Wide Missouri". It means that he primed before he reloaded.

I recall a movie years ago that starred Clark Gable, where he disposed of an assailant by firing a ramrod through his midsection. Can't recall the title of the movie.

But I'm in my 70's and seems like every other day the wife reminds me to zip my fly.

Barry Cryer joke: " It started with forgetting to do my zip, then I started to forget to put it away, nowadays I don't always remember to get it out."

It's a slippery slope - from another oldie.

grenadier1758 operates as a military unit unlike me which is more a rag tag militia unit. He wants to be able to out shoot the Frenchie's.
The closet we have been to being like a military unit (reenactment) was at Fort deChartre IL., that was fun but way to much equipment to care for. We only used what was needed and that was pretty slim at that. Always used the rule that each item had to due at least two things.

I remember that in the 90s, a reenactor was accidentally shot with a ramrod during a film shoot. If I remember correctly they were filming a battle scene and the director wanted to make it look more realistic by having everyone go through the motions of ramming their load. One guy forgot to return it to the thimbles and accidentally shot another reenactor in the chest. He was seriously injured but I believe he survived. Reinforced the reason why we never rammed our cartridges

Actually the "film" was a made for TV movie called The Broken Chain.
It was not a reenactor, it was a movie extra, that was hurt. So was the shooter. ;)

You see when reenactors are hired by film production companies, they become "extras". This was and is important because folks hear about these accidents and suddenly want to ad all sorts of weird "safety" regulations at living history sites. Right after the event some odd things were suggested at Fort Frederick State Park, and I had to calm down "the powers that be" by pointing out that it was a movie extra involved in shooting a scene, NOT a reenactor at a reenactment doing a battle demonstration.

What happened was the fellow was portraying a Native American. He had a trade gun, with a wooden ramrod, and a brass ramrod tip, but they tend to be wider than the ramrod, and are often called "buttons". The fellow and several other guys portraying Indians had just been shooting a scene where as you mentioned they were running the ramrods down the barrel between shots.

Time was running short, and just as this particular fellow was ramming down another shot, "CUT" was called and then the assistant director started yelling for the "Indians" to run over to another spot so they could get a good camera shot in the fading light. The fellow replaced his ramrod and ran over to the next location, maybe 100 feet away, and there he paused with some other of the extras.

Another Indian pointed out to him that he'd lost that brass button off his musket rammer, as the group was waiting behind the trees while the assistant director got the opposing side set up for the scene. Then "ACTION" was called and the Indians started firing, with white guys firing back. They weren't aiming at each other, but the camera angles made it look like they were, and a fellow extra, about 45° to the side of the fellow shooting, got hit in the chest by some sort of projectile. Away he went to the hospital, and the x-rays showed it was a ramrod tip.

In the haste of moving to the next scene location, the fellow had replaced his ramrod but had not been looking at the tip when it was extracted from the barrel. The tip had come off the ramrod when it was in the trade gun, and he had assumed it had come off as he moved through the woods. He had pointed the trade gun in a safe manner, but..., odd shaped objects don't fly very straight, and apparently a button type ramrod tip positively curves when launched. o_O

LD

As some one who "earned" his camp name I can assure you that shooting your ramrod does kick like a mule. It also throws up a lot of snow from the bush it hit!

You know, thinking back, you are correct. We did leave rammers in our muskets, though it was VERBOTEN to pull them out during a reenactment or tactical event. Sorry about that.

What unit were you with?

Gus
Yes, never pull them out during an event. I was with the 2nd Pa/43rd Foot, a Pa./NJ based dual Regiment doing both Brit and American; was founded & run by more scholarly history buff types, and during my time (1975-85) because of the high interest in the Bi-Cen, we did many films, TV ads, etc. also many quality events appearing where domestic and foreign dignitaries were in attendance. You can see their current website, 243regiment on line.

The closet we have been to being like a military unit (reenactment) was at Fort de Chartre IL., that was fun but way to much equipment to care for. We only used what was needed and that was pretty slim at that. Always used the rule that each item had to due at least two things.

grenadier1758 and I have both participated at Fort de Chartres in the woods walk. It's not for the faint of heart, you have to carry what every the scenario is it could be for days or hours. My team won first place a few years ago and the rifle I used still hangs in my shop as a memento of that accomplishment.

.[/QUOTE]

You did better than we did at the Woods Walk. We've been in the top 6 a couple of times. Considering that our goal is to place higher than the French Teams, we think we do pretty good.

We also have participated in the military presentations at the October F&I weekend. This is one where the reenacting scenario takes precedence. That weekend all the lead ball remains in the locked ammo box. We roll our cartridge boxes full of blanks. We cull any cartridges loaded with ball from our cartridge boxes even though our last event, Fort Massac, only allowed blank cartridges for the mock battle so one were found.

I’ve seen several ram rods fired out of guns. It’ll do the business, but you’d best hope your hand-to-hand skills are up to snuff! 🤣
The sound a ramrod makes as it whips through the air is REALLY interesting...
Jay

Back in the 50’s I saw a movie where a good guy, in a cabin, was frantically loading his muzzleloader as fast as he could because a bad guy was breaking in the door. I don’t remember if it was a smooth bore or rifle. The bad guy broke in just as the good guy was ramming the ball down the barrel. Without removing the ramrod from the barrel, the good guy pointed the weapon, ramrod and all, at the bad guy and puller the trigger. The ramrod impaled the bad guy and he died.

Is this scenario possible? Just wondering.
Yep,it can be done

Actually the "film" was a made for TV movie called The Broken Chain.
It was not a reenactor, it was a movie extra, that was hurt. So was the shooter
. ;)

Just a term they hang on the extra fill in folks (lumped together by the talent agents......)

You see when reenactors are hired by film production companies, they become "extras".....

A term they hung on the extras.... having been in over a dozen movies we have always been listed as such.

In the haste of moving to the next scene location......

In half the movies we have been involved you see the stunt folks get banged around not usually the (background stand in's) extra's.......

We used to see ramrods going down range most often during stake shoots. Haven't done that myself, but came right close once while trying to hurry for a timed event.

Back