• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who does finish/upgrade work on complete gun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mec0621

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Howdy All,
Last year I bought a complete gun built by Mr. Bobby Hoyt. He said he had some parts laying around and decided to build a quick "poor boy" with of his world famous barrels. This gun flat out shoots and I took a fat die with it during Maryland's primitive weapon season last February.

My question is now I would like to have someone do some upgrades to it like adding a butt plate, smooth and polishing the brass trigger guard and nose cap, and blueing or browning the barrel and possibly doing some light carving work. Anyone know or recommend someone that could do this for me? Thanks for any help you can provide

Howdy All,
Last year I bought a complete gun built by Mr. Bobby Hoyt. He said he had some parts laying around and decided to build a quick "poor boy" with of his world famous barrels. This gun flat out shoots and I took a fat die with it during Maryland's primitive weapon season last February.

My question is now I would like to have someone do some upgrades to it like adding a butt plate, smooth and polishing the brass trigger guard and nose cap, and blueing or browning the barrel and possibly doing some light carving work. Anyone know or recommend someone that could do this for me? Thanks for any help you can provide
I would leave it as is. I have a friend that shoots in rifle competitions He has the ugliest rifle there but it shoots like a dream. He loves to see the surprise on some of the faces when they see his piece of trash out perform their $2500.00 rifles. I am sure Mr, Holt knew what he was doing when he made the rifle and knew it needed nothing more?

A builder will probably charge as much to do the desired work as you paid for the rifle. Use it as it is and save the money for another rifle. A buttplate probably won't match the stock profile and will lead to reshaping the whole back end of the stock or filing the BP to match the wood.

All of this seems pretty straight forward.
It all depends on the rifle.
It sounds like the OP wants his rifle refined a little.
There’s other options as far as the buttplate including heel or toe plates.
It depends on the rifle and what the OP wants.

True. Plus everyone has definite likes and dislikes. And yes, You can easily do everything you listed with the exception of the buttplat; and even that is possible with lots of work and patience.

Howdy All,

I'll do it.

Leave it as is and buy yourself a Kibler rifle kit. It would be money well spent then you would have TWO great rifles!:thumb:;)

do you want a shooter or a looker ? right now you have said it's a real great shooter, are you willing to risk messing that up with a possible change in length of pull or balance . sounds like a true poor boy/Shimmel that's a dream to shoot . But it's yours do what you want , targets are more important than good looks

Polishing the brass, blueing or browning the barrel those are easy thing you can do yourself. Adding a butt plate depending on the style could be done. Carving a finished rifle would be a whole different ball game and to my way of thinking would involve having to re-finish the rifle.

Re-working a gun stock is a lot of work. Inletting a buttplate on a finished gun is no treat. Unless you can go to a shop like Dixon’s and find one that fits the profile best, you could waste a lot of time and money. I’d advise anyone taking on the work to have the owner do all that legwork.

I’d rather restock a gun than re-work one extensively.

you can a
tomsbuild stock.JPG
you can do a faux butt plate (Allen Martin inspired) and brown the barrel without changing much
tomsbuild.JPG
toms build 1.JPG
tomsbuild2.JPG

Latest posts

Back