• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Is it uncool to use Pyrodex?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pyrodex-not cool. Never was, never will be. Real black powder is so easy to find there is no reason for the existence of pyrodex. Look up places that sell black powder on line. They'll ship it right to your door.

I prefer black simply because it has the best qualities in terms of fast and reliable ignition.

I had a lot of ignition troubles when I tried T7 in my percussion Renegade out of necessity. I'll never use it again. Wretched stuff for me.

I did get a couple pounds of Pyrodex RS Select last spring when I couldn't find black anywhere, even online at that time. That was the first time I've ever tried Pyro, and it worked much better than T7 for me.

But now that I have a modest little stash of black again (My Powder Valley order delivered just today😬) it will be my first choice every time. But I'll hang on to that bit of Pyro I have for "just in case". No shame in using what's available to be able to shoot... What's uncool is not shooting rather than what propellant you use. 👍🏻

It's cool enough, I reckon.

But you'll suddenly find an overwhelming urge to ride side saddle or sit on your saddle horn.

Just trying to be helpful. :)
Not sure what yer trying to say (I hope)?. Anyway I now have 5-6 cans or the stuff and have found no issues in clean up, corrosion, accuracy, degraded power over time etc etc. LOWWW humidity too though ya know.

Pyrodex-not cool. Never was, never will be. Real black powder is so easy to find there is no reason for the existence of pyrodex. Look up places that sell black powder on line. They'll ship it right to your door.
Spoken like a truly uneducated shooter. Black powder cannot be shipped everywhere, unless your little world is all you live in. As well black powder is over double the price of Pyrodex in my area. Lastly, some people like Pyrodex, thus no reason to buy real black.
Sorry bud.
Walk

Spoken like a truly uneducated shooter. Black powder cannot be shipped everywhere, unless your little world is all you live in. As well black powder is over double the price of Pyrodex in my area. Lastly, some people like Pyrodex, thus no reason to buy real black.
Sorry bud.
Walk
Plus, black powder has been unobtainium, at least in my locale. I haven't seen it in stores or gun shops in my area in quite some time. My only hope has been online sources, and it seems it's been very seasonal over the last couple years, available for a relatively short time then nothing for several months. Just as smokeless components were tough to find too for awhile. Thankfully things seem to be loosening up a bit.

I’ve shot pyrodex off and on since it was introduced. I still have a pound of it from back when it came in a square container. I prefer black but don’t look down one using it. I’ve gotten a few pounds off and on over the years as part of deals and use it from time to time. I just make sure to clean well when using it.

9aa2b1c6eb9e2644eac44c3a7c73a86c.jpg

Pyrodex fouling is more corrosive than black powder fouling. Pyrodex degrades chemically with time. Black powder hardly ever does. Many claim Pyrodex is not as consistent as black powder from shot to shot. Purodex is nearly impossible to use in a flintlock. Pyrodex fouling does seem to hide in the microscopic crevices in some barrel allloys and creeps back out to rust a few days after a cleaning. I found that the old fashioned WW2 army bore cleaner, smelly stuff with benzene and other hazardous substances does a better job at neutralizing Pyrodex fouling. Personally, I would avoid Pyrodex except as a possible very very last resort. If you look at it like a Ford Chevy rivalry, it is like driving a Yugo.

I’ve used Pyodex, i keep 2-3 lbs, I don’t use it often. The key to getting it to work in a flintlock is mix in a very small amount of 4f, for every 500 grams I use a 1/4 table spoon of 4f and evenly distribute, I’m not a fan of mixing powders but it works just fine. (Same with with Triple 7).

As far as it being more corrosive than BP, there’s more additives to pyrodex which can make a gun lock or bore much more dirty and it attracts moisture and ionized particles. That’s without saying if you’re not good a cleaning your guns, and use pyrodex you’ll eventually get pitting and corrosion. If you clean your guns good and regularly, you’re gun will be fine, however. If you’re only using BP and don’t clean your guns well or often, you’ll find its almost equally as corrosive.

A few months back I picked up a Charleville 1766 by Navy arms on auction for my regiment, the pan had to be cleaned and polished and then I spot welded some pits, I suspect because Pyrodex was used and the pan was not cleaned much ever or just wiped down, soap and water must be used and then lubricant.

Last edited:
I could care less about whether it is uncool or not. For years now BP has been unobtanium in my area. Pyrodex and Triple Seven is about all one can get anymore. Percussion caps are just as hard or more so to find too. I had to use a primer conversion kit on a couple of my rifles to shoot them.

I also like inlines as they use 209 shotgun primers. But still finding primers is hard at present too. Reloading supplies have become very expensive anymore. There may not be much if any any savings in reloading versus buying factory anymore.

I think that pyrodex or triple seven work best with rifle primers or shotgun primers. The primers have a hotter flame that ignites the propellant better. I also think that the inline guns using 209 shotgun primers are the best for pyrodex and triple seven propellants.

As I see it any type of muzzle loader is great for shooting and having fun with. So I don’t turn my nose up at anyone shooting or using one no matter what type they are using.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back