• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Iron Rifle stand

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackfoot

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was at a rondy here in Minnesota and saw a few guys using a Iron rifle rest at the shoot and need to find one.

It was able to hold 2 rifles and had a couple of hooks on it in the middle, also had a foot step that you would use to step it into the ground.
It was made out of maybe 1/2" square Iron stock and was twisted in a couple of areas.

Anyway I want one of these and can't seem to find one so can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks

check this site's resource page. I think most blacksmith's sell them... at least here in the east. Those stands are very handy. I have minewrapped in buckskin where the rifle lays.

Yep, just draw it out for your local blacksmith and he'll be happy to hammer one out for you. Like Capt. Jas. suggested, wrap it in buckskin. Keeps the dings off your stock.

You should be able to find a local blacksmith to make up one for you. We have a guy in our club who makes a couple every year for prizes.

I wouldn't recommend what I did. I had a motorhome fire a few years back that took out a bunch of rifles. The fire was hot enough to make some of the brass furnature blob up. I was able to salvage the barrels of the rifles. I wasn't about to use them in another rifle but decided to build one of those stands with some of them. I used the 15/16" 42" barrel from the Tennesse and pieces from a CVA Kentucky 7/8" to make one. It came out great, very unique and works well.

The other barrels went into making a campfire grate.

Here's one I made...
It has an eye that has melted glass in it, for looks of course. The rope work is reminisent of my navy days.

gunholder.jpg

I went to Frenchie's Traditional Ironwork site. He has some things I would like to buy, but he only takes pay pal and I will not deal with those folfs.
Old Charlie

We have a guy here that makes them his is for 1 rifle(i imagine it could do 2) it also has a small shelf to hold balls, a steel cup(attached) to hold patches, a notch for the ramrod and short start. Kind of neat. But like has been said pretty much any smith could make one and you wouldnt have to worry about shipping.

Loyd said:
Here's one I made...
It has an eye that has melted glass in it, for looks of course. The rope work is reminisent of my navy days.

gunholder.jpg

I see you used round rod, did you make a foot on it with a point under it that would go in the ground to stop any rotation when a gun is leaned against it.
Yours looks nice, i`m thinking about making one.

Blackfoot said:
I was at a rondy here in Minnesota and saw a few guys using a Iron rifle rest at the shoot and need to find one.

It was able to hold 2 rifles and had a couple of hooks on it in the middle, also had a foot step that you would use to step it into the ground.
It was made out of maybe 1/2" square Iron stock and was twisted in a couple of areas.

Anyway I want one of these and can't seem to find one so can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Blackfoot, if ya ever get up my way your welcome to come over and we can make ya one. :)

Yes that is a fine stand, And it is like the few that I have seen at the rondy's good job!

I did see one that had a metal tray attached to one side about 6" from the top. And another had an extra hook to hang his possible bag.

Back