• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Unintentionally ageing a Woodsrunner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Coffins

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Todays club shoot proves to be a mess. Understanding it would be nasty hot I made up a bunch of ball blocks and filled them with patched ball. Then to speed the loading measured out powder into a couple of dozen tubes. Twenty years ago I won a very nice loading stand that has a wooden box that attaches to a solid three legged stand. It has spots to lean three rifles and hang a range rod. That isn’t the way I shoot and it is never gone to the range. But in the hopes of getting done early all this gear went today. Arrived at the match to discover that the ball blocks had been left behind. Setting up the stand with what stuff I did have is a new experience till I pulled out the Woodsrunner to gently lean it in its place. The man that runs the match had set the time to start at 10:00 so it was getting hot all ready. Now I stumbled around and bumped the leg of the stand which of coarse sent the rifle to the gravel covered ground! Other than the barrel and wood receiving dents and scratches as well as my disposition the sights are unharmed. The match was five targets and after three my funometer was bottomed out. Finding some shade and a bottle of water it was time to reflect on the wisdom of this new style of shooting and the overall stupidity of being out in the heat. During a match I don’t use glass to view my targets because if I don’t know what the rifle will do then I wasn’t ready for a match. At the end two of the targets I did shoot took first places and I have aged Woodsrunner.

Just one man's opinion. You got off lucky with just minor "Character" marks.

A tumble like that could have shivered that stock from stem to stern.

Someone looking after you placed a bed of gravel in the way.

I like the looks of a well worn finish. With stocks that have dark spots all over from small nicks and bumps.

Todays club shoot proves to be a mess. Understanding it would be nasty hot I made up a bunch of ball blocks and filled them with patched ball. Then to speed the loading measured out powder into a couple of dozen tubes. Twenty years ago I won a very nice loading stand that has a wooden box that attaches to a solid three legged stand. It has spots to lean three rifles and hang a range rod. That isn’t the way I shoot and it is never gone to the range. But in the hopes of getting done early all this gear went today. Arrived at the match to discover that the ball blocks had been left behind. Setting up the stand with what stuff I did have is a new experience till I pulled out the Woodsrunner to gently lean it in its place. The man that runs the match had set the time to start at 10:00 so it was getting hot all ready. Now I stumbled around and bumped the leg of the stand which of coarse sent the rifle to the gravel covered ground! Other than the barrel and wood receiving dents and scratches as well as my disposition the sights are unharmed. The match was five targets and after three my funometer was bottomed out. Finding some shade and a bottle of water it was time to reflect on the wisdom of this new style of shooting and the overall stupidity of being out in the heat. During a match I don’t use glass to view my targets because if I don’t know what the rifle will do then I wasn’t ready for a match. At the end two of the targets I did shoot took first places and I have aged Woodsrunner.
Man, that hurt just reading it. I’m sorry!! I’ve knocked my Kibler smr over twice and have scars. I don’t even like seeing guys take pictures of beautiful rifles laying on rocks.

Latest posts

Back