• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Small portable gas burner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZUG

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I purchased this small camp burner to cast BP ammo when I don't want to use the Lee electric pot, or I don't have the electracy available (camping let say). It runs off of a small 16 oz propane camp bottle. The burner itself is one of the ubiquitous ones you see hikers or trekkers use. It puts out a LOT of heat from a full bottle of propane. I added a 4.5" square piece of aluminum to the three legs to aid in stabilization. I have a 10-pound cast iron pot and a larger cast iron pot that will hold more than double that. Thats where the aluminum base comes into play - stability.

The burner cost me about $25 from Amazon. The rest of the stuff I already had except for the large cast iron pot which I got off Amazon for under $30.

CAUTION - care MUST be use when using this set-up as the small surface area of the burner's support arms are not much of a perfect platform for the weight of the cast iron pots loaded with molten lead. If you are clumsy, you can get hurt very badly.

Attachments

• P1030731.JPG
    P1030731.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 4
  • P1030732.JPG
    P1030732.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 0
  • P1030733.JPG
    P1030733.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 0
  • P1030734.JPG
    P1030734.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 0
  • P1030735.JPG
    P1030735.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 0
Good point about the weight.
Ya might wanna beef that rig up a bit, just for that. (Steel support?)
If it's anything like the Colman stove I use, it'll be dedicated to "For Casting Only" soon!

I started out using a set-up such as this. Safety and stability caused me to seek out a small steel wheel rim at the auto salvage yard. I found one just the right height to mold the pot over the burner while the rim rested on my bench. The center hole was large enough to allow the entire burner to work on the bottom of the pot. Best $5 I ever spent!

Zug I'm just an ole guy that worries about others. I sure would like to see you get something else or make that one practically UN tipable. Big smile
Be safe

I used a similar set-up for years. My Dad was a plumber and I used his cast iron lead pot and ladle, but I put it on a Coleman camp stove which was much more stable than the kind you use.

However, a few years ago I bought an electric lead pot and have been using that ever since then.

Zug I'm just an ole guy that worries about others. I sure would like to see you get something else or make that one practically UN tipable. Big smile
Be safe
I'm working on some safety restraints at the moment will up-date when completed. I used a large plumbers pot with a 20 pound propane tank for many years casting .45, .38, and other modern bullets. I had two cast iron pots that would hold 40 pounds of lead each. These pots were not supported by anything else except the burner itself. This was the way these units were designed and used for eons. Care must be taken when using these types of melters. If one is the type of person that is clumsy or has a problem with coordination, then this set-up is not for you - stick to electric.

NOTE: this type of melting system is OK IF one does not put a large pot of lead on this burner and make it top heavy but like I said I am working on something simple that will anchor the cast iron pot to the burner assembly and make it more rigid. Thanks for all your concerns and advise:ThankYou:

Latest posts

Back