• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Internet transactions, payment and shipping

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not that I want to become embroiled in whatever is going here, but is it possible that PayPal is just a business providing a service ?
In the words of the great Chairman Mao, sometimes a stick is just stick.

They’re a business with a sign on the front door saying who can enter and who has to use the back door.

I’m inclined to agree with this. Don’t get me wrong, I am deeply opposed to their shooting sports policy. But I take Pp for what is, a convenient and (mostly) secure way of doing internet commerce.
I would happily use another more firearms friendly replacement for Pp, there just isn’t one.
I just reluctantly passed up an opportunity to buy a nice rifle from what appeared to be a good bloke. Were we face to face I would’ve bought it from him immediately. But there just wasn’t a way to secure the payment arrangement safe for both of us.

More like, anyone can enter, you just have to behave and abide by their rules when you do enter. No different than this forum.

More like, anyone can enter, you just have to behave and abide by their rules when you do enter. No different than this forum.

I don’t disagree but if I thought this forum’s rules were such that I wasn’t welcome because how I think I wouldn’t like it either. I use PayPal so I’m a realist in that it’s a service my customers expect and I have to use. And it’s convenient as heck.

I don’t disagree but if I thought this forum’s rules were such that I wasn’t welcome because how I think I wouldn’t like it either. I use PayPal so I’m a realist in that it’s a service my customers expect and I have to use. And it’s convenient as heck.
I see this the same way Bob does. Gotta be pragmatic sometimes vs dogmatic.
Back to the original topic, I went to the post office yesterday to buy and send a PMO to a forum member. It’s a little nerve-wracking just sending the equivalent of cash out there on what amounts to pure faith and trust. I paid extra to ensure the parcel would arrive quickly and with special attention and handling. I paid the seller extra to do the same on his end. Our mail system is a little wonky right now between 40,000 postal workers having to Covid quarantine and having a functionary installed as Postmaster General. This too shall pass.

At least thanks to technology we have the convenience of finding one another across hundreds or thousands of miles the way we do here on this forum. I’m guessing that within most of our lifetimes we had to just know or find someone locally and we had classified ads in papers and magazines. That was pretty much it. So, I wouldn’t go back. Things are pretty good, all considered.

Here’s an idea; what if payment by money order included same-day shipment by the seller to the buyer? Another words, the day I mail payment of US post office money order to the seller, he ships me the item. We both then take a leap of faith, not just the buyer. The 'risk' is spread equally between buyer and seller.

Last edited:
That of coarse would be up to the seller. I don't consider it equal either. If a dishonest person knew that was the way it was, it would invite him or her to take advantage.

Sounds like we have more to agree about that to argue.

My idea persumes that here are no thieves or crimminals here. If there are, that's a problem. deeper than payment method.

That of coarse would be up to the seller. I don't consider it equal either. If a dishonest person knew that was the way it was, it would invite him or her to take advantage.

Here’s an idea; what if payment by money order included same-day shipment by the seller to the buyer? Another words, the day I mail payment of US post office money order to the seller, he ships me the item. We both then take a leap of faith, not just the buyer. The 'risk' is spread equally between buyer and seller.

Actually that is done. Especially when both parties have an extensive verifiable track record. When items are traded it is almost universally the case.

Personally. if a seller won't take a money order, or a check (waiting for it to clear) and demands Pay Pal. I just figure I don't need whatever he is selling bad enough.

There are some cases, like buying a paid membership here where it is what it is. I figure in that case up against my principals it was a wash. Making use of a antigun, "progressive" business, owned and operated by those on the opposite side, in order to support a great firearms forum, with tons of resources is a worthwhile trade off.

Another thing to consider is that people decry the invasiveness and surveillence of the governemnt. The invasiveness and tracking of companies like Pay Pal, Google, etc. far and away exceeds anything the governemnt is doing and does far more harm

Personally. if a seller won't take a money order, or a check (waiting for it to clear) and demands Pay Pal. I just figure I don't need whatever he is selling bad enough.

There are some cases, like buying a paid membership here where it is what it is. I figure in that case up against my principals it was a wash. Making use of a antigun, "progressive" business, owned and operated by those on the opposite side, in order to support a great firearms forum, with tons of resources is a worthwhile trade off.

Sounds contradictory if not hypocritical
Talking the talk , but not walking the walk. .

It's nice to say we have no thieves here but you never know. There are always trolls out there just looking for places to scam people. They come off(at first) like nice fellows. They even work some deals and follow threw with them to appear to be a stand up guy. But then all of a sudden they seem to disappear with peoples money and merchandise only to be never heard from again. They even reappear later on using new names and they know enough about computers that they don't have same I.P. address. It happened on another forum and there are a great bunch of guys there too. I'm just saying, we need to keep our guard up.

I am the seller of the gun Jon is talking about. I would, and told him, I would except a personal check or postal money order from him and if he sent a personal check would wait for it to clear or the postal money order. I see no problem with this arrangement. With the postal money order I would ship the same day to him. He could also send the money order via UPS or Fed EX and not the USPS.

Duely noted, completely appreciated and offered with utmost respect and sincerity.

I am the seller of the gun Jon is talking about. I would, and told him, I would except a personal check or postal money order from him and if he sent a personal check would wait for it to clear or the postal money order. I see no problem with this arrangement. With the postal money order I would ship the same day to him. He could also send the money order via UPS or Fed EX and not the USPS.

Paying with Paypal garanties money refund if things go sour

I've used PayPal for a few yeas and haven't had any problems. I looked into complaints about them and was surprised to find out how many there are. Guess I have just been lucky so far.

I have had 2 packages in the last month with weird delivery problems from USPS. The tracking number detail showed they would be delivered in 4 days. The tracking showed they arrived in Orlando Florida. Orlando is 1 hour from my home. Then no updates for several days and then all of a sudden the package was out for delivery. USPS has notifications on their web site stating there are delays due to Covid-19.
Hopefully your package will show up soon.
Having similar issue now. Package has been "waiting acceptence" since 07/11/20. Intiated an inquiry with USPS and they can't even tell me if they have physically seen the package. They didn't tell me anything more than what I already knew.

I’ve had the same issue with USPS tracking stuff lately. Sometimes it gets to a location and it’s days before it moves again. I did see recently that we have a new Postmaster General and he’s made some changes to put the postal system on better financial footing. I have a feeling that those changes might be slowing things down?

Having similar issue now. Package has been "waiting acceptence" since 07/11/20. Intiated an inquiry with USPS and they can't even tell me if they have physically seen the package. They didn't tell me anything more than what I already knew.
I always thought that “waiting acceptance” meant that the shipper had created the label but not actually taken it to the post office yet.

Back