• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SOLD PRICE REDUCED AGAIN! - Beautiful Pedersoli .72 Cal Brown Bess. Restored. Excellent Condition, Fine Shooter. FREE SHIPPING.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Since my first posting about this musket had to be revised a couple of times after the fact regarding the original maker of this firearm, I thought it made more sense to just make a fresh listing with all of the corrected information gleaned from the first.

I recently restored this vintage reproduction. This is an early Pedersoli. The stock has been complete refinished and restored. The brass polished up and the barrel and lock carefully brought back to life. The springs are in EXCELLENT condition. The bore is in excellent condition, with little to no pitting or issues that I can see. The ball/patch rams home very smooth and easy. I have test fired this Bess a few times and she is a straight shooter and I would have no hesitation at all using this for elk or deer hunting, or grouse, pheasant, turkey or waterfowl. She is the perfect smoothbore for someone who reenacts and wants a solid, working flintlock without all of the glamour and fuss.

She comes as shown. The barrel length is 37", overall length is 53". LOP is 14".
I am asking $1000 obo, which includes shipping anywhere in the US. Not interested in trades, sorry.

If you are interested in purchasing please let me know. I can offer secure payment through my Shopify page or can take a Money Order through mail providing that the buyer sends it via USPS Priority Mail with Tracking.

This firearm is located in Portland, Oregon.

394714818_1019784832473581_4171375720141267808_n.jpg

393877287_344183278119263_6293698407749495969_n.jpg

394280582_344250851354089_1263243229476857069_n.jpg

393800093_1413681089210846_3071589428166848323_n.jpg

394315119_1107198160242666_4996786757698613339_n.jpg

394420233_2879738838830202_2180888649107761469_n.jpg

393838757_6622584054524555_3230902732578831428_n.jpg

395271747_326075543345634_106994316715484617_n.jpg

395196371_660978322807218_4996132590383355885_n.jpg

395296426_6959295590758715_1880919776612619628_n.jpg

Last edited:
GADZOOKS,

'Tis a nicely restocked Pedersoli 2nd Model Bess, and one can see the remnants of the barrel marking adjacent to the low serial number, which reads "BLACK POWDER ONLY" in the font used by Pedersoli, not to mention the Pedersoli lock. At 39" t'would work quite well for an Officer's Fusil, but alas, I am not an officer.

LD

GADZOOKS,

'Tis a nicely restocked Pedersoli 2nd Model Bess, and one can see the remnants of the barrel marking adjacent to the low serial number, which reads "BLACK POWDER ONLY" in the font used by Pedersoli, not to mention the Pedersoli lock. At 39" t'would work quite well for an Officer's Fusil, but alas, I am not an officer.

LD

With the proper use of a musket you can be any rank you wish.

With the proper use of a musket you can be any rank you wish.
AH well yours does not accept a bayonet, so that would not work from a living history perspective for an enlisted man, or perhaps a civilian.

From a hunting/ shooting perspective the target or the deer or the birds will not know the difference.

LD

AH well yours does not accept a bayonet, so that would not work from a living history perspective for an enlisted man, or perhaps a civilian.

From a hunting/ shooting perspective the target or the deer or the birds will not know the difference.

LD
I disagree with the assumption that this smoothbore would not work for a civilian impression. Would it work for any Military impressions? No. But civilians regularly modified firearms to suit their needs, including shortening them for ease of use when hunting. This would be particularly true for those living on the frontier. This would for instance be an excellent choice for someone with a Native or Early Trapper/Woodsman impression.

I disagree with the assumption that this smoothbore would not work for a civilian impression. Would it work for any Military impressions? No. But civilians regularly modified firearms to suit their needs, including shortening them for ease of use when hunting. This would be particularly true for those living on the frontier. This would for instance be an excellent choice for someone with a Native or Early Trapper/Woodsman impression.
Well it's NOT an assumption.

Of course IF your impression was Post the AWI, I'm sure some of the leftover Bess were sold to civilians, because the new government opted for French style muskets but..., my response was mostly to the assumption that a person could be "any rank" they wished with such a Bess.

You see, the Bess was not sold to civilians during the AWI, and thus it would be the property of The King, or the Property of the Colony, if the colony issued them as did Maryland. And shortening those would get you tossed into the gaol.

Natives would opt for the MUCH less expensive to obtain, and MUCH less expensive to shoot trade gun.

LD

Of course IF your impression was Post the AWI, I'm sure some of the leftover Bess were sold to civilians, because the new government opted for French style muskets but..., my response was mostly to the assumption that a person could be "any rank" they wished with such a Bess.

You see, the Bess was not sold to civilians during the AWI, and thus it would be the property of The King, or the Property of the Colony, if the colony issued them as did Maryland. And shortening those would get you tossed into the gaol.

Natives would opt for the MUCH less expensive to obtain, and MUCH less expensive to shoot trade gun.

LD

All of the above is absolutely true. But it’s also true that if a young man decides he had enough of Making the World England…and of the Colonies and their 8 year long war with England…he could certainly depart for the frontier with this gun in hand and not give a damn what anyone said about it.

Further, could not this gun be picked up from the enemy Indian dead on the battlefield by a militia man? And then be used as a personal gun since it has been altered from its military configuration?

I think there are plenty of opportunities for a good persona to be built around this weapon.

Eight years was a long time. And many men fought bravely, bled profusely, and decided they had had enough of the dying.

LD
I will point out that civilians did have access to bess muskets pre awi. Many were issued to provincials during the fiw and the men from several colonies were allowed to keep them. Also several civilian gun smiths built knock off busses or used parts from them to make new guns. I have also seen references to the British selling off old long land besses but I don't know if that's true or not.

I will point out that civilians did have access to bess muskets pre awi. Many were issued to provincials during the fiw and the men from several colonies were allowed to keep them. Also several civilian gun smiths built knock off busses or used parts from them to make new guns. I have also seen references to the British selling off old long land besses but I don't know if that's true or not.
I reiterate
"the original premise was "you could be any rank with the Bess"... and that was what the major objection was about."

LD

I reiterate
"the original premise was "you could be any rank with the Bess"... and that was what the major objection was about."

LD

You mean that you argued this whole thing because you lack the ability to read? Not once did I say "You could be any rank with the Bess"..

I said, "With the proper use of a musket you can be any rank you wish."

Which, obvious to pretty much everyone, was a joking, sarcastic remark meaning that with the proper use of a firearm, you can be any rank you like. I forgot I was talking to a worthless Torey, I should have typed a bit slower. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back