• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Interesting old axe coming up at local auction

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What everyone has described, broad axe-hewing axe. Basically to make round wooden things square or rectangular.
The one you have pictured is considered a Canadian pattern. Loyalist Dave's may be a well sharpened Canadian pattern but I think it's a Pennsylvania pattern. Dave's bearded broad axe is also called a goosewing axe. I had a goosewing from a a Bucks County (PA) blacksmith.
If you can lay your hands on or just do a web search for an old axe manufactures catalog there is usually a 1/2 page dedicated to 6 or 8 different broad axe patterns alone. Try Mann, Collins or Beatty. Broad axes were pretty well hung on the barn wall when saw mills came into being. An exception was some of your narrow gauge logging and mine railroads. They would just flatten the logs on opposite sides and use them as is for railroad ties.

I wouldn't expect to see the Amish using a broad axe nowadays, way too labor intensive. Those folks work hard & smart. Maybe if their chainsaw wouldn't start.

The short answer to your post is that one looks to be in good shape and possibly an original handle. At auction in my area I would expect to pay $60-$90 for that one if unmarked. More if by a desirable factory or blacksmith . Pennsylvania is part of what we old tool collectors consider Old Tool Heaven. If you miss this one and want one, frequent the local auctions, flea markets and another will be along shortly.

I'm in the same boat as you are. Along with my muzzleloader affliction I've collected and used woodworking and blacksmithing tools for almost 50 years. My wife has the auctioneer picked out for after my son is through with my stuff.

Thanks,
O.R.

Last edited:
They are still used in this area a lot. Generally sale at auctions for $80-120.

If you get good with one, you can square a log so well it looks like it was planed.
Where might a person find one at that rice? Around here the flea markets price them for the rich yuppies to hang on their wall.

Well, maybe I should get an estimate on the value of my axe that has passed down through the family.
It came over on the Mayflower it is in really good shape. In its lifetime it has only had 13 new handles
and two new heads on it!
Barry
Your axe has a similar history as the one that was traced back to George Washington when he was chopping down cherry trees……

Latest posts

Back