• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is the smallest size diameter ramrod brass pin that can be found?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attachments

• IMG_20230609_200700.jpg
    IMG_20230609_200700.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
.061 brass pin ...took 4 min. to make . Use grinder , spin it , the file round as well ....then .... .032 pin , same pin taken down smaller ....9 min. total time to make it

Attachments

• IMG_20230610_123931.jpg
    IMG_20230610_123931.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230610_124258.jpg
    IMG_20230610_124258.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
That's the conclusion I came to as well. Picked up a few roll pins of different sizes yesterday.
Roll pins are extremely hard steel( spring) steel and must be exzctly the right length, they are made to be removed if need be.

A better choice can be found., as many have shown.
Don`t overthink it, any soft metal will be excellent.

Has anyone ever had orheard of a pinned tip coming off because a pin failed and if so what were the circumstances?

Ihave subjected apined with a 1/16 finnish nail tip to removing stuck ball by wraping rod with timberhitches and tying off to a good solid post, barrel removed from stock 8 in. to a foot slack followed by a hell if a jerk , bsll removrd , no problem and hickory rod tip and pin are fine.

Blitz

Roll pins are extremely hard steel( spring) steel and must be exzctly the right length, they are made to be removed if need be.

A better choice can be found., as many have shown.
Don`t overthink it, any soft metal will be excellent.

Has anyone ever had orheard of a pinned tip coming off because a pin failed and if so what were the circumstances?

Ihave subjected apined with a 1/16 finnish nail tip to removing stuck ball by wraping rod with timberhitches and tying off to a good solid post, barrel removed from stock 8 in. to a foot slack followed by a hell if a jerk , bsll removrd , no problem and hickory rod tip and pin are fine.

Blitz

The steel roll pin worked just fine. I cut it a little short and it is somewhat recessed on both sides of the tip. Tight fit so I do not think it will move at all. I'll be keeping an eye on it.

I found out real quick like that under the now tested, under actual hunting conditions, the hickory ramrod is far superior to the shoddy, metal, factory ramrod Traditions furnished with this .32 caliber Crockett Squirrel rifle. I cut the hickory ramrod longer so its easier to grab ahold of, its larger in diameter so it's again easier to hold onto, it fits the thimbles better so there is little to no slop, and most of all, its just about silent when using it. I reloaded numerous times after shooting squirrels when there was more squirrels still up in the tree, and in several instances, were actually looking at me.

The steel roll pin worked just fine. I cut it a little short and it is somewhat recessed on both sides of the tip. Tight fit so I do not think it will move at all. I'll be keeping an eye on it.

I found out real quick like that under the now tested, under actual hunting conditions, the hickory ramrod is far superior to the shoddy, metal, factory ramrod Traditions furnished with this .32 caliber Crockett Squirrel rifle. I cut the hickory ramrod longer so its easier to grab ahold of, its larger in diameter so it's again easier to hold onto, it fits the thimbles better so there is little to no slop, and most of all, its just about silent when using it. I reloaded numerous times after shooting squirrels when there was more squirrels still up in the tree, and in several instances, were actually looking at me.
I wish the squirrels in my area were that dumb

I wish the squirrels in my area were that dumb
Well rest assured that any squirrels that have been shot at do not stick around when they see a human. In fact, most do not. However, the trick is to keep moving around to different hunting grounds. The younger ones and/or the ones that have never been threatened before are much easier.

The good thing is not many people hunt squirrels nowadays, which is another reason why I enjoy the early season. I have the mountains and woods all to myself and many of the squirrels are not easily spooked.

The easiest so far was last week at the end of early season. The males were rutting and running stupid. Up, down, jumping tree to tree, on the ground, making this strange "thook-thook" sound I have never heard before. Not fighting, not making the normal fighting sounds, just acting crazy. They were not very concerned about what was going on around them. I was able to get four out of that hunt (all bores) and all within about 40-50 yards or so. The most difficult part was trying to find one that stood still long enough to get a shot and/or to stop where one can get a clear shot. The woods are thick and dark now for sure.

It took me several hours to get those four.

Last edited:
Back