• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Inquiry about current replica percussion revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It has been a while since I have purchased any percussion revolvers. Back in the day, Uberti was tough to beat. Reading a number of posts on this subject, I know that the pandemic wreaked havoc with the Italian manufacturers, and quality may have since slipped.

I used to read that Cimarron products were just a step or two nicer as far as finish and assembly. Is this still true, or are they all pretty much the same and or a guess as to what you will receive if ordering one on-line? I'm planning on casing one as a gift and want to reduce or eliminate any disappointment.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

I have purchased quite a few Italian reproductions and I have also found that Uberti is generally of higher quality (fit, finish, action, etc.) than Pietta or earlier makers. I have had a few issues with Ubertis, but none I couldn't correct. (Be aware of the short arbor problem, discussed in various threads at length.) I've preferred Ubertis also because of the effort that they make to conceal their proof marks, company logo and warning. Their logo and warning are typically on the underside of the barrel and the proof marks are very lightly stamped (engraved?). Pietta makes no effort to do so. I have found that Piettas made in the past five or six years have been pretty good. However, the fit and finish of the last Pietta that I purchased, a used .36 Remington dated 2020, leave MUCH to be desired. I have had early ASMs, ASPs, Palmettos, and one or two other makes that were all superior. I don't think I'll ever buy another Pietta, new or used.

I have three or four Ubertis by Cimarron, and I believe that you are correct - they are just a bit nicer than those imported and supplied by others, perhaps with the exception of Taylor's & Co. Firearms. I have a couple imported by Taylor's that are also exceptional. My only complaint with Cimarron percussion revolvers is that they put their address on the top of the barrel to mimic the way Colt engraved originals, but it looks far less conspicuous than Pietta's advertising.

May I inquire what model you plan to put in a case?

I have purchased quite a few Italian reproductions and I have also found that Uberti is generally of higher quality (fit, finish, action, etc.) than Pietta or earlier makers. I have had a few issues with Ubertis, but none I couldn't correct. (Be aware of the short arbor problem, discussed in various threads at length.) I've preferred Ubertis also because of the effort that they make to conceal their proof marks, company logo and warning. Their logo and warning are typically on the underside of the barrel and the proof marks are very lightly stamped (engraved?). Pietta makes no effort to do so. I have found that Piettas made in the past five or six years have been pretty good. However, the fit and finish of the last Pietta that I purchased, a used .36 Remington dated 2020, leave MUCH to be desired. I have had early ASMs, ASPs, Palmettos, and one or two other makes that were all superior. I don't think I'll ever buy another Pietta, new or used.

I have three or four Ubertis by Cimarron, and I believe that you are correct - they are just a bit nicer than those imported and supplied by others, perhaps with the exception of Taylor's & Co. Firearms. I have a couple imported by Taylor's that are also exceptional. My only complaint with Cimarron percussion revolvers is that they put their address on the top of the barrel to mimic the way Colt engraved originals, but it looks far less conspicuous than Pietta's advertising.

May I inquire what model you plan to put in a case?
Thanks for that summary. I plan on casing a Remington New Model Army. I am looking at two, the Cimarron and the one offered by Taylor's. Both have a color-case frame with blued cylinder and barrel. I know historically that the Remington was blued, but I like the looks of this version.

I have a cimarron and the finish is awsesome, the fit was super tight to get the wedge in. Not sure if arbor related, I have left an inquiry on one of the many threads and am waiting for a response. My newer Pietta os perfect all around and the most accurate of all pistols I have shot in many years including CF.

I have found hand selecting my revolvers at Dixie Gun Works solves these problems. They start by pulling out 3 at a time. Usually the best of 6 works for me. Sometimes best of 12. Finding 2-3 that make my standards for possible match use using bore lights, bore center rod and dial calipers takes a while. Fit, finish and wood quality not so long. They are not all the same but I have found more 2014 and later Pietta match worthy revolvers with Uberti still being better for display. Pre 2000 Uberti I have being better than Pre 2000 Pietta mostly. The current NMLRA National 1000 point open record is held by my friend Jason G. ... The revolver used was a Pietta Remington. 44 hand selected at Dixie. Tuned action and trigger with adjustable match sights. No crowning, no reaming, no coneing and none of those other barrel or cylinder modifications. Just the best of 9 Remingtons of 2014 picked from Dixie's stock. None of the Uberti's measured at the the time made the cut. Maybe if we measured 100 of each Uberti would come out with more winners...c

That sounds great @No second place! Let’s see, I just checked the mileage - 1,909 miles from my door to Dixie Gun Works. Sometimes I envy y’all in that part of the country. In Bjg Sky Country options are a bit more limited. 🫤
OK, I do have a 2019 Pietta Remington .44 I did buy sight unseen new just because of extra cylinder included low price. Just on a whim. Maybe just got lucky. This Remington shoots match worthy, championship winning targets so it is my back up gun to my custom Tri-L Lewis .36 navy Remington. Only tuning needed for the .44 was trigger, sights and action. After sight in and load development my first 2 25yd targets were a 98 and 100. 50yd 88 and 94. It was a good day. I don't bench test anymore but my Lewis custom I sandbag tested years ago kept all 10 shots in a 10 ring group at 50 yards. I don't shoot it better than the factory .44 but do prefer the less recoil of the .36...

I just got one of the Cimarron Man with no Name conversions (The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly version). Seems tight and has a great trigger. I always heard Cimarron does a tune up to the Ubertis they get. I was concerned, because I'd seem some threads of people returning their Cimarrons for one reason or another. But mine seems fine. Can't wait to try it. Now I'm tempted to get the Tuco version!

Based upon the advice I received from the great members of this forum, I acquired a Pietta 1860 Army and a Uberti 1851 Navy. The Uberti has less non-original lettering, if that matters, and does seem to have an edge in fit and finish. Otherwise, I have no complaints about either revolver.

Based upon the advice I received from the great members of this forum, I acquired a Pietta 1860 Army and a Uberti 1851 Navy. The Uberti has less non-original lettering, if that matters, and does seem to have an edge in fit and finish. Otherwise, I have no complaints about either revolver.
That would be my take, as well, having multiple examples of both OEM's.

I would suggest that both benefit from the lockwork tuneup and hammer face polishing documented on multiple YouTube channels, as well as replacement Slixsprings nipples.

Midway had a sale on BP revolvers so I picked this SS Uberti up for a really good price.

Excellent fit and finish, flawless functioning.

I especially like how they put the cautionary stampings on the underside of the barrel!

4EE46F1F-EFEC-43F7-AB6D-C11A664B1513.jpeg

It has been a while since I have purchased any percussion revolvers. Back in the day, Uberti was tough to beat. Reading a number of posts on this subject, I know that the pandemic wreaked havoc with the Italian manufacturers, and quality may have since slipped.

I used to read that Cimarron products were just a step or two nicer as far as finish and assembly. Is this still true, or are they all pretty much the same and or a guess as to what you will receive if ordering one on-line? I'm planning on casing one as a gift and want to reduce or eliminate any disappointment.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Personal opinion is that post-pandemic Piettas are easily as good or better than current Uberti revolvers. Pietta sometimes has a grip-to-frame fit issue: easy fix. I have both, and like both. Some folks think the short arbor issue on Uberties is a big deal. I'm not so sure. Then again: I'm no expert. I think we are fortunate to have both manufacturers in this day and age.

I have several Ubertis and one Pietta manufactured in the early 20-teens and I can't really spot a difference in quality. All had some minor issues, but nothing that couldn't be fixed.

Latest posts

Back