• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion revolver questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 33697

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to this forum and I have several questions concerning percussion revolvers. I own a Ruger Old Army and a Uberti Remington 1858 .44 cal. I have been shooting these revolvers for some time but I have some questions that I could not find answers online. My questions are as follows:

A. I'm considering getting into making paper cartridges for both of my percussion revolvers and I was wondering what effect nitrated paper has on either black powder or Hodgdon 777 when storing paper cartridges long term. Would nitrated paper, such as cigarette rolling paper, deteriorate either powder? Does any one use a wad under the ball when making a paper cartridge? Did civil war paper cartridges use a lubed wad? For that matter, was there any lube at all used on percussion revolvers during the civil war using paper cartridges?

B. I've read several articles on the web about cutting very small piece of surgical tubing of size to slip over the primed nipple to prevent the cap from flying off, prevent possible flash over, as a moisture seal and to prevent the cap from falling inside the action. Has anyone had experience with this trick?

I'm sure as time goes by I'm sure to have more questions and I thank everyone ahead of time for answers to my first thread.

If the nipples on your Uberti pistol are in good condition, that is to say, not peened over from some klutz dry-firing them, then the chances of getting a chain-fire are minimal. The Ruger Old Army, AFAIK, is the only BP revolver ever made that you can dry fire until hell freezes over, because the hammer design is such that it hits the frame, and not the nipple. The percussion cap makes up the difference, and because it gets in the way, goes off.

I've been making paper cartridges for my ROA, and oftbetimes my Walker since the 80's, using nitrated cigarette roll-up paper. I've never used any kind of internal lubrication, like a greased wad, but I HAVE dipped the twisted end in lube that sets. You really ought to have been with me last Sunday's guest day, where I let a few noobs shoot paper cartridge loads made in 2013. Is that old enough for you?

As my age, life is just too short to futz around putting even more stuff on a nipple than a cap - sure, give it a try. I'll follow your example when I read that the late Mr Hickock did the same.

Latest posts

Back