• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help finding production date of this LeMat that came to my possession

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmalikhammer4

32 Cal
Reaction score
It is a "Calvary" model, with the spur on the trigger guard and the drop-down lever. There is no engraving on the cylinder, but says "Navy Arms Ridgefield NJ" on one side of the barrel, and "black powder" along with "LL 44" or "CL 44" on the other. I'm not sure what exactly it says. I tried to get a clear picture but the lighting was tough. I can try to get a better picture if requested. There's what I presume is a serial number and it's "157." I know what you guys are thinking, "where are the brand marks underneath the frame?" Believe it or not, there are no more identifiable markings. I don't know if the original owner had the gun re-finished to remove those markings, but all the identifiable markings are attached in these photos. I'm stumped trying to identify the production date or even the period.

Attachments

• IMG_2382.jpeg
    IMG_2382.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2385.jpeg
    IMG_2385.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2386.jpeg
    IMG_2386.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2387.jpeg
    IMG_2387.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Navy Arms was founded in 1957 by Val Forgett, generally recognized as the father of the replica firearms industry. I had one of his rolling block rifles that had a 3 digit serial number, so you are probably correct on yours. He worked with various Italian manufacturers. My rifle was Pedersoli. I have read that Uberti did his early handguns, and I would SWAG the date as 1970s. Forgett usually tried to duplicate original marking. I have a Pietta LeMat that I will dig out today and check its marking.

PS: No help from my Pietta markings. Note that Navy Arms still exists in Martinsburg, WV, run by Val Forgett, Jr. Try contacting them.

Last edited:
If my memory is right these only became available in the late 80;s or early 90's? I can't recall seeing any reproduction LeMats before then and I was a pretty active muzzle loader shooter in the 1970's and 80's (before wandering off into the milsurp world for a long while). I know when my interest in muzzle loaders revived (@10/15 years ago) these were available then. I looked at several but never did get around to buying one............ Kinda wish I had.

CL is date code for 2013. 44 is the calibre. All the other compulsory CIP proof marks are either gone or somewhere you haven't shown us. Interestingly, date codes for export firearms are stamped in a rectangular cartouche - home market products are not, like yours. However, de-farbing to remove the 'box' is likely, since it is a dead give-away for a reproduction, whereas a couple of letters or numbers might mean anything.

The LeMat replica is comparatively recent to the market by comparison with the Colts models. The Pietta company of Brescia, Italy has manufactured modern reproductions of the LeMat revolver since 1985. United States distributors include Navy Arms Company, Dixie Gunworks and Cabela's.

Last edited:
CL is date code for 2013. 44 is the calibre. All the other compulsory CIP proof marks are either gone or somewhere you haven't shown us. Interestingly, date codes for export firearms are stamped in a rectangular cartouche - home market products are not, like yours. However, de-farbing to remove the 'box' is likely, since it is a dead give-away for a reproduction, whereas a couple of letters or numbers might mean anything.

The LeMat replica is comparatively recent to the market by comparison with the Colts models. The Pietta company of Brescia, Italy has manufactured modern reproductions of the LeMat revolver since 1985. United States distributors include Navy Arms Company, Dixie Gunworks and Cabela's.
Yes, when I was doing my research I also came across the date codes, but they were all in the rectangular cartouche you said, not up in the barrel. I also wondered if the owner tried to de-farb it, but why stop there? Why not remove the black powder only and the navy arms co? Maybe he got lazy haha. But I'm going to try contacting Navy Arms. Thanks to everyone in the thread!

As I noted above - letters in a cartouche = export model. Letters without a cartouche = home market model. This is common knowledge in CIP-compliant countries, which the US of A is not.

I kind of envy the newer Piettas though. The engraving on the cylinder is nice, and the hammer draw looks way lighter. My hammer is absurdly heavy. Might have to break open the frame and see if I can help it.

As I noted above - letters in a cartouche = export model. Letters without a cartouche = home market model. This is common knowledge in CIP-compliant countries, which the US of A is not.
Mine should still be a Pietta though, right? Even without the markings. Navy Arms have always imported to my knowledge.

Back