• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

India made smoothbore flintlock pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aran

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Might be interested in buying an Indian made elliot light dragoon pistol. What do people think of the quality of them and what kind of accuracy is to be had? Not expecting much out of it, just seems like it would be some good fun, all I can afford anyway... :grin: :shake:

Aran

All I know is that it is Delhi Gun House. The guns are sold on this South African gunsite, still waiting on a reply from them about whether they drill the vents etc.

But otherwise, accuracy in a smoothbore pistol? What's it like?

Aran

a smoothbore pistol can be nearly as accurate as a rifled pistol. Pistol accuracy is more a matter of grip, trigger and lock than the barrel. Given good quality grip shape, light crisp trigger and a good lock speed, the barrel doesn't mean a huge amount. Conversely, a lousy grip, heavy trigger and slow unreliable lock will usually result in poor accuracy regardless of the barrel.

I think you are considering the gun for it's looks, not for match shooting.

I'm not sure what caliber the Elliot is. I had a pair of .62 smoothbore flintlock pistols once. At 10 to 12 yards I could hit a man size target with some consistency. That was after I added a front sight to each.

I wouldn't expect you to be able to do much better with this pistol out of the box. You will probably find that the trigger pull is atrocious. If it sparks well that will be a plus. Look at it as a partially assembled kit that will need a lot of work if you want to target shoot with it.

Many Klatch

Okay thanks guys I will keep your suggestions in mind. Gonna wait for a reply from the shop about specs etc. before I decide on anything.

Oh and the elliot is .62 cal, or thereabouts as the indian made stuff is never consistent.

Aran :hatsoff:

Accuracy will be like what you expect, but you're not buying the thing for a target pistol anyway.

I seem to recall someone on YouTube experimenting with a honkin' India-made Dragoon pistol...

Aran said:
Might be interested in buying an Indian made elliot light dragoon pistol. What do people think of the quality of them and what kind of accuracy is to be had? Not expecting much out of it, just seems like it would be some good fun, all I can afford anyway... :grin: :shake:

Aran

I picked up the heavy dragoon (the pistol that preceded the Elliot, it's longer than the Elliot) from Flintlock Repair in Nov. or Dec. I'm happy with it. Sparks well, no delay in ignition and reasonably accurate on man-sized targets even out to 20 yards (though only five more yards and accuracy disappears!). It's a fun gun and good looking.

Why not look around for one made right here in USA ??? Not to pat myself on the back, well not tooo much anyway--look at my 16 Bore quasi-military flint pistol over on builders page. Modern steel bbl. USA made flintlock, 2-1/2 lb. While not as accurate as a rifled bbl. THEY will hit at close range, as well as put snakes right to sleep loaded with 1 oz. shot....Tom

I have a 20 gauge smoothbore flintlock pistol. Mostly shoot No. 4 buckshot. I not only hit something, I hit everything.

Aran, check your PMs.

Tom: Aran lives at the southern tip of the African continent; importing a muzzleloader from the United States would be ruinously expensive, and very likely a legal and bureaucratic nightmare.

Actually my Traditions flintlock kit I ordered from the US. It did however cost a lot in shipping and much more in custom taxes. I wasn't expecting the taxes as it was sent as a gift from a relative in the US. :cursing: I also had to get a improt permit for it, but that didnt cost anything... :shake:

So yes I would prefer not to go through that again...

Better pay attention next time---I sometimes don't remember we're all "Global" now...good luck Aran....Tom

Back