• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ignorance with bag molds

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aha - so this is the casting ladel with the "handle" (stick) removed and the tang swung over the bowl for compact carry?

View attachment 110534

Ingenious! I learned me sonthing here today.

yessir,

he’s got 2 or 3 options.

one like above,
Fixed with handle
And a copper one that you whittle a stick to a point and stuff it in the end like replacing a hoe handle.

RM

Great posts, @Rod Man ! Casting bullets is mentioned frequently in literature of the old frontier. I think one of the differences between bullet casting then and now is that they would just run a few balls as needed, but would cast frequently. Ruxton stated this was a very common, almost nightly activity with the trappers, running ball and mending moccasins by the camp fire. The tools were simple. John Kirk Townsend described using an old spoon as a ladle, and building a fire to run a few balls before a deer hunt. Now, we make sort of a production out of it with all of our dedicated casting equipment. We don't cast as often but we like to churn them out in quantity.

Mr. Rod Man has the right idea... A ladle, a campfire, and a mould, and you're good to go. If the sprue cutter doesn't snip close enough, you whittle the protrusion down with your knife.

The handles of the old pincer-type "bag moulds" can get hot. Old timers in the field would wrap them with strips of buckskin. I've also seen them with the handles hammered straight and driven into wooden sticks. My dad used to bore into the pith of corncobs and jam the mould handles in those. Corncobs are not very durable, but they work well and are easy to replace.

Notchy Bob

What is the draw to a bag mold anyways? How many times have you really needed to make bullets in the field?
I am too fond on my Lyman molds, and I already made more bullets made than I am likely to ever shoot as it stands. Bag mold is just more weight in the possibles bag.
I guess my draw is, I don't cast but would like to experiment with it. Rather than a hot pot and multiple ball mold, I thought it would be interesting to try out an older style mold with a simple ladle over hot coals. I don't need hundreds in a year, but making 20-30 each year could be relaxing...I think.

^^ Look at it this way Boss, just mess with every once in a while to keep in touch with things, let your mind wander a bit when you’re staring at those coals and that melting lead…think about the old ways run a couple or three or 4 and call it good. Like I said in the very beginning. It’s fun to play with once in a while.

RM

I guess my draw is, I don't cast but would like to experiment with it. Rather than a hot pot and multiple ball mold, I thought it would be interesting to try out an older style mold with a simple ladle over hot coals. I don't need hundreds in a year, but making 20-30 each year could be relaxing...I think.

Yes.

right on

I just can't see myself casting bullets over a camp fire. If we are camping invariably I am the one making it home so I am just busy and the idea of a chore added doesn't sit well.

When I cast I get in the zone and end up casting way more bullets than I can possibly use. (I made a string of posts many years back when I was first learning to cast that the guys here helped me figure it all out.) And when that happens I need a mold I can use for an hour strait. One of them bag molds like already indicated gets too hot after a handful of casting.

I have always made balls in my shop, two 2 liter bottles full a year.
Never had a reason to make them in the field.
Now Im gonna have to go get one of them contraptions.
Love that you used litres. A proper unit of measurement. Might civilize you yanks yet;)

Last edited:
I use both, I have Callahan bag molds and enjoy them: and I also use Marty's Arms gang molds which are fantastic as I have 4 of them the newest one being .60 cal which I plan on using this week. I tend to shoot alot so I use the gang molds more as I can go through 20-30 balls at the range. Use whatever makes you happy! Good shooting guys!
George.

I've really been hanging out for the opportunity to buy a bag mould from Callaghan. Doing a handful at camp before a hunt would really add to the zest of it I think.

If you chewed the balls would that sort the sprue out if it were a little large?

I have a callahan 32 bag mold. Use it for scout demos. Just used my bottom pour, made 10 or so ball, cut the sprue off, last one left on just like out of the ladle with excess lead on it, poured 4 or 5 ladles full of lead, let cool and have a demo without the fire. Plus if i ever do try in the woods over a fire, got it all ready to go. Leather wrapped the handles on the mold. Nice to have the setup ready to go in a purple easy to find pouch from canada.

I have a callahan 32 bag mold. Use it for scout demos. Just used my bottom pour, made 10 or so ball, cut the sprue off, last one left on just like out of the ladle with excess lead on it, poured 4 or 5 ladles full of lead, let cool and have a demo without the fire. Plus if i ever do try in the woods over a fire, got it all ready to go. Leather wrapped the handles on the mold. Nice to have the setup ready to go in a purple easy to find pouch from canada.

I saw that in Notchy's post as well. That is something that will happen soon enough.

RM

I use a tiny bronze mold I bought years ago from Dixie and have cast thousands of .45 ball. When our club does public demonstrations I cast with that little mold and another original bag mold (.48 cal.) about 5 inches overall. I cast 4-6 ball let it cool for a minute then dipthe handles (ONLY THE HANDLES) in my cup of water keeping mold portion up, then wipe with a rag. It all goes very fast and one can cast 40 balls in a short time while speeking to the public. Not a chore really at all, if one wants to shoot muzzleloaders a certain level of patience should be expected.

So? If that is true, what did they use in the period to run a whole bunch of ball when needed? There are written accounts of inhabitants of various forts and blockhouses running ball through the night leading into engagements they knew were coming the next day. Gunmakers were known to include a mold for a ball that fit the gun they were delivering to the customer. I don't think these were Lee double cavity molds in either case.
I'm sure they had other kinds of moulds available than just a "bag mould" back then.

Back