• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ignorance with bag molds

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daryl Crawford

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Was looking at feedback on bag molds. I've never melted lead, let alone poured it into a mold but was looking into bag molds for my .50 rifles and .62 smoothbore.
I wouldn't know a good one from a piece of junk. I noticed TOTW is out. I've seen others online.
I could use recommendations on a .490 and a .595 or .60 mold that works well and suggestions on maintaining such a mold.
Thanks in advance.

Larry Callahan made mine. There are others that make them probably cheaper. He is my go to guy for several things, so I will jus stick with him.

http://www.bagmolds.com/UNZIPPED/htdocs/1.shtml
That rascal will get hot in the hands pretty quick. When I first got it, I treated it the way Lee tells you to prep their molds clean it out real good and then smoke it with a match. The sprue cutter works but not as clean as a commercial mold. When done, I just clean excess slag/residue off do a once over and re smoke it with a match. I wrap in a thin cloth that has a bit of ballistol on it and keep in with the rest of my period tools.

To be honest, its fun to play with every once in a while...but I do not use it often.

RM

Last edited:
I’ve got a TOTW one in .600 for my .62 smoothbore. It is made in India. The closure isn’t perfectly square and leaves a bit of a ridge in the center, I call it an equator line. I just smooth it out between two pieces of black walnut. Nothing much to maintaining it, keep the pivot greased and it’s good to go. For the price it’s a good piece of kit. If you want a premium bag mold go with Callahan. One day I’ll justify the expense and get one myself.
Running your own ball is a relaxing and fun part of our hobby I think.

Last edited:
What is the draw to a bag mold anyways? How many times have you really needed to make bullets in the field?
I am too fond on my Lyman molds, and I already made more bullets made than I am likely to ever shoot as it stands. Bag mold is just weight in the possibles bag.
I’ve only made balls in the field in the evening around the campfire yarning with the boys. You’re correct there’s no need and it’s inefficient. But a smoothbore .62 is inefficient compared to a Winchester 70.
Some of us get more enjoyment out of this hobby practicing the skills of our forbears at a leisurely pace. As you yourself stated you’ve made more bullets than you’re likely to use. Some might say that’s inefficient. I enjoy taking my bar lead, ladle and mold to the fire pit on a sunny afternoon and running a few to shoot the next day. My bag mold doesn’t weigh much more than my iPhone and I’d much rather carry the former then the latter.
To each their own, you go your way I mine.
Happy shooting

Last edited:
What is the draw to a bag mold anyways? How many times have you really needed to make bullets in the field?
I am too fond on my Lyman molds, and I already made more bullets made than I am likely to ever shoot as it stands. Bag mold is just more weight in the possibles bag.
Bag mold is a bad name. It’s a ball mold. In the past it was just a mold, people might keep them in a bag, it’s what every one had. Should one be on the move, a Hunter,trapper, merchant on a trail, it’s what you had.
We might call them historic styled molds.
Callahan molds throw a ball as fine as my Lee or Lyman molds.
One can only run about five ball at a time then you have to let it cool.
I like to run ball with one and rarely use my other now and very happy with Callahan products.

I am too fond on my Lyman molds, and I already made more bullets made than I am likely to ever shoot as it stands. Bag mold is just more weight in the possibles bag.
If I am trying to experience what I can, and yes I know it can never be 100% accurate, of what it was like to live and hunt and explore in my chosen time period, I need to carry and use the tools and equipment of that time. Part if that is suffering the weight. Putting aside the ultra-light backpacker or bushcrafter mentality and accepting that the gear to do the same job just weighed more. Then either just dealing with it and using that to increase my level of respect and appreciation for the people of that time, or, experimenting with a likely period way to carry that load better. On the same token, that bag mold is lighter and more compact than my modern Lyman mold, so if I want to cast a few ball in camp or "at the fort" it is more weight and space efficient to carry that "bag" mold.

Its a box that was checked. The same reason I have linen thread and horse hair (leader), cork and turkey quills and lead shot, fish hooks to go fishing etc. I mainly carry that stuff in my Haversack and not my possibles bag. As you say that would just add weight and get in the way. Again, the fishing rig is fun to play with once in a while... but I dont fish with it much.

RM

Last edited:
I'm told they were for men living off the land and making LRB as needed. You're not going to sit and make 150 balls by the fire, but 5 or 6 should get you a deer or two. Kind of a subsistence tool when you weren't going to be back in civilization for a while. Not something you want to carry around if it's not needed, and you would have to carry some lead too. Heck, I have over 600 ball for .54, .50, and .45. Dont know how I would ever need one.

I'm told they were for men living off the land and making LRB as needed. You're not going to sit and make 150 balls by the fire, but 5 or 6 should get you a deer or two. Kind of a subsistence tool when you weren't going to be back in civilization for a while. Not something you want to carry around if it's not needed, and you would have to carry some lead too. Heck, I have over 600 ball for .54, .50, and .45. Dont know how I would ever need one.
So? If that is true, what did they use in the period to run a whole bunch of ball when needed? There are written accounts of inhabitants of various forts and blockhouses running ball through the night leading into engagements they knew were coming the next day. Gunmakers were known to include a mold for a ball that fit the gun they were delivering to the customer. I don't think these were Lee double cavity molds in either case.

FA6CD00C-7CC8-480F-B183-3242400E1FC4.jpeg

6803058C-4213-4A98-B3C6-A7D75C10C015.jpeg

I’m sure we’ve all seen similar items. There’s a few in Neumann’s Collectors Encyclopedia of the American Revolution. Multi cavity mould’s would’ve been used in forts and armouries, maybe packed on horseback for long hunts. Definitely not going in my bag.

Back