• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103
Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShiroiHiyake

32 Cal
Reaction score
I am currently on a distant waiting list for a flintlock fowler from Tennessee Valley Muzzeloading. I was looking at bag molds and Track the wolf has been out of stock for a while. I did find Callahan bag molds and I plan to get one of those but it has three options: caliber, ball size, custom. Custom is unnecessary but I am curious about the difference between caliber and ball size. I understand 20 gauge is 62 caliber which I believe translates to .600 in ball size. Is the option only there incase you know one piece of information but not the other or is there an important differentiation between the two? Forgive my ignorance and I appreciate any help you can provide.

Larry Callahan can give you the diameter of the molds or suggest a diameter for a specific gauge. His molds are marked by diameter. Caliber and diameter are effectively the same. Gauge or balls per pound can get really confusing in a hurry when trying to specify a ball diameter. A ball from 0.585 to 0.605 + or - can be used in a 20 gauge fowling gun. I have a 21 gauge (antique) mold that I cast balls for my 20 gauge. It's not perfectly spherical, so reporting on a ball diameter can be any of the previous diameters.

A pure lead ball that weighs 1/20 of a pound is a specific diameter, about 0.615.

I am reading this, and I'm getting confused.

Fortunately, a smoothbore can be very tolerant with regards to the diameter of the ball.

I am currently on a distant waiting list for a flintlock fowler from Tennessee Valley Muzzeloading. I was looking at bag molds and Track the wolf has been out of stock for a while. I did find Callahan bag molds and I plan to get one of those but it has three options: caliber, ball size, custom. Custom is unnecessary but I am curious about the difference between caliber and ball size. I understand 20 gauge is 62 caliber which I believe translates to .600 in ball size. Is the option only there incase you know one piece of information but not the other or is there an important differentiation between the two? Forgive my ignorance and I appreciate any help you can provide.
Don’t apologize! This website is made for questions. You will likely play around with a few different ball sizes/wadding combinations before you settle on one. As an aside, I once had a TVM fowler and it was awesome! Wonderfully made. Good luck!

The TOW bag mold I bought does not compare to the quality of Larry's. It leaves a seam, the size isn't accurate and it's too long to fit in my bag. Definitely go with Larry's.

I shoot .600 in my .62 Fowler. I cast them with a Lee double cavity mold. I have to use a very thin patch if I want to use a patch. I bought a .595 from Larry that I have yet to use but I believe it will allow me to use a thicker patch and load easily.

If your need is for production casting you might want to get a Lee double cavity mold. Bag molds get hot very quickly.

A 20G is a .615 although it varies. It doesn't translate to any ball size, you can use whatever (see BP maniac shooters videos).

There is no hard and fast rule on what is "best" especially in smoothbores. The only way to figure that out is to try different things in your gun. What works in my fusil won't necessarily work in yours, in fact what works in my centermark fusil may not work in another centermark fusil. They're funny like that.

My fusil does pretty similar groups with a .600 ball using patch or bare ball, elevation is the biggest change.

I will say, using a bag mould over a fire while "cool" isn't likely to give you best balls or consistent weights. This may impact your accuracy. Get yourself a cheap Lee 0.600 mould to start if you're not familiar with casting and start there. If you are I'd consider a custom 0.610 mould.

I shoot a .600 in my .62, but recommend for the gun when I got it was .595. The gun shoots the same with each. At least as well as I shoot. I got a .600 because Callahan had that size with out customs
When I make a paper cartridge for the gun I shoot a .575.
I would suggest you don’t buy a mold until you have shot several sizes with different load styles

My 20 gauge smoothbore flintlock bores measure .615 and .620 respectively. Both guns shoot better with looser loads than tight patched loads. A .595 ball shoots well with either a .010 patch or sandwiched between a lubed wad and a card to hold it in. I usually shoot a .610 ball with the wad sandwich for hunting just to gain the extra projectile weight/mass.

I would buy different diameter balls and try them before you buy a mold. when you find out which diameter you gun likes best then buy the mold. Lee Precision molds are fairly cheap and of good quality.
Bingo. Best answer yet. Plus, reconsider why you want a bag mould. They are difficult to use, get hot and, in many cases, do not produce as good a quality ball as a regular mould. Lee moulds are reasonable. Get familiar with casting then decide on final size and if you still want a bag mould. For me, casting is fun but really only a means of getting fodder for my rifles. I don't play olde timey in the shop, but do with my rifles and in the field or ronny.

The Lee molds are reasonable and produce a good ball. At this time, the Lee Precision offering are limited to a 0.575" ball and the 0.600" mold. The 0.575 is likely to be too small and depending on the bore size of @ShiroiHiyake's fowling gun, a ball of 0.580" to 0.610" might provide the best performance.

The starting point to determine the desired round ball mold is to purchase an assortment of sizes from a supplier such as Rush Creek. I believe there are several other suppliers as well. Stonewall Creek Outfitters, Three Rivers Roundballs

Last edited:
I shoot a .600 in my TFC, most of the time. The ball is too big for a paper cartridge. With that I shoot a .575, but accuracy at fifty yards suffers and I wouldn’t want to hunt deer with it. Unless I stayed under thirty yards.
For me paper cartridge is a toy at the range or woods walk
There is no one size per gun rule.
You may want a .610 for one shot, .600 or .595 for reloads in the woods.

20 gauge barrels are .615 inside diameter . Round ball and mold for R.B. sizes you'll find available are .595 , .600 and .610 . Its best if you buy some round ball and try shooting them , patched and unpatchrd , before you buy a mold . Each barrel seems to like something different . I would advise against .610 unless you plan on never shooting a patched ball . Good luck bud . Keep us posted .....

TVM .62 Fowler, .600rb and .015/.016 patch with .60gr of 2f makes the steel ring on woods walks!!!
C39C3501-7993-4A86-86E9-09ECEDB4AD9C.jpeg

Back