• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ignition while loading

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In case no one told you yet, the Civil War ended around 158 years ago.
No need to hurry that shot anymore Zuggie! Buy a few pre-measured plastic tubes, an easy find at places like Cabelas.
"buy a few pre-measured plastic tubes" , just more un-necessity stuff to pack around, mine flask works just fine

Last edited:
Now that we have covered four pages of , he said, she said. Some people do, others don't, this ship has sailed
But.... the thread hasn't devolved into a discussion about leaving the spent primer on the cone after firing and not removing it until after the next load has been rammed home...

:eek:

1090–BLOWING DOWN THE BARREL–There will be NO blowing down the barrel of any firearm during NMLRA matches in any manner that requires placing the head in front of the muzzle. A flexible blow tube may be used at the shooter’s option, provided that the shooter’s head is not placed in front of the muzzle

There is this little issue. If a guy wants to be ejected from the range it is a good idea.

1090–BLOWING DOWN THE BARREL–There will be NO blowing down the barrel of any firearm during NMLRA matches in any manner that requires placing the head in front of the muzzle. A flexible blow tube may be used at the shooter’s option, provided that the shooter’s head is not placed in front of the muzzle

There is this little issue. If a guy wants to be ejected from the range it is a good idea.
Who cares? I don’t need to go to their shoots. I’m certainly not driving all the way to Indiana for that. Flea market maybe, but not to be told I have to load unsafely.

Although I do swab after every shot, but not for safety. Just for the sake of consistency. I swab even while hunting. Shoot a squirrel or rhinoceros, swab.
Yup. I swab for the same reason. However, I see no problem with blowing as regards safety. Anyone hoisting a 8-ish lbs smokepole should be able to tell
a) from recoil that the weapon is discharged, and
b) reinforce that with a visible cloud of smoke and report, and
3) from advanced mathematical skills calculate that there are now zero charges remaining in the barrel.

Any NMLRA member or affiliated club must abide the rules for a club shoot. It is required for the insurance to be valid. No insurance no club. Jeeze, just get a 10-cent piece of tubing. Shooting alone? nobody cares.

Five pages....I guess nobody will mind if I add my 2 cents to this. I load from a brass flask with the valve and various spouts. But I stand back a little and dump the powder quickly into a small funnel in the muzzle. I think by the time the powder gets to the breech my flask is out of the picture. I got the funnel idea from watching a cap and ball video featuring long range (1000 yard) shooters. I figured they were doing that to protect the muzzle but for me it adds a level of safety if loading powder from the flask. By the time I shoot, check the shot with the binoculars and go to the loading table, I think I'm ok loading through the funnel.

Yup. I swab for the same reason. However, I see no problem with blowing as regards safety. Anyone hoisting a 8-ish lbs smokepole should be able to tell
a) from recoil that the weapon is discharged, and
b) reinforce that with a visible cloud of smoke and report, and
3) from advanced mathematical skills calculate that there are now zero charges remaining in the barrel.
agree

I used to shoot with a group in upstate NY. 12-15 met each Sunday in a heated building and shot at 50 and 100 yd targets thru a hole in an exterior door. One of the participants had a TC from its custom shop. We all swabbed between shots with a damp patch since we had plenty of time. This person chose to swab with a dry patch,and he had shot with us numerous times. Suddenly, I hear a Boom!, and turn to see this guy holding his right hand. He had swabbed, poured his powder in and was seating the patched round ball when it touched off. Blew his range rod thru the ceiling and halfway thru the metal roof of the building. The loading jag caight his fingers and ripped them open. Cleaned his hand before taking him to the hospital. Later I was told this happened again without injury, but he never shot again. We never could figure out why his rifle did this. I do not swab while shooting outdoors and have never had an issue, but I was present when it happened to this poor guy.
I have seen something similar happen twice in one day at a NSSA match years ago when a load of powder dumped from a tube lit off while pouring powder, burnt fingers were the result. This is strange as the minnie balls are loaded without patches.

I shoot with a guy who had one go off while ramming the projectile.
Ram rod went through his hand, and the corrugated iron roof. Landed out on the Range.
We must never push a Ram rod down with the palm of our hand.
Now..... the rifle in question was a locally made rifle, and it was found to have a short Breech plug. That is, the plug didn't screw up tight to the barrel, leaving a space which obviously held some unburnt powder or, a hot spot.
The general consensus is that by pushing the bullet down, some small amount of air was pushed down and through the powder out through the nipple, which helped ignite the powder. Two of these rifles have discharged over the years. I've got one. Mine has been altered, and I shoot it regularly. No problem. 👍🇦🇺

Are all of those period correct old timers dead? Proof enough for me that's blowing down the barrel is not safe
As I said, I blow down my barrel after every shot to ensure my touch hole is open. If your rifle/musket fired, where is the danger. If your gun didn't go off, of course you don't blow down the barrel. If you can't tell the difference, you shouldn't be handling weapons of any kind. Semper Fi.

Latest posts

Back