• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ignition while loading

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have charged all my revolvers using a flask since the late 60's and have NEVER experienced a premature powder discharge while loading them. I also use paper cartridges and not had any issues with them either.

That is very interesting that you said that, I do the same thing and I am sure most everyone else does also, we never worry about the revolver's going off just the long guns, interesting.

Now I know we are not supposed to load a Muzzleloader from the flask but instead from a measure. My question is, has anyone had a measure of powder ignite while loading and under what circumstance IE: dumping it in straight after firing, having it go off after swabbing the barrel then loading. Only personal experience please, not hearsay. Cheers

Never had one go off and never seen one go off that way.

I blow down the barrel also, I keep a piece of hose in my kit in the event others are around to avoid questions or trying to talk to me.
At the risk of reviving an old canard, there are blowers and there are swabbers. I have had folks tell me not to swab between every shot. However, I think I have enough variables to deal with without having to add fouling, 'specially if the mark is a tiny spot in the rear peep.

There are many activities in this world that have certain dangers to them and as time progressed a variety of tricks have been developed with which to deal with those dangers.

I purchased and fired my first ML in the mid 1970's. I blew down the barrel because I read about it somewhere and the explanation made sense. But then I don't do any shooting with ML's that require rapid reloading and firing. I leave that to my unmentionables.

At 71 yrs I ride motorcycle as well. No fairing or windshield. What I refer to as an 'Open Cockpit'. And now and then for the thrill of it I'll leave the brain bucket home.

And starting model airplane engines by hand. Anyone ever see what a 12" maple stick spinning at some 10,000 rpm can do to a persons right hand, forearm and both thighs? Kneeling in front of the model starting the 10cc engine by hand. Everything went fine until his wife let go of the model.

We pick our poisons and take our chances. It's called life folks. And the responsibility is each of ours and ours alone.

And BTW, I was always told blowing down the barrel provides additional oxygen to cause any embers to burn out more quickly. I take my time to blow, spit and then reload. Never a problem!

During those same 50 years I was loading/shooting. Not once did I blow down the barrel. I'm sure it can't hurt anything. A recent thread about it surprised me in that so many shooters do that very thing. I'm comfortable not blowing down the barrel. I'm vain enough not to want to be seen doing it.
LOL I only do it when I'm alone and I always look around first haha

I have charged all my revolvers using a flask since the late 60's and have NEVER experienced a premature powder discharge while loading them.
In case no one told you yet, the Civil War ended around 158 years ago.
No need to hurry that shot anymore Zuggie! Buy a few pre-measured plastic tubes, an easy find at places like Cabelas.

Even with modern guns, a squib load can cause some big problems fast in automatics.
Only if you break a major safety rule. If the gun fails to cycle you must stop and figure to the problem. A squib that lodges a bullet in the barrel will not cycle the slide. This happens with someone is rushing and trying to look cool. Tap, rack, and bang is fine in a firefight but on the range you need to fully assess the problem.

Guys do stack up bullets in revolver barrels. The lack of recoil is a big clue.

Why people rush in a no emergency situation is beyond me.

I have never seen a squib load in factory ammo. I have seen complete failure to fire, but not squibs.

In my experience, every damaged firearm I examined was due to bad handloads. In several instances the shooter lied about the handloads to shift blame. Blame shifting to avoid embarrassment or defraud a third party is a common theme.

In case no one told you yet, the Civil War ended around 158 years ago.
No need to hurry that shot anymore Zuggie! Buy a few pre-measured plastic tubes, an easy find at places like Cabelas.
I don't know where you got the impression that I was fast loading my revolvers - I NEVER SAID anything like it.:dunno:. My handle on this forum is ZUG - not Zuggie - you don't know me and I don't know you so use my correct forum name please.:ThankYou:

"Lighten up, Francis" comes to mind. I missed where someone said you have to do it their way. I don't mean that unkindly. You're A good man. I like SAFETY FIRST. We're all different. But me, I'm just as adamant to NOT blow in a barrel. I think it is silly. But take no offense. Boy will I feel dumb when my charge ignites because I didn't blow.
How is it unsafe?? Mike, people did it for hundreds of years before the goober-nannies started going on about it. I started doing this back when I was 15 (1979). I had read (a wild concept, I know -- reading and studying about a subject) that if there was an ember, it could cook off. When I saw smoke coming out of the touch hole after firing, I was worried, so I started blowing until the smoke stopped. I STILL do it. Whether it is moist air or me just removing the last bit of combustible material, I dunna know. I will continue to do this. I know my gun has gone off. I believe that incident that caused people's pantei to get all wadded was a dude was loading for his wife and SHE had a misfire. She didn't tell him. Guess what happened. What is the moral of that story? Load your own gun.

It isn't unsafe. It SEEMS unsafe, so paranoid people flip out. In today's effed-up world, things are all about appearances. As with most things in this country, all form and no substance.

Please don't think I am being a "Richard", I'm not, I am frustrated. If it was unsafe, I wouldn't do it. Unsafe, is priming before loading. Something I would usually only do at a reenactment (using blanks) or if, say injuns were trying to kill me.

Last edited:
Yall need to lighten up. You wanna blow down the barrel, i trully dont GAS. But every body from my grandpa to a range officer taught me dont put your face in front of a muzzle. Do what you want . I dont care. Just lighten up on those of us who happen to be a little more careful than you ‘been doing it for 40 years’ guys.
I don't care what you think. or do. Stay away from me. People like you cause warnings to be on everything and real black powder to not be available. I am guessing you are one of those with a "baby onboard" sticker on your minivan.

Last edited:
Back