• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I need help with my black powder rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruh

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hello, I’m new here so I’m just gonna get straight to the point, I bought a .45 Kentucky black powder percussion rifle from a pawn shop, besides knowing the model number and where it’s from, I don’t know what to buy and what to do to get it firing again. I doesn’t seem and bad shape and needs some accessories like a nipple but besides that, I don’t know what size the nipple needs to be, neither the wad/ paper that goes underneath the ball with ramming the barrel. It seems like I can get any time of caps for the rifle but not sure if I’m wrong. I also doubt there’s someone in my city that can help me check the barrel of this rifle just to make sure it’s in good condition. I could really use some help here since it’s my first black powder rifle ever so any tips and suggestions would help

Hello, I’m new here so I’m just gonna get straight to the point, I bought a .45 Kentucky black powder percussion rifle from a pawn shop, besides knowing the model number and where it’s from, I don’t know what to buy and what to do to get it firing again. I doesn’t seem and bad shape and needs some accessories like a nipple but besides that, I don’t know what size the nipple needs to be, neither the wad/ paper that goes underneath the ball with ramming the barrel. It seems like I can get any time of caps for the rifle but not sure if I’m wrong. I also doubt there’s someone in my city that can help me check the barrel of this rifle just to make sure it’s in good condition. I could really use some help here since it’s my first black powder rifle ever so any tips and suggestions would help
Need to know brand right off. From brand we can determine country of origin and then what nipple it would need.

Bruh, you came to the right place, as there are some really good people on this forum that are experts in teaching all the little nuances of black powder magic, and will help you to learn and polish your new skills.
But as Florida conch said, you've got to provide all possible information of your wonderful new muzzleloader.

So many questions to be answered. Best thing to do in that situation is just solve one and then move on to the next. As posted above, start with what you already know: make and model.

I'd also suggest start watching some YouTube videos about that make and model to expand your knowledgebase not only about that make and model but about black powder muzzleloader shooting in general. Often it takes knowing something about something before you even know what it is you need to ask.

Tell us the make and model of your Kentucky rifle.

You say the rifle needs a nipple. The nipple threads may be metric or they may be US Standard (SAE). We need to know who made the rifle to even begin to help. Go to a local full-service hardware store and buy one each of an approximately 1" long threaded bolt in the following sizes. 1/4-28" , 6-1.00 mm and 6-0.75mm. Keep the bolts in separate marked bags. One of the bolts should fit the threads in the nipple seat.

You will need the sized cap that fits the nipple you get for your rifle. Track of the Wolf is a great source for your muzzleloading needs.

@B P Maniac Shooter has a number of videos on You Tube that can give @Bruh some insight on getting started. I'll suggest this to be the first one to watch.

The National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association (NMLRA) has good information on its website.

https://www.nmlra.org/getting-started-in-muzzle-loading

Latest posts

Back