• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I have a problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my home getting a new rifle past the wife would be like getting a hamburger past a hound.
and the "N" word ,"Need",,never use it again,
it is ugly no matter where it is used and never use it around polite company or wives,girlfriend. especially when you are discussin rifles weapons and the such. You dont "have" (ne,,nea,,ne cant even spell it,children read this site) to eat everyday but you do cause it makes you feel good and society exspects you to.
Get "them" shooting and work out from there.

I keep my wife in ignorant bliss where my guns are concerned. She is not interested in this hobby and pretty well ignorant of firearms. One rifle looks like any other to her :wink: She kinda caught on to the double barrel though "That doesn't look like your rifle, does that have 2 barrels?" :idunno:

I try to hide em from my wife when I buy a new shooting iron cause she likes to shoot to and I'm afraid she will lay claims to it before I can shoot it.

bamaboy said:
Aint it amazing how the women folk always know when us guys are up to something!
Ya'll will either get too quite or too talkative. Then there is the shifty glances and the smell of fear you will get caught. Yep, we can smell it on you.
:wink:

Best to keep it all above board and play it straight.

bamaboy said:
I try to hide em from my wife when I buy a new shooting iron cause she likes to shoot to and I'm afraid she will lay claims to it before I can shoot it.

That would be my problem as well, not so much with long guns but if its a pistol she's going to want it! (haven't lost my navy colt yet, but then she hasn't shot it yet...) There is a silver lining. She never gets to officially claim a gun till she lets me buy a replacement :grin: :grin:

hadden west said:
Yeh....If you don't have a flintlock....You got a serious problem. Caplock rifles, just make you want a Flintlock and then.......Hmmmmm

...and then you want another flintlock!! :grin:

Cindy you have a point there. On the serious side the wife and I shoot a good bit. She is a great shot with a handgun. She started hunting with me a couple of years ago and she really enjoys it. I'm a deputy sheriff and work with a lady that's also a deputy and she is an outstanding pistol shooter and has trained with me to become a spotter on our departments special response team. This young lady is very capable. I love lady shooters the ones I've been around have been easier to teach than most new guy shooters. They seem to have fewer bad habits to correct.

That is simple to explain.
Men are expected from a young age to have an interest in firearms in this country. As this is information that this society assumes that men have, many men will bristle at the idea of being shown something they think they already know. I have seen plenty of guys who think that because they shot their grand pa's rifle back when they were a teen they actualy know something when they really do not.

Most women have no expectations on them that they know any thing about a gun and it is not offensive to women to admit they do not know something. Also any woman who has decided to take up shooting is likely dead serious about it and plan on learning well.

This results in men who think they already know how to use a firearm and women who are willing to listen to experiance.

at least thats what I guess is the cause

Cyndi you hit the nail on the head. A lot of guys that have shot a little are full of all these notions that they know how to shoot and its harder to break them of all the bad habits than it is to teach proper techniques to new shooter.

cynthialee said:
That is simple to explain.
Men are expected from a young age to have an interest in firearms in this country. As this is information that this society assumes that men have, many men will bristle at the idea of being shown something they think they already know. I have seen plenty of guys who think that because they shot their grand pa's rifle back when they were a teen they actualy know something when they really do not.

Most women have no expectations on them that they know any thing about a gun and it is not offensive to women to admit they do not know something. Also any woman who has decided to take up shooting is likely dead serious about it and plan on learning well.

This results in men who think they already know how to use a firearm and women who are willing to listen to experiance.

at least thats what I guess is the cause

she is so right...

the hardest person to train to shoot is a semi rural eighteen year old male. if they can hit an e-type offhand at twenty feet after six months and a near infinity of ammunition, you've done well. take this guy's girlfriend, however, spend about a half hour and a box of ammo, and you've got someone who's pretty a good shot.

by the way, the fellow needs a .62 smoothie in flint. he should tell his wife up front that this will be the new addition, that this is how he plans to spend his discretionary money, that this is the guy she's with and , no, it's not like a suit which can be taken in for alterations, it's a guy and you get what you get.

thus:

'girlspeak" 'guyspeak"

does this dress you're gonna sleep on
make me look fat? the couch tonight

you've changed you won't do everything
that you're told to do

we need to talk i'm screwed

how am i doing? have i totally p###-ed off everyone?

You can't get "recoil paste"? I use it every time I have to replace a muffler bearing. You have to hammer them in and I find if I smear it with the paste that the hammer doesn't bounce as much.

Wow, I have different problem, the wife sees a gun at a garage sale or the flea market and says "Boy that would sure look good on the wall". I've got two that way, a TC 45 and a thumbhole Marlin 17 with laminated stock. I'm the one that usually says "No, I've got some I haven't shot yet".
She is a man's dream,
David

phoenix113 said:
Problem is how without the wife knowing? :confused:

Okay, I've been married 48 years so I know a thing or two about dealing with a wife. You have to be fare with her. Subtrofusion is not the answer. Let's assume the money is there to buy the rifle. You are going to need a bit more than just the price of the rifle because your loving wife disserves something, too. Simply tell her that you have found a rifle that you really want and you have the money to pay for it. Then say something like "It wouldn't be fare for me to get something and you not to. So, you know that _________ (you fill in the blank with something nice) that you have been wanting? Let's get that for you." If, in fact, the money is there, she will usually respond with something like "Oh honey, that is so thoughtful of you. Okay you go ahead and buy your rifle and then we will go shopping for __________ (her choice)" It's a win-win. You treat her right and she will treat you right. When you try sneaking around and doing things behind her back, you are just looking for trouble in your marriage. 'Tain't right. Don't do it. No gun is worth it. :hatsoff:

Cynthialee, I can attest that your theory is correct, and that goes for fishing and hunting, as well as shooting. I have three daughters, who can shoot, fish, and hunt very well, due to diligent attention paid to their teacher (their Dad). But every now and then I have to drag one of their &%&$$#^% stupid boyfriends with us on an outting, and oh boy, they already know everything! I just make sure they follow the safety rules and watch them make fools of themselves.

Plus, I don't like their boyfriends to begin with. :hmm: Bill

"Don't do it. No gun is worth it"

Been married 42 years. Your advice does not apply to firearms purchase. If you want it, buy it. Guns are not discretionary purchases. They are neccesties of life, just like food, clothing, a house & car.

Should taught her that decades ago.

Back