• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

To The All Knowing All Wise TMF Crew.....Let's Talk About the CVA Line of FRONTIER Rifles.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

64Springer

75 Cal.
Reaction score
Howdy.

CVA put out a .50 caliber line of percussion sidelocks called the FRONTIER.

It came in RIFLE form and CARBINE form.

I have a .50 caliber Frontier rifle barrel collecting dust and would like to build a short stock rifle with it. Barrel is 28 inches long. 1:66 twist. 15/16th across the flats. And has the typical fixed iron sights.

I'm looking at a carbine, HUNTER, model with a 24 inch barrel that has an adjustable rear sight.

Question: Will my 28 inch rifle barrel drop right into place using that carbine stock? Same wedge location? Same quick release tang? Etc. All info is good info.

Many thanks to you all.

Last edited:
Not sure, I had rec'd a Frontier rifle as a gift from an estranged sister before she became strange. It was from a raffle in WI, used and put away dirty. Bore looked like poo. Did mollasses trick and brushed hard. Thing still pretty ugly but shot REAL good. Sold here a year or so back.

I often wonder about CVA stuff like locks being interchangeable. Never though about sticks. Anyone have a list (or wanna make one) of the many CVA Jewels and what fits what and where?

Good thread Mr Spring

Not sure, I had rec'd a Frontier rifle as a gift from an estranged sister before she became strange. It was from a raffle in WI, used and put away dirty. Bore looked like poo. Did mollasses trick and brushed hard. Thing still pretty ugly but shot REAL good. Sold here a year or so back.

I often wonder about CVA stuff like locks being interchangeable. Never though about sticks. Anyone have a list (or wanna make one) of the many CVA Jewels and what fits what and where?

Good thread Mr Spring
I hadn't even considered lock size.

Toss that into the mix too.

From what can gather these muzzleloaders are from the late 70s and early 80s.

TMF search function and Google turned up nothing.

Last edited:
I have one in the box unfired, do you want me to look at anything on it?

The barrels should swap assuming both are either hook or button breech.

Thank you for the offer.

I have a hook breech, but don't know if the Hunter Carbine I'm looking at has a hook or button. Odd that CVA would interchange the damn things from rifle to rifle.

And the seller isn't too keen on providing detailed info.

Won't even tell me the flat to flat dimension.

@64Springer I have an unbuilt (izzat a word?) CVA Frontier 50 caliber kit. I can pull some measurements if that would help.

FWIW, I suspect it is 1:48 twist.

The CVA Frontier and the Frontier Hunter are different guns if I recall correctly. Currently have a 50 caliber CVA Frontier with a ~24”~ barrel that is trimmed in brass with a single wedge. Had a CVA Frontier Hunter years ago that if I am remembering correctly was very similar, but was trimmed in blued steel. Never attempted swapping components, but I would have been surprised if they didn’t swap. As it seems you have passed on the deal, not much else to offer.

I know this off target...I have a 1980 Traditions Frontier Scout. CVA trigger and lock. My son gifted it to me...it was broke...not now.

Back