• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA RB only, minnie or maxi

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldbloke

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have a CVA percussion ML .50 cal. 26" barrel.
Manual indicates they only made 1/48 or 1/66.
But Ive measured the twist and apears to be 1/72 twist.
Originally only purchased for a bit of occassional fun because it was very cheap but looked in good condition. Been shooting RB and managing about 2" at 50 yards.

Anyway thinking of a bit of hunting and wondering if the experienced here can advise.
I know slower twists like 1/66 & 1/72 are mainly for ball.

But is it very likely it would shoot a minnie or maxie well or very unlikely?
(Actually dont know much about them) If its worth a shot, what bullet mold should i buy to give me my best chance.

No point buying a mold if its pretty unlikely.

Thx for helping.

IF you have measured it correctly and it is a 1:72 then it's unlikely that it will shoot maxi balls or any similar conical. The reason I cast doubt on your measurements is because 1:72 is very unlikely but it could be an aftermarket barrel. What are the markings on the barrel?

Regardless of twist it seems that accuracy is pretty good so in reality you are good to go for most hunting.

IF you have measured it correctly and it is a 1:72 then it's unlikely that it will shoot maxi balls or any similar conical. The reason I cast doubt on your measurements is because 1:72 is very unlikely but it could be an aftermarket barrel. What are the markings on the barrel?

Regardless of twist it seems that accuracy is pretty good so in reality you are good to go for most hunting.
Thankyou longcruise.
ATM i cant check. But ill check the barrel in a couple of weeks. See if it has any ID stamped on it.

It's a 26 or 27" barrel and turns a little more than 1/4. So about 65" to 72" depending on how you calculate it.

Guess you could schwack many of the animals you might encounter down there. Maybe not those buff!! :eek:

This.

My Mountain Stalker is 1:48 and shoots rounds balls well over 80g ffg. It also shoots a TC Maxiball well. An OP wad improves the accuracy of the Maxiball a smidge so it’s worth using IMO.

Bob

I have a CVA percussion ML .50 cal. 26" barrel.
Manual indicates they only made 1/48 or 1/66.
But Ive measured the twist and apears to be 1/72 twist.
Originally only purchased for a bit of occassional fun because it was very cheap but looked in good condition. Been shooting RB and managing about 2" at 50 yards.

Anyway thinking of a bit of hunting and wondering if the experienced here can advise.
I know slower twists like 1/66 & 1/72 are mainly for ball.

But is it very likely it would shoot a minnie or maxie well or very unlikely?
(Actually dont know much about them) If its worth a shot, what bullet mold should i buy to give me my best chance.

No point buying a mold if its pretty unlikely.

Thx for helping.

So here's your options..,

I'd suggest you get a Lee brand, double-cavity, Lee REAL .50 Mold

My CVA in . 45 is a 1:66 and it will shoot round balls well, but won't shoot a Thompson Center Maxi-Ball at all. They tumble like an American football kicked for a field goal...

However, the R.E.A.L. bullet from Lee is different. The name stands for "Rifling Engraved At Loading" which means that the front band on the bullet is a tiny tiny bit oversized, and you use a bullet starter, and swage it onto the rifling at the muzzle when loading. THEN you know the bullet is getting proper contact with the rifling. Lee Makes molds for 250 grain bullets and 320 grain bullets in .50 caliber, but a slow twist normally needs a shorter bullet. IF it turns out to be a 1:48, you're fine, but if it's the 1:66 then I think you have a better chance of the 250 grain flying well.

The other option is the Hornady PA Conical. It's even shorter, and it's very similar to a bullet once called the "ball-ett", and was introduced for some shallow rifled barrels, but they might work too. The label says they are for 1/66 twist barrels.

LD

Last edited:
Another option would be the PA Conical. 240 grains, slight hollow base.

20231016_184642_copy_800x553.jpg
20231016_184719_copy_800x477.jpg

I recently ordered a LEE 452-160-RS mold from Amazon to use in my 1:66 twist. It is a conical, so would take care of the roundball issue. But is also a short bullet and stabilize fine in the slow twist rifle. I get about the same accuracy as with my PRBs.

Maybe they have a similar. 50?

Oldbloke, hollow base bullets can be nose heavy and more at peace with slower twists.
Because of that I'd give some designs a try before giving up.

About hunting, for many of us old guys open sights start to mean shorter ranges. Shorter ranges are where bullets longer than round ball and slower twists work better together!

The Hornady PA Conical is your answer, if they are available in your locale. In my guns, they shoot to the same POI as round balls. I have some guns with slow twists that shoot conicals very well, and others with the same twist that tumble at 25 yards. My Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken (.54, 1 in 65") shoots the Hornady Great Plains (no longer available, but I got a stash) very well. One hole groups at 50 yards (1150 fps) , unless I use more than 60 grains of powder. Then it is a basketball size "group" at that same distance. You never know until you try it, but the PA Conicals are a safe bet.

Latest posts

Back