• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting opportunities in CA

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think there is still a season for Ar S.

Minimum caliber is 72 though as deep penetration is required to hit any real living tissue. Head shots are worthless as the skull is quite thick and largely empty.

Not very wary or smart...but generally accompanied by many lookouts so ive heard. Youll want full camo and patience.

That particular species is prone to making bad decisions so if u are patient ull get an opportunity.

Good luck!

armymedic.2 said:
I think there is still a season for Ar S.

Minimum caliber is 72 though as deep penetration is required to hit any real living tissue. Head shots are worthless as the skull is quite thick and largely empty.

Not very wary or smart...but generally accompanied by many lookouts so ive heard. Youll want full camo and patience.

That particular species is prone to making bad decisions so if u are patient ull get an opportunity.

Good luck!

:rotf:

forget CA, there are plenty of real states out there that still allow people to have liberties.

-matt

I am a life long CA resident and believe me there are a lot of other sates I would prefer to live in...especially as a hunter and firearms enthusiasts (gun nut)! That being said I will try to keep it positive and lay out a few good things about CA hunting opportunities, focusing on the northern part of the state:

1. Nearly unlimited public land - literally millions of acres of national forest with a dozen or so designated wilderness areas.

2. The muzzleloader specific hunts have very limited tags and are a draw hunt but are late season which is nice since general deer season is early, hot, and way before the rut.

3. You can use a muzzleloader during the the general season which are over the counter tags.

4. In many of the general season zone s you can purchase two buck tags, forked horn on one side or better, no doe season.

5. The draw back to all of our public land is how big the state is. This past season I literally drove 8 hours from where I live in the bay area to my hunting area - still in the same state!

6. We have a very strong bear population and the tags are over the counter with a generous season. Nothing prohibits using a muzzleloader but not special season.

7. We have a very strong wild pig population, season open all year, no limit - draw back most live on private land in the foothill areas.

Oh well, as a semi frustrated CA resident trying to look on the bright side.... Hope this helps

I used to live In Ca, now Utah, Best friend and hunting partner live there, I have been going hunting there for years,as a non res.
I am impressed with their game management. This spring turkey Hunt I got 2 long beards with my BP shot gun and 1 with my 10 ga.
You can get 1 per day with 3 total, they also have a falI hunt (2) birds, I have to buy a non. res. license which I also bought a deer tag, I did not draw on the limited ML.Hunt, but I did go back for the general Hunt and shot a 26" Ca. Black tail,with my .58 Doug Allen perc.( I will try to post pics.)
Yes I agree their are a bunch of antis that live there,
but a lot of hunting and oh yeah great fishing oppertunities more varity then almost any other state out there soooo don't knock it until you have tried it. I have shot Pigs, (8)Bear, (2)deer (7),Turkies (25 or more) Also there is the pacific fly way I have seen snow geese in the hundreds of thousands,Grays, Woodies,Green wings. etc. Valley Quail out the Wazoo.

How does the California Condor lead restriction affect muzzleloading in CA

KHickam said:
How does the California Condor lead restriction affect muzzleloading in CA

As far as big game, if you're hunting in the lead free zone, it makes it really tough for the traditional hunter. I've experimented with ITX r/balls with limited success.

GW

I will be in Riverside/San Bernadino Counties or that area I am pretty sure

Back