• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting In Cold Weather?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bring mine inside every time. It’s never been a problem.
Personally I think it’s more theoretical than actual.
When I see the water that has condensed on the cold metal when I bring it inside I know that it's more than just theoretical. I could be wrong but I figure the same thing is happening on the inside that I see on the outside. I'm talking about cold outside and warm and humid inside. Things may vary depending on the conditions.

Ironically, I have this problem in the summer. If I put a rifle in a gun case inside the air conditioning, then take the case outside into 100+ degree temps for any length of time the rifle will sweat in the case. I have to either go to an air conditioned vehicle, or open the gun case and let it breathe.

seen them for lack of better words sweat when brought into a warm area

When I see the water that has condensed on the cold metal when I bring it inside I know that it's more than just theoretical.
So you guys can see inside the sealed area where the powder sits behind a lubed and tightly patched ball, or tight fitting wads, at least some of which are also probably lubed, and the flash hole is plugged or nipple covered/sealed? And, you see condensation there?
I can understand moisture from the warmer, moister, air inside condensing on the outside of the cold steel barrel, and this would be visible. Maybe even a bit on the surface of the bore ahead of the sealed charge.
But, this doesn't explain how it magically reaches the powder. Especially given that we have many people who have brought their guns in from the cold, and still had them go bang when needed,,, and no examples of guns that failed to fire that can be proven to have failed due to "condensation" from temperature change.

If I was caught by the New Zealand police carrying a loaded firearm in my truck on a public road I'd would probably loose my drivers licence and certainly loose my firearms licence and all my firearms . I pull the bullet and pour out the powder back into the horn , the loss of one ball is a small price to pay .

If I was caught by the New Zealand police carrying a loaded firearm in my truck on a public road I'd would probably loose my drivers licence and certainly loose my firearms licence and all my firearms . I pull the bullet and pour out the powder back into the horn , the loss of one ball is a small price to pay .
“Loaded” is a legislated term, and different by definition in the local law. For example here in Alberta, Canada, a loaded percussion muzzleloader is defined by having a cap on the nipple, not a charge and projectile in the barrel. Flint is the same however swapping the cap for a flint in the jaws of the cock.
Walk

I’m not so certain how much condensation would actually contaminate the charge, and personally do not think it would be much, but one can rationally believe that any contamination will have a result on accuracy.
For myself, I mostly just want to avoid any moisture thus avoiding as much internal/external rust as possible to my firearm.
Walk

because condensation somehow magically penetrates the steel to get to where the powder is.
But "condensation" doesn't happen that way. All surfaces of a bore (as an example) can "condensate" moisture when the "dew point" is reached.
"Dew point" is a combination of available atmospheric moisture and ambient temp. Both are variables within a region and can change within 100yrds of a specific location.
(ever notice how the low ground has dew on the grass but the high spots don't?)(or how lakes an swamps have a fog in the morning,, but the road is clear?)
(except for them low spots)
Condensation usualy happens when there is a LARGE change in a temp swing and/or a change in available moisture.
Maybe I've just been lucky? But, I've never, ever, been known to be lucky.
I'm guessing it's just your circumstance, walk in the back door, put the gun in it's case in a corner near by,, good to go,(gradual)
If it's 20 outside and 72 inside,,
But if it's 10 and Mom's been in the kitchen canning or boiling potatoes for supper, and you bring that cold gun right up in there and put it on the counter,, that cold steel is gonna sweat. Inside and out.
Same thing with an olde "hunting camp or shack",, ya hunt all day, from can see too can't see, it's cold outside,, but ya know the cook's got the shack warm an food's ready come dark,, ya leave that gun sit in the porch.
I guess it's just sompthin we learn up here in Minn early on in life

Last edited:
But, this doesn't explain how it magically reaches the powder.
Repeated bouts with condensation can make a lubed patch damper than intended. Once damp it will draw moisture around the ball and into the powder. I have personally pulled a ball and charge only to have to put a patch worm into the powder to get it out. A wet mess.

So you guys can see inside the sealed area where the powder sits behind a lubed and tightly patched ball, or tight fitting wads, at least some of which are also probably lubed, and the flash hole is plugged or nipple covered/sealed? And, you see condensation there?
I can understand moisture from the warmer, moister, air inside condensing on the outside of the cold steel barrel, and this would be visible. Maybe even a bit on the surface of the bore ahead of the sealed charge.
But, this doesn't explain how it magically reaches the powder. Especially given that we have many people who have brought their guns in from the cold, and still had them go bang when needed,,, and no examples of guns that failed to fire that can be proven to have failed due to "condensation" from temperature change.
Sounds right to me. The condensation is caused by moisture in the air condensing and forming on the metal. If chamber area is sealed by lubed patch and covered nipple, then no moisture, or very little, is available to condense. Thanks for the subject....needs consideration.

I bring mine inside every time. It’s never been a problem.
Personally I think it’s more theoretical than actual.
Depends a lot on the humidity in the building. If you bring in a metal object, and dew condenses on it, keep the gun outside or in an unheated porch. If your powder has any exposure to the warm air, it will gather some moisture via the flash hole or open nipple; hard to say if enough to seriously affect the charge, but I am pretty sure it would affect fine priming powder. Certainly repeated cold/ warm cycles would have a cumulative effect. Time for some experimenting.

Late to the party but I have always brought my rifle inside, wipe it down when it warms up and use the next day. Many times I have loaded in early season (October) and fired it in January with no issues at all. Those were lean years for sure!

Northern Wisconsin, stored outside, under a roof of a lean-to woodshed. All of us in muzzleloader camp have been practicing this for 25+ years, no problems.

When I come home from a cold day out shooting I take it to the unheated basement. The temperature in the basement is rather constant year round. In the summer it feels cool and in the winter it feels warm. Usually the gun has been fired when I come in from outside, I then clean it and take it to it's stall for the night. If it hasn't been fired it goes to the basement, gets wiped down and put away with it's brothers and sisters.

Back