• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting Goats

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While hunting on the farm, I've had a goat alert me to a deer as well as an old mule. Never saw the deer until they alerted me. They were looking directly at the deer (about 100 yds away) in the brush which was hard to see. So I guess I had both a hunting goat and hunting mule, definitely worth some extra sweet feed. I used to get a little aggravated when they would show up at my hunting spot, but not any more.

This is the round ball after it fell out of the billy's head when I skun it out. Was slightly surprised it was still there under the skin,but I guess there's a lot of bone to pass through and at point blank it hit with plenty of velocity to upset the projectile

Attachments

• 20220107_092615.jpg
    20220107_092615.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 20220107_092608.jpg
    20220107_092608.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 31
South Australia, they're feral goats that seem to have a touch of boer in them
Where I am in The States, we had a goat get away from a "petting zoo", and started to hang out with the deer on public and private land.
I remember the first time I saw her ...I was wondering what the heck I was looking at, at a distance. She was very light in color, so several of us made sure not to kill her, as she would give away the location of the deer she was with LOOONG before the deer with their natural color blending in with the woods were close enough to see. All one had to do is keep an eye on her as she was almost bright white, and easy to see at a distance in the woods, and simply wait for her to get close and then just look hard and you could spot her deer friends.
Then some yahoo thought it a good idea to harvest her since she wasn't considered a "game animal" there were no regs stopping him, and he was a manure-tastic "hunter" (imho) and couldn't get a deer... 😞

Lately there have been five Zebra... yep Zebra..., running around in Maryland. Another Zoo escape. Folks killed some of them too... :mad:

LD

I had hunting goats. Back in the 1990's I used to use them for pack animals. We would pack in 5 to 8 miles and camp and hunt.

qJmzoVD.jpg

DW2WTa1.jpg

42DFQBu.jpg

KdT2iAE.jpg

I was hunting with my dad and a friend. I sat down to rest a bit and my goat in the first pic started to scrub his horns on a tree. A spike bull came out of the trees and stood there at 50 yards. I was actually deer hunting at the time but had an elk tag. The bull stood there and watched the goat for several minutes. I shot the bull boned him and packed him out. That was the first of 6 bulls I packed out on those goats.

37ufVMW.jpg

GSjCHUT.jpg

NBgLYrm.jpg

You are having some great times. However, I believe a round ball would be effective on goats, even big ones.
Um....yes,out of the 50 cal its fine. No way I'd use one in the 36,even if they shot straight. That billy in the photo would be 70 or 80kg.

I had hunting goats. Back in the 1990's I used to use them for pack animals. We would pack in 5 to 8 miles and camp and hunt.

qJmzoVD.jpg

DW2WTa1.jpg

42DFQBu.jpg

KdT2iAE.jpg

I was hunting with my dad and a friend. I sat down to rest a bit and my goat in the first pic started to scrub his horns on a tree. A spike bull came out of the trees and stood there at 50 yards. I was actually deer hunting at the time but had an elk tag. The bull stood there and watched the goat for several minutes. I shot the bull boned him and packed him out. That was the first of 6 bulls I packed out on those goats.

37ufVMW.jpg

GSjCHUT.jpg

NBgLYrm.jpg
Well that’s cool! How did they do in camp?

Where I am in The States, we had a goat get away from a "petting zoo", and started to hang out with the deer on public and private land.
I remember the first time I saw her ...I was wondering what the heck I was looking at, at a distance. She was very light in color, so several of us made sure not to kill her, as she would give away the location of the deer she was with LOOONG before the deer with their natural color blending in with the woods were close enough to see. All one had to do is keep an eye on her as she was almost bright white, and easy to see at a distance in the woods, and simply wait for her to get close and then just look hard and you could spot her deer friends.
Then some yahoo thought it a good idea to harvest her since she wasn't considered a "game animal" there were no regs stopping him, and he was a manure-tastic "hunter" (imho) and couldn't get a deer... 😞

Lately there have been five Zebra... yep Zebra..., running around in Maryland. Another Zoo escape. Folks killed some of them too... :mad:

LD
People are scum.

It sounds like you skinned out the billy? What do you do with the hides...the billies hide was quite pretty. It is difficult to find goat meat here in upstate NY, though I know several farms do raise them for meat. A specialty meat store up near Oswego sells small packages of goat meat,, which I curried. Very tasty.

It sounds like you skinned out the billy? What do you do with the hides...the billies hide was quite pretty. It is difficult to find goat meat here in upstate NY, though I know several farms do raise them for meat. A specialty meat store up near Oswego sells small packages of goat meat,, which I curried. Very tasty.
Heck no. I didn't even want to touch him he stank so much,but I did have to to move him,and his hair was sticky from all the urine he'd squirted all over himself. No way I was going to skin him

Ferol Goats abound in NZ and are culled by Govt cullers ,I don't rate them as hard to chase but if spooked they do get wary . Can't blame them , The meat is called Chevron in shops or restaurants and unless old rank Billie's they are good to eat usually .Ive hunted them with Matchlocks & Wheel locks & snaphances of 45 cal & 54 .I don't approuve of the BB gun antics that's unnecessary harm . A curious use of 'Husband' Ide call them' Cockies ' But good on you for culling them I was allway happy in SA have friends in Black Forest .
Regards Rudyard

BB gun antics?
Whats hard to understand about the term husband to describe the man married to the woman who granted me access ?
And its chevon, not chevron.

Back