• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Successful Speed Goat Season!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been lucky enough to draw a 107 type 0 tag in Wyoming most years I put in for it which is pretty amazing considering there are only 50 tags. It's a muzzleloading/handgun tag for the South Pass Atlantic City area. This year I decided to hunt with a 60 cal. Flintlock made by a friend Brett Smith out of Sheridan Wy. I didnt have any success the first few days while camping in the area but had seen a number of antelope. On the morning of the 28th I left camp as the sun was coming up. I worked my way to a spot I like to check before I head to the ridge above camp. As I start to peek around I see two antelope running my direction. I take cover an get ready by setting the trigger and pulling the hammer back to full cock. Peeking around the rock that is giving me cover I see two bucks around 120 yards. They are very alert and spent a good time scanning the area before eating. The bigger of the two bucks starts walking and eating his way closer to me as the smaller buck does the same just a little farther away. I take aim as he walks broad side infront of me at 75 yards. My rifle goes off as I squeeze the trigger an the buck drops in his tracks! The smaller buck confused waits for his buddy to get up while I reload. Once reloaded I walk out from behind cover to recover my kill. The smaller buck finally sees me a takes off. I approached the buck I shot an see my shot was successful at finding its mark. Got him gutted out an dragged to the road then walked the short ways back to camp where my dad an brother were waiting for me to see if I got one. They were just as excited to learn I did and hopped in the truck to go pick it up with me. Once back at camp I hung an skinned him as my brother made coffee an breakfast. Life is good!View attachment 159469
[/QUOT

Fantastic! I chatted with a guide last year in WY who said he couldn't get clients within 200 yards of a pronghorn & so I needed to upgrade my son's rifle. I passed on that hunt. This is why. Kudos, my friend.

Nice buck harvest and shot placement at 75 yards. What sort of load are you using as I have left hand flint with .60 cal Getz barrel and a .60 caliber Tulle smoothbore? If you care to use the hide don't drag the animal. Hair starts slipping after death and each time you set it down on cactus the spines may small pin holes that open up in brain tanning. The thin skin can wear through depending on how far you drag it and how rough the terrain is. Since the animal didn't run and you skinned it out soon afterwards you should have some fine tasting meat that surpasses elk, mule deer and on par with grain fed whitetail. Hunting magazine publishers prefer pictures where a lot of the blood is wiped clean or reduced but that is only if you are interested in selling a hunting story for money. What price are out of state tags in Wyoming for bucks and do you have to have a guide or can hunt on own? Out of state doe tags used to go for $40.00 and you could buy a dozen at a time but that is past history. Someone told me out of state even for doe run close to $100.00.

i have tried for 30 years to go for a antelope. it just never happened. i have taken every other animal Idaho has to offer barring the Grizzly and the antelope. if i stay this side long enough maybe i will get a goat.
your success is what life and hunting is about, making memories! i only have one cousin left that hunts, i would give my everything for the chance to hunt with my brothers.

Nice buck harvest and shot placement at 75 yards. What sort of load are you using as I have left hand flint with .60 cal Getz barrel and a .60 caliber Tulle smoothbore? If you care to use the hide don't drag the animal. Hair starts slipping after death and each time you set it down on cactus the spines may small pin holes that open up in brain tanning. The thin skin can wear through depending on how far you drag it and how rough the terrain is. Since the animal didn't run and you skinned it out soon afterwards you should have some fine tasting meat that surpasses elk, mule deer and on par with grain fed whitetail. Hunting magazine publishers prefer pictures where a lot of the blood is wiped clean or reduced but that is only if you are interested in selling a hunting story for money. What price are out of state tags in Wyoming for bucks and do you have to have a guide or can hunt on own? Out of state doe tags used to go for $40.00 and you could buy a dozen at a time but that is past history. Someone told me out of state even for doe run close to $100.00.
I use 90 grains of FF. As for out of state tag prices I'm not sure but the Wyoming game an fish website should have the info you're looking for.

Back