• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How's Pedersoli QC These Days?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe4702

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I've found I really enjoy shooting my .54 Lyman Trade Rifle and have gotten interested in getting something a little fancier - a Pedersoli Tryon in .54, probably the base model.

I found a number of posts in various forums about spotty Pedersoli quality. Most of these posts seem to be from around 2007 and earlier.

I don't know of a local stocking source for Pedersoli so this would be a mail order deal.

Before I drop that kind of money sight unseen, I was curious about any recent experiences good or bad with Pedersoli BP rifles and the Tryon in particular.

Cherry's has the base model for $960, special order. Seems about the best price I've found.

Thanks for your time,
Joe
Poway, CA

I have two rifles, Tyron and Rocky Mountain. I have won one state match with the Tryon and numerous local matches.

I have four pistols and use them at the National level for line matches and one double barrel 10 gauge.

I am happy with Pedersoli, they seem to have a following on the pistol line at Phoenix.

It's rare you hear of a Pedersoli being sent back to the factory for crummy workmanship like Lyman, they cost more, but seem to function better.

Lastly you do not have to frinkle with them to make them work, nor do you have to buy replacement triggers and locks to make them function.

I like them and have yet have had one fail to work, that is important in line matches.

rde

Thanks.

Did you get your Pedersolis at the Cabelas in Glendale? That's probably the closest authorized distributor to me.

I'm thinking next time I'm in Phoenix I'll stop by and see if they have a Tryon in stock.

I have just bought a number of Pedersoli items, namely two Besses (2nd model and carbine) and some pistols.
Provided that I only shot the 2nd model (that by the way, was really sweet to shoot), I do have quite a few flintlocks now.
The Pedersoli seem to have a really fine construction. They're not "accurate" in historical terms, but they still look fine and function very, very well.

I'm happy with my 54 cal. pedersoli Jaeger.flintlock :thumbsup:
DSC00069.jpg

Range report from yesterday at 50 yds.
DSC00376.jpg

I've found I really enjoy shooting my .54 Lyman Trade Rifle ”¦

If this statement is true, you will love a Perdersoli, hands down better in every way. :thumbsup:
Cabela's has the Rocky Mountain in 54 cal at $200 off right now. :grin: :hmm:

Nice Jaeger!

The maple Rocky Mountain Hawken on sale @ Cabelas is tempting, but I thought the back action on the Tryon looked interesting, and a little more different than the Trade Rifle compared to the RMH.

I'm also not sure I want a maple stock. Looks too nice - I'd probably be afraid of dinging it at the range. Dixie has the walnut .54 RMH on sale for $895 though.

I have half a dozen Pedersoli's dating from maybe 25 years back to a couple of years ago. I've also had the chance to handle quite a few on Cabelas racks here and there west of the Rockies.

If there's a difference between them, I'm not smart enough to spot it. It's kinda amazing really to see how consistent they've been.

I'd still recommend you look firsthand, if possible, before buying. There are wood differences, and you might change your mind about which you like best after handling a few models. But if you can't do that, I'd order what you want with the confidence that the quality will be there just like it's been for the last 25 years.

Thanks BB, that's good to know.

I'd really like to see these rifles in person, not only to check out the wood, but also to compare the Tryon to the RM Hawken.

But so far, I haven't found anyone locally that carries these. Even if I make it to Cabelas in Arizona, there is no guarantee they'd have a Tryon. They don't show that model on their website.

I'm likely going to order from Cherry's and hope for the best. But it sounds like odds are I'll get a good one.

Joe

PS to ebiggs. KU grad, class of '85.

I have bought mine from Cherry's, Flintlock Etc and one from Track of the Wolf.

No complaints from dealings with anyone.

My Tryon came from a shop In League City, TX which is long gone. I was allowed to pick from 20 rifles for the one I wanted. A nice shopping experience.

I like Pedersoli's and would like to have one more, a Mortimer.

rde

Flintlocks, Etc. is out of Tryons until February of next year. They advise I should order one in October to be sure of getting it next year.

I'm going to ping Cherry's next to see if they can get one. Their website says Tryons are special order only.

Seems a lot of Pedersoli items are special order only now.

Check with Dixie before you order one.

Also check with Taylor's very nice folks to deal with. Their gunsmith is very helpful.

rde

Flintlocksetc.com has the largest supply of Pedersolis in stock. His warehouse is much better than his web-site, and he is very knowledgeable.

Almost everything at Cherry's is "special order," and I always wonder how that works, especially in the midst of international monetary chaos.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back