• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How young to throw a tomahawk?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TexiKan said:
Weekend activity follow up from our Rendezvous that was primarily and education demonstration for school kids. We had over 800 kids in two days and no one was hurt. As previously stated, I am careful and select only one from each class to throw the tomahawk. Had two stick it on their first throw and two on their second. Only two failed to stick within four or five throws.

Earlier I mentioned a kid came to last year's event, did not get to throw but purchased a hawk and came back to me on Saturday morning, almost in tears because he was not able to stick the hawk at home. He asked for help. I cut off a little bit of his handle and helped him with the mechanics of throwing. He soon stuck it and was happy. Fast forward to this year. He came back on Friday and said, "Do you remember me?" I did not recognize his face but he reminded me I was the one he helped. He continues to enjoy throwing the hawk, keeps it sharp and just wanted to thank me for helping him. Yeah, it makes one feel good to have that kind of impact.

BRAVO! That kind of story sorta brings a tear to me eyes! It's GREAT to see repeat "customers". We had several as well! One parent commented that the kids wanted to do our Encampment FIRST, then go see everything else, lol!

We had hundreds of kids throwing hawks (while wearing their batting helmets). Nobody got scalped, we sold plenty of hawks too and made the handles while they watched one of our Craftsman shave it for them.

Glad you had a good time and warmed your heart too!

Dave

Dave, maybe it is because we are in KC Chiefs territory, but part of my instruction includes asking them to do "the tomahawk chop." I now
emphasize, just in case, that the "chop" is always done front to back without moving the hand side to side. (And I demonstrate it properly and improperly) Also, because we had some 1st and 2nd graders there, I asked the teacher to attempt to throw the hawk. That worked well, too.

Yes, it is gratifying to see a kid jump up and down and beam ear to ear when they stick the hawk. They love it and it adds to the overall experience.

Back