• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How to carry a long rifle on a horse.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My take ?? It has been done as long as riders and rifles have been paired up !! Lay it across your legs behind the saddle pommel , or , hang it from your pommel with a leather loop , with the barrel tucked between your leg and the stirrup strap . Both ways are fairly secure and not bothersome to your steed !! KNOWING your animal , and developing a trust between the two of you is extremely important to both of your safety and pleasure . I see some dastardly comments on these big beauties , but it just tells me that some people have not , or won't spend the time required to make both parties act as one . Good Hunting !!
Thank you!

One of the teachers at a school I taught at gave a seminar about horses. She was an experenced horse person and her husband was a pro trainer.

She said "Horses have two brain cells: Dumb and Dumber".

Sha also said tht horses have only one response to a problem: Run!

Without getting into the best way to carry your rifle on a horse, I will say, you are taking a big chance with your Kibler colonial.

As you know, horses sometimes will spook at the slightest provocation. Maybe it is because of a snake? Maybe it's just the way light glitters off of rippling water. Maybe it's just something the horse thinks he sees.
In any case, it happens and if you are carrying your new rifle in your hands you may quickly find out why the Plains rifles have "hell for stout" stocks with beefy, thick wrists instead of the slender graceful wrist found on the Pennsylvania long rifles.

Those thin graceful wrists can snap like a twig if the gun hits the ground wrong while the heavy Plains Rifles stout wrist and stock can usually take the fall.

Without getting into the best way to carry your rifle on a horse, I will say, you are taking a big chance with your Kibler colonial.

As you know, horses sometimes will spook at the slightest provocation. Maybe it is because of a snake? Maybe it's just the way light glitters off of rippling water. Maybe it's just something the horse thinks he sees.
In any case, it happens and if you are carrying your new rifle in your hands you may quickly find out why the Plains rifles have "hell for stout" stocks with beefy, thick wrists instead of the slender graceful wrist found on the Pennsylvania long rifles.

Those thin graceful wrists can snap like a twig if the gun hits the ground wrong while the heavy Plains Rifles stout wrist and stock can usually take the fall.

Thank you for that, I may carry my cheaper gun for a while or this is a good excuse for a real nice Hawken!

16 hands. A custom scabbard is not something I thought about.
Wow, he's a big strapping boy! So, take a look at a scabbard made for a lever gun and think about how much longer it would need to be to accommodate your muzzleloader. It would also need to be a bit less wide. Trace your rifle on some butcher paper then use a cloth measuring tape to see how wide the scabbard needs to me to go over the lock. From there you will need to chose the type of leather you want or find a saddle shop and explain what you need.

Wow, he's a big strapping boy! So, take a look at a scabbard made for a lever gun and think about how much longer it would need to be to accommodate your muzzleloader. It would also need to be a bit less wide. Trace your rifle on some butcher paper then use a cloth measuring tape to see how wide the scabbard needs to me to go over the lock. From there you will need to chose the type of leather you want or find a saddle shop and explain what you need.

Shot over the head of an older horse, new to me however. Expected a quick hard trip to the rocks. Ha ... the horse never flinched. He just turned his head and looked at me as if to say "are you really that stupid?" [yes] Polecat

Thank you for that, I may carry my cheaper gun for a while or this is a good excuse for a real nice Hawken!
Horses were a big part of my life for quite a few years, and I had occasion to carry my longrifle on one more than once. I rode in period dress, carried the rifle in my hand for the short trip, knew my horse well, was shrewd enough not to go brush busting, stayed mostly in the clear and went slowly and surely when unable to avoid the woods. I usually rode less than half a mile and back, never had even the suggestion of a problem. You obviously are an experienced rider and understand the problem, I recommend you solve it according to your needs and ignore advice from people who know less than you do. It's totally historically correct and you have an opportunity to experience a part of the life of the old boys which only comes to a very few of us. Just do it. Enjoy, and tell us how it went after you try it out.
farm2 copy.jpg

Spence

Horses were a big part of my life for quite a few years, and I had occasion to carry my longrifle on one more than once. I rode in period dress, carried the rifle in my hand for the short trip, knew my horse well, was shrewd enough not to go brush busting, stayed mostly in the clear and went slowly and surely when unable to avoid the woods. I usually rode less than half a mile and back, never had even the suggestion of a problem. You obviously are an experienced rider and understand the problem, I recommend you solve it according to your needs and ignore advice from people who know less than you do. It's totally historically correct and you have an opportunity to experience a part of the life of the old boys which only comes to a very few of us. Just do it. Enjoy, and tell us how it went after you try it out.
View attachment 78185
Spence

Thank you very much and you put into words exactly how I feel.

The thought of riding on a cool December morning on a trail in an old forest with a long rifle and gear is about as close as I am ever going to get to my own time machine.

I have seen original rifles with the fore arm worn plum through from many miles riding on the pommel of a saddle. Some had a brass wear plate tacked on to repair such wear. I would guess that was the preferred way to carry a rifle on a horse.
In defence of the nobel equine, in my younger days I hunted a lot on horseback, I only kept good horses, I trusted them and they trusted me. We called them woods horses, you could shoot off of him, lead a pack of dogs on him and he'll stand there quietly while you cut him out of a bunch of saw tooth vines. If I trusted him enough to put my young kids on him I certainly would trust him to carry a long rifle on. Do it, it's an experience you will never forget.

One of the teachers at a school I taught at gave a seminar about horses. She was an experenced horse person and her husband was a pro trainer.
She said "Horses have two brain cells: Dumb and Dumber
Sha also said tht horses have only one response to a problem: Run!

IMHO, should read: This TEACHER has two brain cells: Dumb and Dumber" But then, I must admit to no personal experience with horses.

You have to remember that the woods weren’t especially dense. These were climax forests with thick canopies and little undergrowth. In his “Notes on the Map of Virginia,” John Smith specifically mentions how open the woods were, saying “a man may gallop a horse amongst these woods any waie, but where the creekes or Rivers shall hinder.”
Jay

Many years ago I lived in SE Ohio. At the edge of my property there was a limestone ridge that looked over a small depression, maybe 30-40 acres in size that belonged to my neighbor. That depression was hard to get to on foot, let alone with a vehicle, and as such, had apparently never been timbered, at least not in the last 100 years. It was mostly beech trees about 3-4 feet in diameter and randomly spaced about 30 yards apart or so. Virtually no underbrush in the whole bowl. A most beautiful site that let you look beneath the canopy all the way to the far side where a ridge rose again. Always my lunch site when hunting and just a wonderful place to sit for a few hours and contemplate life. Yes, you could easily run horses and pull wagons through the place.

I got a gun, now all that I need is a horse! so when I do this will help.

..... "Horses have two brain cells: Dumb and Dumber"....... .. horses have only one response to a problem: Run!
Shot over the head of an older horse, ...... Polecat

Oldbear63, yes, and is why the horse must be trained. Mine doesn't like flapping skirts on screaming kids....sent me to the ground at Mississinua in 2019. But he isn't phased by the gunfire, Natives screaming and yelling, Cannon and Ground effects. He is a good warhorse. Photo myself and Frosty getting ready for the field as Territorial Rangers.
121258998_10214242148727630_8959845288344926971_n.jpg

Dale Lilly, You know how very lucky you are to have that happen on a rock solid sane and experienced horse. First lesson for he shooter after the horse is trained is to never shoot over the horses head. They also make earplugs for horses in two different styles. ...yea, Earplugs!

As for how to carry, depends on your person. Most rifles do not have slings on them. Those are just carried across the pomell / lap. Handguns can be in 'buckets' on either side of the saddle in front of you, or holsters on your person. Civil war era, rifles were carried on a cross body strap with a large caribiner like latch. The rifle slid down in a padded ring attached to the saddle just behind the rider. I wish I had a photo of my rig. Sadly, I have a few of me in Union duds, but not with my carbine. ......, but here is one:
DSC08135.jpg

and how it is on a saddle:
unnamed.jpg

Attachments

• 121258998_10214242148727630_8959845288344926971_n.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC08135.jpg
    DSC08135.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 42
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 43
Oldbear63, yes, and is why the horse must be trained. Mine doesn't like flapping skirts on screaming kids....sent me to the ground at Mississinua in 2019. But he isn't phased by the gunfire, Natives screaming and yelling, Cannon and Ground effects. He is a good warhorse. Photo myself and Frosty getting ready for the field as Territorial Rangers.

Dale Lilly, You know how very lucky you are to have that happen on a rock solid sane and experienced horse. First lesson for he shooter after the horse is trained is to never shoot over the horses head. They also make earplugs for horses in two different styles. ...yea, Earplugs!

As for how to carry, depends on your person. Most rifles do not have slings on them. Those are just carried across the pomell / lap. Handguns can be in 'buckets' on either side of the saddle in front of you, or holsters on your person. Civil war era, rifles were carried on a cross body strap with a large caribiner like latch. The rifle slid down in a padded ring attached to the saddle just behind the rider. I wish I had a photo of my rig. Sadly, I have a few of me in Union duds, but not with my carbine. ......, but here is one:
DSC08135.jpg

and how it is on a saddle:
unnamed.jpg

That is super cool. Thank you.

Her point was that horses are simple creatures with simple responses. She spoke with quite a bit of experience. Personally I have little (with horses).
Horses are much like dogs. I haven’t owned one since the 1980s but they love you if you love them and will give all for you.
They are still an animal and have instincts you have to work with.
They have humor and enjoy playing with you.
Dumb and dumber, yes, but that described most people I’ve known.

Back