• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How to carry a long rifle on a horse.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oldbear63, yes, and is why the horse must be trained. Mine doesn't like flapping skirts on screaming kids....sent me to the ground at Mississinua in 2019. But he isn't phased by the gunfire, Natives screaming and yelling, Cannon and Ground effects. He is a good warhorse. Photo myself and Frosty getting ready for the field as Territorial Rangers.
121258998_10214242148727630_8959845288344926971_n.jpg

Dale Lilly, You know how very lucky you are to have that happen on a rock solid sane and experienced horse. First lesson for he shooter after the horse is trained is to never shoot over the horses head. They also make earplugs for horses in two different styles. ...yea, Earplugs!

As for how to carry, depends on your person. Most rifles do not have slings on them. Those are just carried across the pomell / lap. Handguns can be in 'buckets' on either side of the saddle in front of you, or holsters on your person. Civil war era, rifles were carried on a cross body strap with a large caribiner like latch. The rifle slid down in a padded ring attached to the saddle just behind the rider. I wish I had a photo of my rig. Sadly, I have a few of me in Union duds, but not with my carbine. ......, but here is one:
DSC08135.jpg

and how it is on a saddle:
unnamed.jpg

Good looking setup and thanks for the pics
Looks like a Hawken style would ride well that way.

Like all other habits of fur trappers, it depended on what the trapper liked. I would believe that the easiest way was across the saddle in front of the rider, But if I was in unfamiliar country, I might carry my rifle in my off hand in order to bring it to the shoulder quickly.

.... A horse is always a reflection of his owner/rider and a product of his handling.
They are very sensitive and perceptive individuals.
Well said, Oh, so true..I quote you to emphasize that truth.
....and in dogs why I like the Vizslas too.
Horses are much like dogs. I....
Yes, very much so... and just like dogs. You must remain 'pack' leader, or in this case "Herd leader' I'm always the top mare of the herd. .. the boss. That and introduction to gunfire is similar. With dogs, you have to do it as puppies. Horses are a little different. It helps doing it when they are young, but to tolerance is always the key.
Consider Ear plugs for the horse. (I get Frosty's at stateline tack) Never shoot over the horses head.

Start out 50 yards or so away clapping two chunks of 2x4 wood together... till you can get close. Finally you can get on and clap the boards together. Then to the 'real guns'.

Start with a 22 LR with the caps from the hardware store as blanks. (just remember to thoroughly clean the gun after) Repeat......same distance, or further till your close, then on and riding. After the 22, the next two I made blanks for are a 38spl and a 12 ga. shotgun. Then started with the cap n ball pistol, then the flintlock pistol and both the sharps and flintlock trade guns... Finally I tried live fire a few times as the sound is much different. Expect this to take several months.

As always, remain top of the herd. If you are riding and the horse balks or prances about anything. Immediately bend that neck so they kiss your boot. My only incident at a reenactment event was when a group of kids, though told not to, ran by. One girl had a petticoat that Frosty wasn't used to. I guess he thought the creature in the flying petticoat was going to eat him. He went sideways 6 feet, I didn't. Put me off the field for Mississinua in 2019, but fortunately we had 2 other experienced riders in our group who gladly rode him into battle. (I was proud as both are actually much more experienced as I and Frosty never had a moment of doubt.

Photo of Frosty. Tucker saddle with hand forged stirrups. His bit is one I made on the forge, just a straight Mullen bit, but doesn't have it on here. That's just his halter.

Yes, I use a surcingle on all my saddles. You may consider one as well for hunting. It's just a long comfortable canvas woven strap with leather ends and a hefty cast brass buckle that goes all the way around the horse and the saddle.
193818414_10215411960172185_3674225013771402552_n.jpg

Frosty he is a Creamello Quarterhorse. Not quite white. If you look close, he has a white stripe on his nose. He is 17 or 18 years old this year.

Well said, Oh, so true..I quote you to emphasize that truth.
....and in dogs why I like the Vizslas too.

Yes, very much so... and just like dogs. You must remain 'pack' leader, or in this case "Herd leader' I'm always the top mare of the herd. .. the boss. That and introduction to gunfire is similar. With dogs, you have to do it as puppies. Horses are a little different. It helps doing it when they are young, but to tolerance is always the key.
Consider Ear plugs for the horse. (I get Frosty's at stateline tack) Never shoot over the horses head.

Start out 50 yards or so away clapping two chunks of 2x4 wood together... till you can get close. Finally you can get on and clap the boards together. Then to the 'real guns'.

Start with a 22 LR with the caps from the hardware store as blanks. (just remember to thoroughly clean the gun after) Repeat......same distance, or further till your close, then on and riding. After the 22, the next two I made blanks for are a 38spl and a 12 ga. shotgun. Then started with the cap n ball pistol, then the flintlock pistol and both the sharps and flintlock trade guns... Finally I tried live fire a few times as the sound is much different. Expect this to take several months.

As always, remain top of the herd. If you are riding and the horse balks or prances about anything. Immediately bend that neck so they kiss your boot. My only incident at a reenactment event was when a group of kids, though told not to, ran by. One girl had a petticoat that Frosty wasn't used to. I guess he thought the creature in the flying petticoat was going to eat him. He went sideways 6 feet, I didn't. Put me off the field for Mississinua in 2019, but fortunately we had 2 other experienced riders in our group who gladly rode him into battle. (I was proud as both are actually much more experienced as I and Frosty never had a moment of doubt.

Photo of Frosty. Tucker saddle with hand forged stirrups. His bit is one I made on the forge, just a straight Mullen bit, but doesn't have it on here. That's just his halter.

Yes, I use a surcingle on all my saddles. You may consider one as well for hunting. It's just a long comfortable canvas woven strap with leather ends and a hefty cast brass buckle that goes all the way around the horse and the saddle. View attachment 79120
Frosty he is a Creamello Quarterhorse. Not quite white. If you look close, he has a white stripe on his nose. He is 17 or 18 years old this year.
Nice horse and insight

I have about 20 years experience each with long rifles and horses but never together. You never know what horses will be afraid of. My horse of 20 years was scared to death of flappy things and little white butterflies. I never shot around him, but a friend was trying to desensitize his horse to gunfire when we were around. The friend's horse took off with every shot. My horse looked up at the first one and went back to grazing ignoring the rest.

........The friend's horse took off with every shot. My horse looked up at the first one and went back to grazing ignoring the rest.
Your friend was probably trying to do it to quckly. I had a horse before Frosty that just wouldn't accept me as herd leader so I never tried. He was flighty whenthe barn owner shot stuff. I sold him..... Your horse would be hired. LOL Good furbaby.

poor guy some one please help the poor guy out!!
Not the original poster. You are quoting Hawkeye2 the OP is from Hawken 1980

I grew up riding horses and mules. My first job was riding fence for the neighbor's 4500 acre spread at 14.

I have shot off livestock many times, but never my muzzleloader. I HAVE carried my muzzleloader many times to hunt on my mule. I always laid the rifle across the saddle or carried it in one hand at my side. Yes it got a few scratches from brush, but was never knocked out of my hands.

I saw a movie where someone took an old lace up boot with the toe out, tied it to the saddle, and slid the rifle in the top, the lock stopping the rifle from moving further. I always wanted to try it.

If you grew up riding then carrying a rifle is just an extension of riding. All the naysayers haven't spent much time in the saddle or ridden well trained stock.

Dad was going hunting with a friend and gonna drop off my 11 year old brother at the neighbor's. He mounted, bubba got on behind, mom handed dad his favorite rifle.
Koko, dad's Thoroughbred stud, decided it was his chance to goat (slightly buck) across the yard, then crossed the road, into the garden, then down a 3' drop off back to the road. Dad had the reins in 1 hand and the rifle in the other. Bubba stayed on hanging onto dad's shirt.

Dad rode into the yard, Bubba decided he didn't wanna see the neighbors, and dad's friend lit a Camel and said " at least he didn't wait till in the timber to buck". They rode off without further incident.

I grew up riding horses and mules. My first job was riding fence for the neighbor's 4500 acre spread at 14.

I have shot off livestock many times, but never my muzzleloader. I HAVE carried my muzzleloader many times to hunt on my mule. I always laid the rifle across the saddle or carried it in one hand at my side. Yes it got a few scratches from brush, but was never knocked out of my hands.

I saw a movie where someone took an old lace up boot with the toe out, tied it to the saddle, and slid the rifle in the top, the lock stopping the rifle from moving further. I always wanted to try it.

If you grew up riding then carrying a rifle is just an extension of riding. All the naysayers haven't spent much time in the saddle or ridden well trained stock.

Dad was going hunting with a friend and gonna drop off my 11 year old brother at the neighbor's. He mounted, bubba got on behind, mom handed dad his favorite rifle.
Koko, dad's Thoroughbred stud, decided it was his chance to goat (slightly buck) across the yard, then crossed the road, into the garden, then down a 3' drop off back to the road. Dad had the reins in 1 hand and the rifle in the other. Bubba stayed on hanging onto dad's shirt.

Dad rode into the yard, Bubba decided he didn't wanna see the neighbors, and dad's friend lit a Camel and said " at least he didn't wait till in the timber to buck". They rode off without further incident.

Good story and yes I agree with you.

I have been very surprised at the pushback on this topic from a living history sight.

I would of thought that adding other elements like riding would go hand in hand with this sights goals.

Good story and yes I agree with you.

I have been very surprised at the pushback on this topic from a living history sight.

I would of thought that adding other elements like riding would go hand in hand with this sights goals.

Yea the internet has become a place where useless people can finally make themselves heard. And you can't stop them from sharing their moron advice and observances on a site like this. But I found some really good insight from several people with real experience or who did look for historical references. There are some great people on this board, which is why I stuck around longer than expected. You just have to wade through the stupid ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn’t take too long at hunting on horses or possibly fighting on them,or just knowing of horse and rifles before you realize that shorter gets better however meantime’s ,carrying it across the pommel is the best way to have it comfortable and ready.the native Americans even cut down Fowler’s for this.as far as accidents,drops,and entanglements with brush you either learn to be a horseman or just be a townie,by the way it helps to assure yourself that your horse is trained in these manners also,it prevents failures to communicate! I had the pleasure of owning a great little Appaloosa mare once,I trained her from very young starting with cb caps and working up to deer calibers,I hunted with her and it was like having deer radar and super cover scent protection,I used to just ride in the woods too and if I came to a herd it was fun to give chase,she loved it too!shining times!
By all means ask questions talk to those who do it ,know your level of ability,and your horses and love it,well trained horses are great.what you want to do is great just get you and your horse prepped for it.

Last edited:
As a side note, I have been wondering about carrying my long rifle, 42" barrel, on a trip to the range when riding on a motorcycle. I have taken a modern shotgun which can be broken down, making a smaller package.
I had a rifle rack for my bike in the 60's. It was attached to the front fork and the handlebar, with the butt down, length wasn't much of a problem.

Look at the May/June of Muzzleloader magazine cover picture of how to carry a muzzleloader on a horse.

Picture makes sense.

I wonder how much time long hunters spent on horseback though, as opposed to walking and leading packhorses through the woods? I don't know much about how they operated, but a long gun on horseback in dense woods seems it could be problematic.
I do agree with you on that here in the northeast the native woods where I live are dense littered with rocks boulders and interspersed with swamps and mountains not ideal horse riding territory until roads were introduced,I hunted with mine only because of lots of modern roads and intersecting cow paths,in its native state horses were used but probably as pack animals except in more settled areas near theses roads.I have given much thought to this while still hunting here,before roads here a horse was probably a hindrance to a long hunter.

I know from real life experience (not something I read on the internet), that you can ride right up to a deer if you're a horseback (or mule back). We've done it many times, usually at night while coon hunting. The deer (plural) never twitched unless you spoke or dismounted.

Last edited by a moderator:
...I saw a movie where someone took an old lace up boot with the toe out, tied it to the saddle, and slid the rifle in the top, the lock stopping the rifle from moving further. I always wanted to try it. ...

You basically described the boot AKA Carbine socket for our rifles in the civil war cavalry. I thought it was nutty when I first started. I've since found it to be very uselful and convenient.

I already posted photos of the harness with clip, and of saddle with the bot.. but it wasn't clear. Here is a better photo from the vendor I purchased mine from. It's just heavy leather sewn. Some have made a c shaped piece of metal covered in leather so that the carbine pops out if the horse falls on it or something happens. (safety)

Sling for cross shoulder and hold onto the carbine rifle:
carbine sling.jpg

Carbine Socket (boot)
carbine socket.jpg

Socket in place on saddle:
socket on saddle in use.jpg

Jane with myself behind firing our revolvers at a reenactment.. yea we have great warhorses. We play with swords too.
Jane and Daruylee.jpg

Back